slabbing some wood on a beautiful day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noodlewalker

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
my brother came up today to help me work on the house, so we decided to slab some wood instead. my 041 super is finally running right so I mounted my home made mill to the bar and went to work on the smaller chunks of catalpa in the back yard. we had a blast! here are the pictures!!trunk on spool.jpg
lifting it up onto the spool was a bit tough, but worth it. it was a good working height for us.
topcut.jpg
topcut went well but we started kinda wonky on the board so the first 2 inches got muffled up, oh well its fixable
slab1.jpg
we felt pretty good about the first slab, so we had to snap a shot of the 041 for her triumph!!
slab5.jpg
slab3.jpg
I dunno what that is at the top of this picture, must have fat fingered it.
slab4.jpg
I was happy with the results, so we had to stop for a quick vogue moment, lmao!!

here is a close up of the grain, it is beautiful wood....wood grain.jpg
I will have my planer in hand tomorrow, these pieces will be nice cabinet door frames. and drawer boxes.

here is one of the two pieces that will make the base trim and window casings, its about 12 feet long and 30 inches in diameter, plenty of board feet to do the job!!
me and tree trunk.jpg
we set up to take that burl out of it first, made the cut, then the wind started to pick up so we called it a day. it was a beautiful day here in iowa, so we took advantage of the sunny weather. had a good time hangin out with my brother and cutting up some lumber. what a great end to a weekend!!

Latest posts

Back