Small volume removal log selling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j_d

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I also posted this in the logging forum but thought it made sense to ask this group as well.

I am looking for advice on how to find small scale log buyers. My tree care company occasionally removes trees that make me wish I had my woodmizer band mill back. 99% of what remove is firewood or mulch but occasionally we get some real gems. I am able to transport the logs if the money is there.

I'm in western Ohio so not exactly a logging hot bed and the Amish buying for pallets hasn't been worth my time. I know of another tree guy that I believe sells to a buyer in Cincinnati but he is keeping it on the downlow. I know the difference between yard tree trash and something nice. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Around here it seems loggers take their stuff to some transfer yard and it goes perhaps to Canada. That pays more than local Mills. The one tree service guy I discussed this with just drops his occasional lumber grade stuff off and takes what he gets. Admits he isn't knowledgeable about grading and scaling. Half the lumber and provide one worker might be another option.

A drop off like that would be ideal. I am looking to network and hopefully find something like that.

Generally better to sell right to the mill, but if you only have a few logs, may be much easier to work with a logger and let buy from you and add to their truck load already going to the mill.

A guy I worked with several years would seal the ends of the logs for preservation. When he got a container he would send it to Japan. He would get from $20,000 to $40,000 per load. He picked the best of the best that were very beautiful. It did pay off, but lots of phone calls to make it happen. Thanks

Latest posts

Back