Skip chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jrcat

I bought 2 20" loops of 50 gauge skip chain today for my 365 and 372. The guy told me it would let the saw rev higher and cut faster isthis true? and will this chain be good for falling? I put one on my 372 and made a few cuts but I guess I didnt notice to much difference from the "regular" chain.

You probably won't notice it on a 20'' bar.... I use skip on 25''- up. I have experimented with a 20'' skip chain before and preferred full comp, Skip helps on longer bars. A few guys prefer full comp up to 36'' on here. Just see what works for you.:msp_thumbup:

I have used the jgx chain for noodling and like it for that as well as cutting firewood lengths. I especially like it when it is time to be sharpened.

Again for the uneducated ...please define noodling? lol

I am going to the woods tomorrow (as long as the weather liers are correct it may or may not rain and yes thats a trick statement). I will give them a shot. if nothing else .. less filing.

+1 on you probably not gonna notice much on a 20"bar I use RSF on 25"and above...Noodling is when you cut with the grain of the wood..Creates long noodle like shavings...unless your just screwin with me about the noodling....

Last edited:
20" skip chain on a 70cc saw actually should cut slower than full comp chain. Why? With full comp chain, there are more cutters per unit length of chain cutting the wood, and those saws are powerful enough not to be slowed when burying a relatively short 20" bar regardless of chain type.

Ripping firewood along the length of the wood. The wood comes off in long strips that look like noodles. I do this on large diameter wood or knotty pieces that won't split well. The jgx is an oregon skip chain.

Ok that makes sense. I really have no use for a long bar at the present time. I might get a long bar eventually.

Noodling: cutting rounds/logs along their long axis, with the wood grain. Produces long "noodle like" wood chips. Skip is not for making a saw faster, it is to allow more chip clearance in a cut. I run skip for this reason on24" and longer. It is more "grabby/jumpy" mostly in smaller wood. It will hep an underpowered saw keep its revs up, but this is not its intended purpose. I like it for falling, but you've seen my "falling". 20" on a 372, mostly personal preference

How much bar will a 372 handle?

25'' -32'' I would think it would be more ideal with a 28'' though.

Porting would help it pull a 32'' better though. Usually 30'' bar territory belongs the the 90cc class.

I have a 372 with 24" bar and skiptooth carbide chain and it cuts slower, but runs higher rpm due to less teeth enguaged. Skip tooth chains use less hp but have more space to allow the chip to clear. I am in the process of taking it off but may use the chain on a 55 cc dolmar and I think it will be a better set up for it. The 372 has more than enough hp to run full comp. and will cut faster on 24" or smaller bars. Even noodling is faster with full comp. chain

Who in our area can I get to do this? Or should I send it to MasterMind

Brad,Randy,Stumpy, & Mitch are the first on a long list of very good builders on here

Last edited:
I would have to say I would run skip on any bars longer than 28". I ran my 460 and 650 mags with 28" bars and the 460 mag had a full comp and the 650 mag had a skip. I was cutting red oak, and it seemed to me like the 460 was cutting a bit faster than the 650. I think it was because neither saw bogged down much so they were both running fast and the 460 has more cutters so it cut quicker.

I will say when noodling with a skip chain it does not clog up as fast and it is much nicer when hand filing.

Back