sling shot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOP TREE FELLER

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just ordered a jameson big shot online W/12 ounce throw bag just curious what wheight size yall use? p.s. (from blueridge arborist supply) thanks first timer with giant wrist rocket

Last edited:
heavier the bag easier it is to come down and through the canopy. lighter the bag higher up it will go but sometimes it doesnt like to come down over the bark.

12'll work for you but i think i would rather go a little heavier for the big shot.

I'm using a 16 oz with mine. I think I was using 12 before that. Both worked fine. Congrats on the purchase, the big shot rocks.

What are you using to stow your line in?

heavier the bag easier it is to come down and through the canopy. lighter the bag higher up it will go but sometimes it doesnt like to come down over the bark.

12'll work for you but i think i would rather go a little heavier for the big shot.

I think that's why I went to a heavier bag when it was time to replace my old one. The 12 oz would skyrocket. Wasn't no big deal just had to back off on the draw a little bit. I think that's why I went heavier. can't remember really, it's been over two years since I went to the 16 oz.

I have 2 12oz. throw weights. I use one to shoot it up higher in the tree and just let it fall through the other side of the tree wherever. Then I attach the other weight (both), and lift that and work it around and through the limbs the way I want my climb line to be routed. The extra weight helps to bring it down through the crotches at slow speeds without hanging up. Hope this gibberish makes sense.

Hmm, I was trying to put up a link to the one I have but Sherrill no longer has the one I bought on their website...

Anyway it's a cube that folds up real slick and compact to carry your line and weights in but the real beauty of it is that it is like an open box when it is deployed. You can shoot your line directly out of the cube without having to worry about it getting caught in twigs and stuff plus you can flake your line into very quickly and keep it tangle free. It saves so much time and makes throwline managment much easier.

It is like this one but the one I got was less expensive. It was Sherrill's house brand called the deluxe cube. I know they still sell it, it's just not on their website. It was like $50 but worth every penny.

http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/Throwline-Storage/Faltiemer-Cube-606

I use a 16oz with mine. Works well. Nice toy :)

I use a 14oz weight with neon 3mm polypropylene line from sherrill tree. I have only had issues with White oak that shaggy bark likes to hang on to the line sometimes. Next weight I get will be a 16oz.

Buy the Wesspur brand of throw bag to use in the bigshot. They are rounder than Sherrill tree throw bags. They fit in the pouch better so they are "shot" not "flung" out of the big shot pouch. That makes for much more accurate shots. And they cost the same as any other throw bag. I use the 14 oz. You can still set a line @ 85 ft with that very easily.

Last edited:
wesspur

order there, they've got good stuff for less (and no, I'm not their salesguy).

Back