Skip tooth, 24" bar, MS361, Good Plan?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skidud

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm going to be cutting some ash trees that are between 36" and 44" this next weekend. I'm wondering about needing to get a bigger bar. I see the jury is hung on whether an MS361 should run (not could run) a 24"-25" bar on it and I see most of the time it's because of the specific situation. I've got about 5 to 7 tree to take down and once I'm done with those, I really don't see ever having to take down any trees much bigger than 24". Mostly trees in the 12" to 18" range are what I get into. I see that I'd be right in the range of the "2.5 times the usable length" rule for my current 20" bar. The trees are on level ground and can be dropped in any direction they please as long as it isn't on me.

My questions are then:

Should I get a bigger bar at all or save the money for more chains on my 20" bar, which will also need replaced before the season is over.

If I get another bar, what type chain would you recommend? Should I look at a full or half skip?

Does anyone have a good bar and/or chain for cheap? See my want ad that I posted or PM me here.

Thanks for your input

you'll be fine with the 25" skip tooth, if need be you'd be able to run full comp as long as you let it cut and don't dog it. I would reccomend a couple of minor mods to your 361 though. A muffler mod really wakes that saw up but what may be more important is to updrade the oiler to the 460R oiler (or just change the internals) the 361 oiler is miserly even with a 20" bar, but dry wood such as ash and the 25" bar MAY be too much for the oiler.
click HERE for a link to the 361 mods thread. Post # 6 will give you the part no. you need. IMHO this is a must for the 361 running a longer bar. BTW, where in OH are you? CInci here (there's a few of us around)

I'm up in the very northwest corner of Ohio. About 5 and 15 miles from the IN and MI lines. I read about putting a different oiler on it but that was prior to getting the 361. I'll have to look into that. I started the thread, as seen in the title, with the question of whether that bar/chain combo would be a good idea. The more I typed and thought, the more I kind of wondered if I could just get by with my current bar and take out the few tree that I need to. I agree with you guys that the 361 w/ 25" will do it and the skip chain would be of aid. I'm wondering more now if I should just give it a shot with the 20" or if that's a bad idea. I'm sure it can be done, but how much trouble would it be? Would the 25" bar w/skip make the job that much easier or should I save my pennies for a new 20" bar that I'll soon need. Saving pennies here is of the essences since I'm dead broke.

My ms361 has all it can do to adequately pull an 18” bar. I would not highly recommend a 24” bar on that saw. If all you need to do is drop 7 trees, see if you can find someone in the area that has a bigger saw you can borrow or ask around at your local saw shop for someone interested in dropping a couple of trees for short money. Once on the ground, slice and dice with what you have.

My ms361 has all it can do to adequately pull an 18” bar.

Yeah, and I don't get it. Some guys say that but other guys are saying they can run 28" bars with little trouble. I guess it's really the situation and what their cutting. For most my needs, the 20" works like a charm. If a 24" bar is going to be at all doggy on it, would the 20" make up for being shorter by having higher/faster cut speed? This is why I was having so much trouble coming up with a decision from other posts is because everyone's situation is different and then you've got 10 different opinions for each situation. I should rename my thread: 45" ash vs 20" full comp vs 24" skip. Maybe that would get me closer to the answer I'm looking for. Hmmm, maybe I'll do that!

My ms361 has all it can do to adequately pull an 18” bar. I would not highly recommend a 24” bar on that saw. If all you need to do is drop 7 trees, see if you can find someone in the area that has a bigger saw you can borrow or ask around at your local saw shop for someone interested in dropping a couple of trees for short money. Once on the ground, slice and dice with what you have.

You better get that 361 looked at. If a 60cc pro saw cant pull a 18" bar of full comp in hardwood then there is a problem with the saw. (muffler screen clogged, tuned too lean, tuned way too rich, low compression, something!)

I would throw a 24 inch bar and skip chain on it and go have at it. It will load the saw, but it will pull it.

You might want to check your local dealers, I have picked up used bars from the ones around here before very cheap.

Yeah, and I don't get it. Some guys say that but other guys are saying they can run 28" bars with little trouble. I guess it's really the situation and what their cutting. For most my needs, the 20" works like a charm. If a 24" bar is going to be at all doggy on it, would the 20" make up for being shorter by having higher/faster cut speed? This is why I was having so much trouble coming up with a decision from other posts is because everyone's situation is different and then you've got 10 different opinions for each situation. I should rename my thread: 45" ash vs 20" full comp vs 24" skip. Maybe that would get me closer to the answer I'm looking for. Hmmm, maybe I'll do that!

45" ash is not 60cc territory, but since that's all you have, you'll have to use a 24'" bar, how can you efficiently and safely cut down a 45" tree with a 20" bar ?.... go lightly, make sure the chain is sharp and you're running good fuel. For what it's worth, I've run 28" full comp on my 361 but it's not exactly stock....

What do you consider adequate? I have made 2 cuts with a 361, and it was long ago, so I can't speak for that saw. I have run a 034AV (56cc), and it pulls great with a 18" full chisel. I swapped the 20 for a 24 on my 6400 right after I bought it, and it seems to pull that just fine. :confused:

Nothing wrong with my ms361 that did not come from stihl. No matter what you read here, the ms361 is a 59cc saw with an EPA muffler. If you want to burn up your saw with a 24” bar, that’s your business. A 24” bar is 70cc territory. I run them on my 372s and they do fine. You could run a 24” bar on a DCS6401 with a light hand but that saw is in a different class than the ms361.

It is your saw, your bar and eventually your choice. Bottom line, an ms361 wearing a 24” bar felling a 45” ash tree is a bad plan. Get a bigger saw or get some help. Why risk your life and your saw??

Cent, ol' buddy, i hate to disagree, and i'm no 361 or stihl fanboy, but i would certainly be happy to take on 7-45" trees with a 361 is that is all i had and had no plans to buy anything larger. that amount of cutting isn't going to reduce the life-span of that engine.

As long as you take it easy the 361 will pull a 25 inch bar with skip chain no problem. I can run full comp on mine, it doesnt really like it that much, but its great for limbing dead trees and cutting brush when you need the extra amount of bar.

I would either go with a Stihl 25 inch ES bar and RSF chain or go with the easier route of borrowing a friend with a larger saw.

Cent, ol' buddy, i hate to disagree, and i'm no 361 or stihl fanboy, but i would certainly be happy to take on 7-45" trees with a 361 is that is all i had and had no plans to buy anything larger. that amount of cutting isn't going to reduce the life-span of that engine.

Not a problem. South GA is a long way from Ohio so I guess you will not have to put your tree felling prowess to the test. You want to take a swing at felling 45” trees with that little fly swatter combo, you can have at it. I have better thing to do with my time and life. The OP asked if it was a good idea or a bad one. My vote is bad idea. Are your seriously recommending he attempt this???

Not a problem. South GA is a long way from Ohio so I guess you will not have to put your tree felling prowess to the test. You want to take a swing at felling 45” trees with that little fly swatter combo, you can have at it. I have better thing to do with my time and life. The OP asked if it was a good idea or a bad one. My vote is bad idea. Are your seriously recommending he attempt this???

In all practicality though, I would only attempt to cut 45 inch timber with my 361 if it was an emergency or storm cleanup situation. If it were me, I would call Gary or a couple other buddies to tackle it.

Or use a 300 excavator...

Back