Skull Buckets Aluminum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of vintage examples on Ebay that can be updated to a modern suspension system. That would be my choice. I'm still using my fathers old fiberglass volunteer fire company lid that was donated from the local mines back home about 1960. Looks like th one you show, but in yellow. Still works fine!

Anybody got pros or cons on these?
Aluminum conducts electricity and I believe that OSHA doesn't allow them in areas where you could contact live wires. The good news is that they are not subject to UV degradation from the sun like plastic helmets. Depending on where you work you may need either a 4 or 6 point suspension. I believe that USFS requires 6 point suspension. Here is one manufacturer:

https://www.tasco-safety.com/categories/hard-hats/search-hard-hats-by-design/aluminum-hard-hats.html

A bit OT, but I can't believe the number of people that reference what the USFS says as though it's law across the nation. Makes me free rather free, and yet I live in NYS! Just seems weird to me.

A bit OT, but I can't believe the number of people that reference what the USFS says as though it's law across the nation. Makes me free rather free, and yet I live in NYS! Just seems weird to me.
Well, if you cut on USFS land (and they do have a LOT of it) you have to play by their rules. I believe this also applies o BLM land as it is still "federal" land.

Well, if you cut on USFS land (and they do have a LOT of it) you have to play by their rules. I believe this also applies o BLM land as it is still "federal" land.

Is that for firewood cutters or commercial loggers? I RARELY see firewood cutters wear any helmet, nor hearing protection, nor eye protection, nor safety chaps, nor even gloves, etc.

Is that for firewood cutters or commercial loggers? I RARELY see firewood cutters wear any helmet, nor hearing protection, nor eye protection, nor safety chaps, nor even gloves, etc.
I work as a volunteer on federal land with several state and national trail clubs. Part of the MOUs with the feds is that they will cover you for any injuries/mishaps under workers comp provided that you are using the required/approved PPE.

I would assume that the commercial loggers are subject to OSHA requirements which are likely similar if not the same as the USFS requirements.

As you have noticed firewood cutters can do what they want but "own" their own mishaps/injuries. I know that the feds don't have the personnel (at least in our areas) to worry about any enforcement.

My current cheap safety helmet has fallen out of favor. It had built in ear protection that finally broke last year. I pretty much use ear inserts anymore, but still it maybe time to upgrade my protection from "plastic" to a metal brain bucket.

Anybody got pros or cons on these?

View attachment 895295
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...8&pd_rd_w=xq5Xv&pd_rd_wg=iCkpm&ref_=pd_gw_unk
It will be conductive of electricity , just something to keep in mind
I have always worn /still do a hard plastic one just like this

You still have lighting out there
I understand what your saying but others read these posts too so it was for everyone that maybe concerned
I can't say lightening is going to zero in on a metal hard hat no more than I can say it's going to hit an aluminum boat when your out fishing in an electrical storm
Just talkin here that's all and giving some thought on the subject , no advice just thoughts
Golfers seem to be a target for lighting, look where they are at and what they have in their hands

I wear a aluminum one at work. Always called it a skid lid though lol. I wear a aluminum one because a kid dropped a Milwaukee cordless off the roof with a t25 torx bit and it punctured another kids plastic hard hat. Not saying it wouldn’t puncture the aluminum one but I just like the aluminum ones Better

I work as a volunteer on federal land with several state and national trail clubs. Part of the MOUs with the feds is that they will cover you for any injuries/mishaps under workers comp provided that you are using the required/approved PPE.

I would assume that the commercial loggers are subject to OSHA requirements which are likely similar if not the same as the USFS requirements.

As you have noticed firewood cutters can do what they want but "own" their own mishaps/injuries. I know that the feds don't have the personnel (at least in our areas) to worry about any enforcement.
I would consider fewer "Feds" around to enforce rules that don't apply to people cutting firewood a good thing. OSHA used to only apply to larger businesses, not sure it applies to small operations. I've worked with different Federal agencies over the years. I wasn't too impressed overall.

Latest posts

Back