small bandsaw mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AWESOME How do I purchase a set of plans?????

Hello Gene,
I am very interested in a set of your plans. How much are you charging for a set? I own automatedwoodworks and would love to be able to cut out my own boards.
Thanks Steve Marsh

mill plans

Hello Gene,
I am very interested in a set of your plans. How much are you charging for a set? I own automatedwoodworks and would love to be able to cut out my own boards.
Thanks Steve Marsh

Steve I will put the plans in the mail monday, I have made a few changes in the mill if you decide to build one give me a call.
Gene

Plans arived thanks gene

Just received my plans this morning. Gene wish there was some way to compensate you on your time. These are very easy to follow. You are the man. :cheers:
Ill shoot some pictures of my progress along the way.
Steve

I am looking to get back into this project. Santa helped me get a new welder this Christmas season so i would like to make a go at this. I think I have most of the layout figured out in my 3D models but want to make sure. i have never built or run a mill so i would hate to make a stupid mistake. i have most of the metal on hand along with the axles and wheels.

i suppose one of my simple questions is the bunk width is measured at 24", is that the measured width from outside rail to outside rail the carridge assembly rides on?

right now i have a old 8 hp briggs that i might use. does anyone know if that base would be the same if i later upgrade to a ~15hp class engine. i want to make it upgradable.

is this mill designed on a certain length blade? i know custom sizes are not a dealbreaker but would like to know if i have a target to shoot for.

i sent Gene a PM, hopefully I can get myself straightened out.

horsepower vs cutting speed

I have a question about cutting speed and what hp motor to get. I have a chainsaw mill now that is as fast cutting as some of the smaller bm I see on yt. I am looking to cut faster in addition to cutting down on loss to kerf with the chain saw.

Will a larger motor cut faster than some I have seen and how large?

Larry

Will a larger motor cut faster than some I have seen and how large?

I am using a 6.5 HP motor on Procut rail. I have cut around 15,000 bf with it this past year. It works, but 10-13 HP is recommended. The higher HP won't bog down (affecting speed) in the big butts. Looks like you are running a Procut style CSM- probably a 24" cut - I'd say 10 - 13 HP would be plenty if you're going to use the same rail.

T

tmar, thanks for the info

I am using a 6.5 HP motor on Procut rail. I have cut around 15,000 bf with it this past year. It works, but 10-13 HP is recommended. The higher HP won't bog down (affecting speed) in the big butts. Looks like you are running a Procut style CSM- probably a 24" cut - I'd say 10 - 13 HP would be plenty if you're going to use the same rail.

T

Yes, it is a Procut design frame. Thanks for the info.

Larry

T

TMAR-how is the mill working for you? Any feedback on design type issues you've had? I am getting close to starting on one thanks to Gene sending me than plans and all. I have a 13 hp honda, and much of the steel I need except the rails. I'm wheeling and dealing my way forward with this to cut costs. What are you doing with all the lumber you're milling? You and Mike1079 need to post some videos!

I'm wheeling and dealing my way forward with this to cut costs. What are you doing with all the lumber you're milling? You and Mike1079 need to post some videos!

i'll try. i've got some nice hickory logs waiting on me to mill. i'll have to rig up something to hold my phone in place. lol :cheers:

order a motor for the Gene Mill

Order a 15 or 16 hp electric start motor for converting my csm to bsm.

Gene was good enough to send me instructions and pics of the mill. I am not a draftsman, but if I have time, I am going to make drawings of the parts which I will forward to Gene. I feel as they are his design, so he can sell them or give them away with them, as he pleases.

More later

Larry

Awesome progress, I wish I was that far along. Two jobs 4 kids and volunteer firefighting keep me to busy sometimes.

drawings of Gene's mill

attachment.php

Have been working on drawings of Gene's mill for my use and Gene gave me permission to put them up. Will post as I finish them.

Gene's mill guides drawing

attachment.php

Here is a drawing of guides. Any questions, I will try to answer based on drawings, but Gene is man.

Larry

Nelson many thanks for your input here! I am underway with the build of my mill. I have aquired a concrete bandsaw that had a 17" throat opening. I am planning to obtain a min of 36" and be able to saw 20 footers. A couple questions still keep coming up in my mind any insight would be greatly appreciated. First in my search is trying to find a standard band, over custom length. I see 167" bands but that seems to be the longest without special length. Are longer bands standard? Or will I be purchasing special order. Needing to figure this part out before I start my carriage. Many thanks Joel

Latest posts

Back