Skip tooth milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter nap

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Yesterday and today, I milled several VERY LARGE tulip poplar's.

These trees were big and I didn't think I would finish before the owner made firewood out of them (the only reason he didn't in the first place was that he couldn't come close to cutting them with his 18" saw)

Anyway...using my 10 degree rip chains was slow and I had powdery saydust a foot thick next to the biggest log.

I got fed up and stuck a skip tooth 60 degree chain on and BOY did that sucker rip. The boards were rough...so what! I cut them oversize so I could plane them anyway.

Anyone else try this before.

Yup! And if you straighten that tooth angle out it will cut a little slower but much smoother.

Yep, tradeoff. Standard chain cuts faster, but rougher finish and dulls faster.

I've got some skip chains for big wood. Like them.

Mark

Was that chizel skip you used? Bet it left some big noodles.:jawdrop:

Sure did! I was as happy as could be too. I was tired of rushing and not getting anywhere. The trailer had at least 3000 lbs of lumber on it when I left.

I got enough from those trees to completely do the loft ceilings in the weekend house.

I'm glad that sped things up for you!I find it is good for softwood like poplar but different when it comes to hardwood unless you use a very big saw and sharpen often.

All I use to mill now are skip tooth round ground chisel. Rougher surface than milling chain, but I'm only using the csm to get the log into cants, and the Ripsaw then makes the boards.

All I use to mill now are skip tooth round ground chisel. Rougher surface than milling chain, but I'm only using the csm to get the log into cants, and the Ripsaw then makes the boards.

Have you tried skip tooth square chisel.Wouldn't it be the fastest chain?

Back