Small saw for uncle-Husqvarna

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel Pro

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have an uncle looking for a home owner type saw. A while back I gave him a Lowes gift card that we had not used in several years. He has since used the card, but received others so I'm pretty sure that this purchase is limited to Lowes although I could possibly sway this as Lowes seems to be MSRP all the way.

The contenders:

435 9.2# 40.9cc 2.2HP $269 at Lowes

440 # 2.4HP $299 at Lowes (incomplete specs on Husqvarna site)

445 10.8# 45.7cc 2.8HP $309 MSRP

Not looking for used (although I have considered gifting him my old 345) and nothing but Husqvarna.

I don't think I can stretch him to $450 for a 346XP and I also would be afraid of what he could do with it. He's a big guy, but I'm not too comfortable around him when he has power tools if you get my drift...

What kind of wood you cutting? The 455 may be in your ball park. The 435 has been a great saw. I've used a red version quite a bit and have beat the pizz out of it and it keeps starting when I need it. It's not real fast but not many saws are cutting hedge.

I worked with a climber that was using a 445 on some large oak tops, ran it on the ground a bit myself and that was a nice little saw, powerful for it's size and weight. He isn't exactly kind to any of his equipment and that saw takes a daily beating without much TLC and asks for more.

I'd say for the low $300 range that's a winner.

If the reason you are looking to a small saw is that your uncle is potentially dangerous with a chainsaw, I would spend a little more time gently teaching him how to not hurt himself instead of enabling him. I know it may be tough to do especially if he is a good bit older than you, but it will be a real drag to help him get a saw and then find out he dropped a tree on himself, his house or someone else, or more likely cut the **** out of himself in the woods or yard. No disrespect, just saying:msp_wink: I have a few friends and family members I wouldn't trust with a chainsaw, and if I don't want to be around them with a saw, I sure as hell don't want to encourage them to get one.

Of that group I'd say go for the 445.

If the reason you are looking to a small saw is that your uncle is potentially dangerous with a chainsaw, I would spend a little more time gently teaching him how to not hurt himself instead of enabling him. I know it may be tough to do especially if he is a good bit older than you, but it will be a real drag to help him get a saw and then find out he dropped a tree on himself, his house or someone else, or more likely cut the **** out of himself in the woods or yard. No disrespect, just saying:msp_wink: I have a few friends and family members I wouldn't trust with a chainsaw, and if I don't want to be around them with a saw, I sure as hell don't want to encourage them to get one.

Of that group I'd say go for the 445.

+1. Smaller(cc's) or and/or homeowner class saws can get you in trouble just as good. Good luck with your choice.:chainsaw:

Chaps and other PPD is already being discussed. He's in the city, but he's 3 hrs away. If anything big big he'll hire it done. Moderate stuff I have done in the past. I think he just wants something for storm damage cleanup etc. He also has a spruce that he wants out, but that's only a 15' tall scrub.

I agree a small saw can hurt you just as easily as a big one, but power can be a factor and a 346 is much more aggressive than what I mentioned. Not new to the sawing game, just not too familiar with the little Husqy's

What kind of wood you cutting? The 455 may be in your ball park. The 435 has been a great saw. I've used a red version quite a bit and have beat the pizz out of it and it keeps starting when I need it. It's not real fast but not many saws are cutting hedge.

I'm kind of leaning this way over the 440 as a nice light weight, reliable saw.

I worked with a climber that was using a 445 on some large oak tops, ran it on the ground a bit myself and that was a nice little saw, powerful for it's size and weight. He isn't exactly kind to any of his equipment and that saw takes a daily beating without much TLC and asks for more.

I'd say for the low $300 range that's a winner.

I have him checking to see if the 440 that they have is the E series or not and if the 445 is available.

I also offered that he can borrow my 345 as it just sits at the cabin as an emergency/backup saw...

Last edited:
435. Love mine. Under 10 pound power head. Balances well with an 18 inch bar. Very powerful for its size.

stop messing with home owner crap and get the 346xp with a 13" or 15" bar, job done.

If he doesn't have the need for one why get one? He already said this guy's fairly dangerous no need in giving him something he can't control. Just because it's not a "pro" doesn't mean it doesn't have a purpose.

If he doesn't have the need for one why get one? He already said this guy's fairly dangerous no need in giving him something he can't control. Just because it's not a "pro" doesn't mean it doesn't have a purpose.

No differance in controling a home owner saw to a pro saw.

445 is a much better choice than the 435. The 435 has two disadvantages IMO. One, it has a fair amount of compression for the size of the motor, and there's no DECO, so they can be hard to start for some people. Especially occasional users and older folks. Two, the 435 has a real small clutch, about the size of an Oreo cookie, and is not suited to much more than light duty work.

The 435 is a 40cc saw, and works extremely well for its intended and un-intended uses. Apart from the easy start part of things (added spring in the recoil) the 435 and 440 are identical.

There biggest limitation is the clutch.

Have a few "special customers that cut cord upon cord of wood with 136/137's and now 435's, there is no comparison to the 235/240 scuds.

A single 15 foot sapling and a few branches..and he needs a motorized chainsaw to do this?? And he is a klutz to boot? Whats wrong with a bowsaw? Much safer and easier to use for those sorts of chores.

A single 15 foot sapling and a few branches..and he needs a motorized chainsaw to do this?? And he is a klutz to boot? Whats wrong with a bowsaw? Much safer and easier to use for those sorts of chores.

The first good recommendation so far! A high quality bow saw(Bahco or similar) or even a silky saw will be much faster than any never used, old fuel, gummed up carb, unsharpened loose chain, deteriorating chain oil chainsaw. These hand saws can still set you back some major cash. But they can really cut wood! By the time someone unpacks the chainsaw, gets all his ppe, mixes the fuel and refills the bar oil, you'll be sitting back on the porch and opening a cool one with you feet nicely dangling in front of you with your hand saw.

No differance in controling a home owner saw to a pro saw.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner I was at work. I'm not disagreeing with you on that. But the smaller saw's wont run have the chain speed or ability to pull longer bars. Longer bar's increase kick back and so does chain speed. Plus if he buy's that 346 that's one less for me to buy later haha

The first good recommendation so far! A high quality bow saw(Bahco or similar) or even a silky saw will be much faster than any never used, old fuel, gummed up carb, unsharpened loose chain, deteriorating chain oil chainsaw. These hand saws can still set you back some major cash. But they can really cut wood! By the time someone unpacks the chainsaw, gets all his ppe, mixes the fuel and refills the bar oil, you'll be sitting back on the porch and opening a cool one with you feet nicely dangling in front of you with your hand saw.

You don't get all your PPE on when you use a bow saw? I'm just going to pretend I didn't even see this!:mad2:

:biggrin:

+1 for the 445

Latest posts

Back