Slightly off-topic - 2-cycle blower performance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the exact same issue with a PB 250 and chased everything on it. fuel lines good, got another good carb and it still did the same thing. I had to wait until another one came in so I could swap out the muffler as that was the last thing I could think of. Sadly that did not work so the unit was binned. Echo was useless in all this with no help at all. I believe the rumors are true that they are going to pack it in judging by how little they support the product.

Oh, do tell

So, what happen when you lean out the high speed? Does the engine speed increase? Or does it stay the same?
If only it had a high and low needle! It's one of the rotary carbs (RB-K90). There is a single screw that has some effect on the mix, but I've not been able to find documentation for exactly what it does. I can report that the blower performance deteriorates as I turn the screw from one extreme to the other. The best I'm able to manage is 5300 RPM or so, about 1500-2000 RPM below where it should be.

Take the carb apart and check the screen for gunk i just went through this ....not sure how it pulled crap up in there... also i see you tried a different carb was it an amazon cheap one or oem?there are 2 different screw's the high is in the back the low is in the throttle where the cable attaches....also once its apart back the high screw out till the lil brass keeper pops out the high speed needle has a lil hole in it like a lawn mower carb would i cleaned every thing including the brass needle hole very small...also the plastic piece that the primer bulb sits on has very small passages these get gunked up. any ways after cleaning all of the above and reassembling i was able to make it run good... i have done a few of these and the after market carbs are hit and miss. i used one on my bosses pb 251 and had to go through 3 till i had one that worked good...these came from the rop shop... i also moded a pb 251 and had an oem carb i bought they do not have the plugs and it ran very well with out a cat....i have done about 6 of them and its always a carb....the only way to tell was to have one on hand that was working perfect and swap it out....i kept sending the carbs back till i got one that worked good....the oem one at full price worked perfect but i paid more for it.....the cheaper ones some are good but many will not adjust... I say its in the carb.if you clean it and it does not work buy new and send it back till one works.....sorry for the novel.....i will take pics of the high speed needle tomorrow if you want....i have a few junk ones....count how many turns your at to give you a starting point.

it has a low adjust ment its very very picky i dont mess with it much

here is the high. if you back the screw slowly out it will pop the lil brass keeper out and you can remove the needle and clean it....20933883_10210950845470601_4636695360876851665_o.jpg

this is everything you have to remove to get the needle out...see the lil hole in the end of the brass needle20901664_10210950942513027_7505156007332205694_o.jpg

Take the carb apart and check the screen for gunk i just went through this ....not sure how it pulled crap up in there... also i see you tried a different carb was it an amazon cheap one or oem?there are 2 different screw's the high is in the back the low is in the throttle where the cable attaches....also once its apart back the high screw out till the lil brass keeper pops out the high speed needle has a lil hole in it like a lawn mower carb would i cleaned every thing including the brass needle hole very small...also the plastic piece that the primer bulb sits on has very small passages these get gunked up. any ways after cleaning all of the above and reassembling i was able to make it run good... i have done a few of these and the after market carbs are hit and miss. i used one on my bosses pb 251 and had to go through 3 till i had one that worked good...these came from the rop shop... i also moded a pb 251 and had an oem carb i bought they do not have the plugs and it ran very well with out a cat....i have done about 6 of them and its always a carb....the only way to tell was to have one on hand that was working perfect and swap it out....i kept sending the carbs back till i got one that worked good....the oem one at full price worked perfect but i paid more for it.....the cheaper ones some are good but many will not adjust... I say its in the carb.if you clean it and it does not work buy new and send it back till one works.....sorry for the novel.....i will take pics of the high speed needle tomorrow if you want....i have a few junk ones....count how many turns your at to give you a starting point.
Thanks for the post - lots to digest there.
The replacement carb is indeed one of the cheapies. I've bought a bunch of them (but not this particular model) with no problems. This new one behaves just like one I took off. I wish I had a known good carb to swap in. I'm getting max revs with the screw backed out a tad more than one full turn from lightly seated.

I will say this they are a pain in the ass.the rop shop cheap ones work if you get a good one...i bought and returned 3 and then got one that would adjust right... the others no amount of adjusting works....i think once the originals go bad they get crap in there that keeps breaking free and plugging up...the only reason i knew i had bad carbs was i bolted on one that was a perfect runner and it ran perfect. put the other one back on nadda....the only good thing is with amazon prime they take it back with out much hassle.... you will know when you get a good one it will tune right away.....they hard way is cleaning them and it works for awhile then clogs again ... i dont even waste my time cleaning them now. if it wont adjust i know its bad and send it back....you can sometimes get them to work after a clean and rebuild... but they never seem to stay right....but those are your 2 adjustment needles....good luck.

I hate those rotary carbs, pain to set, that's the only reason I won't buy an Echo trimmer or blower, some of the rotary carbs only have an idle adjustment, reason why a got a Robin brush cutter hanging in the barn now and can't get a carb for it anymore. Found one three months ago, over $100 for it, Makita price hike, Robin made cutter but blue.

Steve Sidwell, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

Oh, do tell
It is the general impression we are getting along with many other dealer out there are getting. The lack of service from Echo, and the attitude they are having in servicing the dealers. In the spring we had an open house and we asked Echo to attend. We assured then they would not be ambushed like they were at another dealers open house the year prior. ( That dealer had several thousand dollars worth of repairs, RMA requests and service issues that Echo would not step up and take care of. ) They of course did not show up. A competitor of ours has the same issue with the lack of service from echo. ( We do all the service for the Home Depot, Lowes and Canadian Tire for Echo. ) I have met our rep once in 5 years. We do not sell Husqvarna, no trimmers, Saws, Sewing machines, Bikes, guns nada.. and that rep will pop in from time to time. 3 weeks for a part, warranty repairs that Echo will drag their feet on, RMA's that are held up for weeks at a time... What would you think the issue is?

Latest posts

Back