Skip chain anything like safety chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecool85

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Is skip chain anything like safety chain as far as how much drag it has on the engine when full bar in wood?

I was wondering because I was thinking that a PP4620AVX would be an alright saw if it could pull the 20" chain a little better. I figure with a muffler mod and skip chain it might be alright.

Also, are skip chains less dangerous as far as kickback compared to a regular non-safety chain?

Is skip chain anything like safety chain as far as how much drag it has on the engine when full bar in wood?

I was wondering because I was thinking that a PP4620AVX would be an alright saw if it could pull the 20" chain a little better. I figure with a muffler mod and skip chain it might be alright.

Also, are skip chains less dangerous as far as kickback compared to a regular non-safety chain?

Skip would be less drag because of fewer cutters. Running a 20" on that saw is a definite need for skip. Much higher risk of kickback than safety, and more than regular due to the missing teeth being easier to catch on things. Be careful, many guys on here use primarily skip chain on everything.

Mark

Skip would be less drag because of fewer cutters. Running a 20" on that saw is a definite need for skip. Much higher risk of kickback than safety, and more than regular due to the missing teeth being easier to catch on things. Be careful, many guys on here use primarily skip chain on everything.

Mark

So a safety chain has more cutters than a skip chain? Because I know the the safety chain on my dad's 2375 has less cutters than the non safety loop on my craftsman saw.

So a safety chain has more cutters than a skip chain? Because I know the the safety chain on my dad's 2375 has less cutters than the non safety loop on my craftsman saw.

My father has a poulan saw that had something like ultra skip chain. It was less than 1/2 of the cutters than a normal chain. The only reason that chain could be considered safetey chain is because it doesn't cut anything very well. This set-up is to compensate for the 18" bar on a saw that should pull a 12-14" bar. Like oldsaw stated, compared to standard full comp. chain, a skip chain will have 1/3 less cutters.

His saw is a Poulan pro 4218. I modded the muffler, adjusted the carb, and installed full comp stihl chain. Huge improvement. A loop of skip chain would probably help it more.

Make sure you are comparing chains with the same pitch.

Joe, I know where there is a Poulan 3000 49cc (removable topend, magnesium case) that is forsale for $70 plus shipping. It is poulan green with the poulan 305 yellow clutch cover. I figure you could have a matching set that way. :cheers:

Check with scottr and make sure the 3000 has the same chrome cylinder or etc as my poulan 305 did. If so they are top notch saws.

Joe here is info link on the 3000 from Acres site. It is alot better saw then the newer plastic crap being sold IMO. Chromed cylinder.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...ac4577f51a69e10688256bfc0013b59b?OpenDocument

Matter of fact I have the PP 305 today that I am getting ready to put new AV mounts in and pull my used ones out that I put in to get him by. If you wanted any close up shots.

Homeowners please sharpen the freaking chains! Putting dawgs in and pushing hard will only break things trying to make them cut with very dull chains, AV front mounts said enough is enough. Not bad for AV's that have been in there since 1988.

Last edited:
I'm afraid you aren't correct there, Gary.

There aren't "less" cutters, there are "fewer" cutters.

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Juuuuuuuust call me "GrammarTroll!"

HA!

less, fewer, not as many, none too much... HAHA!

All boils down to me bein' lazy anyways...

LMAO... :laugh: :laugh:

Gary

I have the same saw got it last month from my neighbor. I put a 16'' bar on mine but still have the 20'' on that one I put some Woodsman pro skip .325 chain on it and for a 46cc saw with a muffler mod cut not bad. But one word of Caution when I got mine I pulled the plug and it was frosty Grey in colour way to lean. It took one full turn to get it right on the H side and Half on the L. As to safety chain it came with some kind of Oregon 33 chain with the shark fin on it even when sharp did not cut to well . But to answer your question No skip is not like safety chain But I would not put my trust in Safety chain being more safe Kinda like a safety on a loaded gun imo.
P.S I should mention I got rid of the quik adjust bar system on that one.And put on two bar nut's as everyone knows having two nut's is better.

Last edited:
But you have to do it about 1/3 more often....LOL :cheers:

HA! Not if you keep you chain out of the dirt... HAHAHA!!! :hmm3grin2orange:

Gary

If you saw into the dirt, it doesn't matter what type of chain you use - instant sharpening is in order anyway.......
:cheers:

It I hit the dirt often, I would prefere skip.

Joe, I know where there is a Poulan 3000 49cc (removable topend, magnesium case) that is forsale for $70 plus shipping. It is poulan green with the poulan 305 yellow clutch cover. I figure you could have a matching set that way. :cheers:

Check with scottr and make sure the 3000 has the same chrome cylinder or etc as my poulan 305 did. If so they are top notch saws.

Wow, thats a really good deal. Those poulans actually look like a decent machine. I'm not in the market right now, just doing research. I've actually heard some pretty good things about the 295/4620AVX as long as you pull the limiter caps and tune the carb correctly. Seems like thats the big issue with all poulans made in the last 10-15 years, set WAY too lean from the factory. No wonder you read about people having their saws seize after only 10 hours of use :dizzy: Then they blame it on Poulan making a junky saw, when all they really did was tune it poorly. EPA loves it though.

That is correct, they come way to lean from the factory and ready to self destruct in any cut by EPA settings. Good luck out there and......

Cut safe. :cheers:

Wow, thats a really good deal. Those poulans actually look like a decent machine. I'm not in the market right now, just doing research. I've actually heard some pretty good things about the 295/4620AVX as long as you pull the limiter caps and tune the carb correctly. Seems like thats the big issue with all poulans made in the last 10-15 years, set WAY too lean from the factory. No wonder you read about people having their saws seize after only 10 hours of use :dizzy: Then they blame it on Poulan making a junky saw, when all they really did was tune it poorly. EPA loves it though.
Mine did not have any caps, but the splined carb adjust screw you can get the right tool to adjust it or use a piece of tubing performable soft like brass or copper that you have to push on to the carb screws that will grab the splines on the screw then twist away counter clockwise.:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back