small bandsaw mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
would you mind if i put together some plans for this mill? i am a CAD designer so this is second nature and i have been playing with modeling it up in some of my spare time.

i am simply using the 16 tires as a reference on the sizing of the rest of the system so it will probubly be somewhat close but not quite a copy.

I'd love to see this.

Hey Rick, an alternative to quartering is to third them, I did this on some 30-36" fir, and it worked well.
Freehand rip the log to roughly center, then roll it 1/3, then rip that to center, drop that piece out, and roll it over so the wide V is down, rip in half.
If you stand these thirds on edge and slab, you get more wider vertical grain boards than with quarters.

i got a base down this weekend, it may not look like it but i probubly have about 8 hrs into this. i can already see where i will need more info or forge my own path. i will have to shoot my number over then when i get a little more established with what i need. i cant wait till i get farther allong, it usually holds that 90% of the work is in the last 10%

i am still not sure on how the belt is driving the one tire, it dousent look like it rides the tire and logic indicates to me that if it did both would want to ride up to the crown of the tire together. you can see where this would be a problem. so i am going with the assumption that there is a pulley on the backside of the tire.

i am going to have to see if i can find a motor model to work with. i have on old 8 hp briggs to measure off of but i am not sure the bolt pattern and shaft placememtn would match a newer motor.View attachment 170441

170441d1296488326-master-assembly-jpg

Nice work.

measurement's

Better built
You have a good start but need to add the size of each componant If I didn't send you the written plans let me know and will supply you with the measurements needed.
Gene

Gene, that picture was Jredsjeep. I was just posting his picture for picture for him. It takes about the same time to add them to the thread, as it does to open them to look at them.

here's a question for you guys (specifically gene): i'd like to be able to cut 24" wide. do you think that expanding your mill design another 6" (i believe you said it would cut 18") would work? the way i've drawn up my dimensions puts 24" between the inside edges of the bandwheels. it seems to me like that should work. i'm also thinking of making it a four poster instead of two. it won't take that much more time and i'm thinking that it may add a little stability?
any thoughts appreciated, as i'm itching to start cutting for this project!

insert random milling photo here:

12-20" wide bookmatched burr oak slabs and the best dog there ever was. (rip)
IMG_2004.jpg

Hey Rick, an alternative to quartering is to third them, I did this on some 30-36" fir, and it worked well.
Freehand rip the log to roughly center, then roll it 1/3, then rip that to center, drop that piece out, and roll it over so the wide V is down, rip in half.
If you stand these thirds on edge and slab, you get more wider vertical grain boards than with quarters.

Thanks poleframer, never crossed my mind to cut 'em that way. Just got back home, was iced in while visiting relatives.

30 in. mill

Mike enlargeing this little mill to 30 in. will work but it will require unproven changes, the frame bunks [ 1 in schedule 40 pipe ] may bend with larger logs, the, carrage frame will be taller and wider will be more flexible, it will not be a problem with large logs, but with small springy logs and will probly need a adjustible band guide for small logs and at least 10 hp. engine.
My little mill will cut a log less than 24 in. and will cut a 18 in. board. My 2 post frames are rock solid, some of my older mills would flex with smaller springy logs but my older brother and I have overcame that problem years ago. we build larger mills that will do what you want, but are harder to build, cost more to build, and we have no building plans except from memory and that's leaveing fast.
Gene
Gene

ok gene, thanks for the feedback. i think i will stick to your specs. i'd rather have a stout smaller mill than a problem prone slightly larger one.
cheers
mb

Bump, and a nutty idea?
Been thinking about making something like this as light as reasonably possible. What about using magnesium, or alloy 20" bmx wheels? maybe bore out the hubs for bigger bearings/axles? they should be stout enough, maybe use solid tires.

Thanks for the reply Gene, anyone else I'd ask why, but you're the man with the plan, and the knowledge.
Still thinking of a system for two widths of cut, a wide track for the 090 for 36" width of cut, and a bandsaw like yours for 24".
It will be nice to make different uses of the diesel engine, put it on the snowthrower in the winter, sawmill in the summer. These yanmar engines go for a pretty penny, lots of torque for the size.

Has anybody finished drawing up a set of prints with measurements yet? Can't build one today but love the idea and will be trying it in the future. Great work Gene and thanks.

Has anybody finished drawing up a set of prints with measurements yet? Can't build one today but love the idea and will be trying it in the future. Great work Gene and thanks

i started building mine last saturday. i'm still working out details but i'll keep you guys posted. if it works i'll post my measurements too. mine is going to be slightly different than gene's mostly due to the materials i'm using...

got some quality shop time in this weekend. finished the basic carriage and headrig (for lack of better word). gotta nice 13hp motor comin from a friend and then i can weld the supports for it. even got the hubs welded on...

photo-Copy.jpg

i decided to make it a four poster as i had enough square tube to do it. changed gene's design a little, hope it works. constructive criticism welcome.

rear view:

photo-1.jpg

i believe gene's design has the belt simply riding on the tire, behind the band. i think i'm gonna try mine this way first and then possibly tack a pulley onto one of the rims.
we'll see....

Latest posts

Back