Small gasoline transfer pump needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be careful of sparks.

On a side note I remember a Coast Guard safety poster from years ago. It stated that one cup of liquid gasoline that is allowed to vaporize in a confined area and then ignited is equivalent to 5 sticks of dynomite.

I think it's even much higher than that - I remember reading something like 5 pounds of TNT, and I don't think it's a pound per stick.

For a fuel pump, would a primer bulb from an old outboard motor's fuel line work? Also, I've seen small pumps that just run off a hand drill's chuck. Take a cordless drill and you've got a pump wherever you go. There is the same concern about spark though - even more so perhaps. Run one in the dark sometime; those brushed motors spark a lot at the brushes. You could pull out the ol' Brace and Bit I guess and do it manually. :)

Wow. Thanks for all the ideas. I went and got a 3 foot piece of 5/16" I.D. tubing, and my black carb vacuum caps fit over it nicely. Still spilled some gas on me and the floor, trying to move the hose from mouth to gas can, but it did work.

I have been pouring into a funnel, but it is messy because of the cap, and the non pour-friendly nature of the gas tanks.

I will go to George's Hobby Shop tomorrow and look for a RC car gas transfer pump. I can probably throw that in the ammo can that I take cutting with me.

I think the hobby shop is your best bet. Just make sure gasoline won't deteriorate the pump. The rc guys use one of these and they seem to be inexpensive.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXB887&P=0

I am looking for a way to pour gas from a saw back into a gas can without spilling it all over everything. Since I have a lot of saws, it may be a while between uses, esp. for the bigger saws. So, I have started the practice of draining the tank when I'm done cutting, and idling the saw out. What with cap retainers and recessed tank openings, I seem to get a fair amount of gas on me and the ground. I went to the McMaster-Carr website, and they have some neat little hand pumps, but even the small ones seem a bit big for this, and they may not get it all.

Some sort of inline siphon pump that is small would be great. Is anyone aware of something like this? Thanks.

I got a small siphon hose with an inline hand pump to get it started at a local auto parts store to siphon out my ATV tank. I don't see why it wouldn't work on a saw. Northern tools might have an electric pump, but if you go that route be sure it is "explosion proof" or made for use with gasoline.

You could get a 12 Volt universal electric fuel pump from an auto parts place or JC Whitney and make something. (or maybe a local wrecking yard would have one out of a late model car)

Just a few thoughts. Good luck, and be careful with the gasoline.

I think it's even much higher than that - I remember reading something like 5 pounds of TNT, and I don't think it's a pound per stick.

For a fuel pump, would a primer bulb from an old outboard motor's fuel line work? Also, I've seen small pumps that just run off a hand drill's chuck. Take a cordless drill and you've got a pump wherever you go. There is the same concern about spark though - even more so perhaps. Run one in the dark sometime; those brushed motors spark a lot at the brushes. You could pull out the ol' Brace and Bit I guess and do it manually. :)

+ 1 I have used outboard primer bulb and fule line for years to drain saws also good for stealing $5.00 a gallon gas from your neighbors car lololo......

I think the hobby shop is your best bet. Just make sure gasoline won't deteriorate the pump. The rc guys use one of these and they seem to be inexpensive.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXB887&P=0

Thanks, Chowdozer! This is what I ended up getting, I think it will be great. No matter what I have done up to this point, I spill gas on me and whatever else is nearby. I think this will clean up my operation quite a bit.
attachment.php

Thanks, Chowdozer! This is what I ended up getting, I think it will be great. No matter what I have done up to this point, I spill gas on me and whatever else is nearby. I think this will clean up my operation quite a bit.
attachment.php

Can you give an estimate how many ounces it pumps per rev?

I'd like one too but I want to be able to move a gallon or so in a minute. :)

Just get the cheapest automtive electric fuel pump (aftermarket or salvage)you can find, equip with two 3' sections of fuel line and use a portable jump starter for your power. Works great! Most pumps even have a flow direction arrow.

Hand pump with a little hose. About $3.99 at Walmart. I use the thing to drain all my OPE tanks. Look in automotive area.

It's probably not what you had in mind, but the shop I mostly go to has a fairly big funnel on a gas can that they regularly empty saws into.

Last time I was there they had a huge stack of Stihl saws (new in boxes) that in preparation for pickup they had fueled, oiled and tested (each saw) then drained them. (Bound for South America as I recall.)

Low tech, but it seemed to work well except then you would need to store the funnel free from dirt for next time.

Large funnel. Clean off the tank area with compressed air and a rag. Works great and no pump parts to wear out.

Can you give an estimate how many ounces it pumps per rev?

I'd like one too but I want to be able to move a gallon or so in a minute. :)

I have no idea. It says it is high volume, but in hobby terms, high volume may be measured in cubic Angstroms....lol

They have a toll free number, its from the site you posted above. Probably not a gallon per minute, though, bit I dunno.

I also ordered special Vyton or whatever it is called, the fuel line that is alcohol resistant.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back