skil 1690 carb/fuel question [pic]

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketnorton

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
just got this runnin yesterday without bein bottle fed, has complete carb kit, fuel lines & carb vac test good, but sounds like runnin out after 1/2 - up to 2 min. reason for ? is when I got it, the brass tube at bottom of carb throat was pinched shut. I opened it back up. doesn't seem to make much diff, nor does giving it more lo speed fuel... starting 2-4 pulls w/3-4 shots from primer. no choke... TIA for any thoughts.View attachment 310747View attachment 310748

just got this runnin yesterday without bein bottle fed, has complete carb kit, fuel lines & carb vac test good, but sounds like runnin out after 1/2 - up to 2 min. reason for ? is when I got it, the brass tube at bottom of carb throat was pinched shut. I opened it back up. doesn't seem to make much diff, nor does giving it more lo speed fuel... starting 2-4 pulls w/3-4 shots from primer. no choke... TIA for any thoughts.View attachment 310747View attachment 310748

I have no idea if this saw has the same setup fuel system wise as a Skil1645, but I had a similar running problem on one of those. It was the fuel tank vent,[Type of duckbill] modded a Homelite one & all was good

Supply lines not big enough? Filters to small? May have a small air leak in the hose somewhere, probably at a fuel line connection somewhere, make sure its tight.

vac test on lines loses 2" in about a minute. so there is a small leak, imo not enough to do that. been wrong before... will try w/o filter. edit: also is not vent, took cap off few times.

Last edited:
I'd suggest remedying that 'small' leak before moving on. I noticed when doing these Canadiens, they are particular about how you route the fuel line from the tank to the carb. Easy to kink. If you are dealing with old fuel lines, replace them.

Are you sure your ignition isn't letting you down?

Can't help with that brass tube. Mine is pinched shut (so it seems) and works just fine. Never bothered to understand it's purpose.

Chris B.

I'd suggest remedying that 'small' leak before moving on. I noticed when doing these Canadiens, they are particular about how you route the fuel line from the tank to the carb. Easy to kink. If you are dealing with old fuel lines, replace them.

Are you sure your ignition isn't letting you down?

Can't help with that brass tube. Mine is pinched shut (so it seems) and works just fine. Never bothered to understand it's purpose.

Chris B.

when it dies, it will start right back up, with a couple more shots from primer... fires even without... am doing fuel lines today to eliminate that... when its running, I put thumb over the brass tube, no diff. bad condenser maybe? don't think its coil, dies too quick, as well as restarting... thanks for your thoughts/advice. pete

Back