Small Town Blessed For Chainsaw Lovers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodeneye

Hardwood Hunter
Reaction score
So, I'm feeling really good about my small town of 3500 people. We have a Stihl dealer just 15 minutes north of us, a Jonsered dealer right in town, and two new start up full service dealers - Husqvarna and Dolmar. Sure they're just getting started but what more can you ask for in a town this size. I have a new buddy on the forum here that deals in chainsaws and lives just 10 minutes west of me. He likes my knives, I like his old/project chainsaws. Win-win situation if you ask me. We've got a professional saw porter 25 minutes away that's also on this forum. To top things off, we've got two gas stations that sell 91 octane ethanol free gas. I know somebody in every shop, and the Dolmar dealer went to highschool with my mother and had a crush on her. One of my best friends works for an auto parts store and stops by regularly. Yeah, we're blessed for a small town of this size and I'm loving it! Five saws and counting! Oh, and access to you guys is free since my dad works for the telephone company. Can't beat that with a stick, eh?

Why did you remove your popcorn eatin smiley? Oh well, I'm happy with small town living. I think we're living large compared to a few years ago.

Speaking of small towns, I have a long-time childhood friend that lives in Elk River, ID., pop. 125. He's not doing well at all health-wise, so while we were on vacation in PNW, we went out of our way to go see him.

He's living with a friend of his and his wife. They care for him. Anyways, we didn't have a lot of time to spend checking out the town, as we were headed back to MT. and then home from there. We were there on a Saturday and the weather was nothing less than perfect. For such a small town, it was amazing that so many people were out and around doing things. The interaction between the residents was amazing. Even as strangers, we were constantly being waved to and told hello.

After visiting with my friend and heading out of town, I did see a large garage behind a house with a STIHL sign on it.

I hope all your saw shops survive. I have 1 in a town of about 40k. No way he could survive on saws alone. In fact, saws are only a small portion of his business. I do have access to E-free gas though :)

I think you could *if* this theoretical single saw shop guy actually used saws as well, ran a wood business/some logging or a tree service, etc. Ya, he couldn't be open six days a week at the shop, but once the customers learned the schedule, he could run saws, and then fix and sell saws, say half and half during the week.

That, or add a GOOD website and do internet sales as well.

You got that right, sunfish! I tried living in Akron and Cleveland in Ohio for two years when I turned 20 and that was not fun for me. Nothing like a hometown atmosphere. Sure, everybody knows your name and maybe a little more of your business than you'd like, but if you have nothing to hide, besides a chainsaw and small engine addiction, then why worry? Haha!

I think you could *if* this theoretical single saw shop guy actually used saws as well, ran a wood business/some logging or a tree service, etc. Ya, he couldn't be open six days a week at the shop, but once the customers learned the schedule, he could run saws, and then fix and sell saws, say half and half during the week.

That, or add a GOOD website and do internet sales as well.
All of our dealers have multiple irons in the fire. For example, the Dolmar dealer sells a special line of battery powered weed trimmers, dog food, plants, and has a catering business. The Jonsered dealer is a John Deere tractor and implement dealer. Husqvarna is a scrap metal and tire dealer. Stihl dealer took over a thriving junk store, but I don't think they do much of that anymore because hey, it's Stihl for crying out loud. So I'm hoping they're all here to stay. Btw, this is my 100th post! Woohoo!

I hope all your saw shops survive. I have 1 in a town of about 40k. No way he could survive on saws alone. In fact, saws are only a small portion of his business. I do have access to E-free gas though :)

This really surprises me. I live where in three connected counties there are to my knowledge 3 Stihl dealers, 2 huskies and 1 dolmar. All within 30 minutes drive between. The largest area has 50k population and that Stihl dealer will NOT work on anything but Stihl.

I couldn't even count on both hands how many mom and pop small engine shops there are within that territory.

This really surprises me. I live where in three connected counties there are to my knowledge 3 Stihl dealers, 2 huskies and 1 dolmar. All within 30 minutes drive between. The largest area has 50k population and that Stihl dealer will NOT work on anything but Stihl.

I couldn't even count on both hands how many mom and pop small engine shops there are within that territory.

I agree, especially after reading the OP. We used to have a Husqy/Echo/Toro dealer--went out of business about 1.5 years ago. There was a small engine shop here, called Sonny's (no retail but very good mechanics), been in business ever since I was a kid (at least 35-40 yrs) that closed within the past year; I was told it was due to problems with IRS. There is a John Deere/Stihl dealer here. Last time I was in there I saw very little still equipment and no chainsaws. We have Lowe's and Sears, which I don't count. That leaves the one real Stihl dealer---Marvin's. This Spring Marvin's put up a sign stating they will no longer be servicing any brand of equipment not sold here due to the amount of business they were getting. It created a back log they couldn't control and causing their customers to wait for weeks. I have been in there when they turn customers away. I don't know why they don't expand but I am not a business man. I do know good techs are hard to come by. My town is ripe for a good small engine shop.

No offense your town sucks I only have two stihl dealers locally and there both idiots

Sent from the international space station

Back