smaller dawgs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demc570

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
just curious,but put the 28" bar on my ms660 and from the tips of the dawgs it only measures 25" seems like losing alot,sthil rollamatic es bar 28"=3" loss.......i notice measuring my ms361 with 20" bar,from the dawgs its 19.5....only half inch lost...should one go with smaller dawgs? thoughts?? thanks:popcorn:

If you cut trees with deep bark(more prevalent on BIG trees) you will need those big dawgs. Buy a bigger bar if you need more length.

I picked up a previously owned Husky 394XP that came without dawgs. The local shop had sets of "regular" and large. I opted for the regular and they are plenty big and aggressive for the hardwoods I cut here in NY (pic). I have big dawgs on the MS460 and small dawgs on the 041. They all work but I do notice it shortens the usable length of the 20" bar on the 460.

Stihlvarna_zpsed2ab0af.jpg

Where I notice the big dawgs coming in handy is cutting stumps close to the ground. Your 660 will handle a bigger bar, it's just another thing you have to buy and maintain.

thanks everyone!..........i also have the a 36" bar and chain,it works well,but just notice the difference in the bar length......was just checking things out,i did a lot of noodeling today,wow what a difference having a big saw,and i love to run it,and i dont really notice the weight after an hour,but it is thirsty!!--------

I hear Stihl stuff is pricey, but I'm guessing a set of smaller/regular dawgs don't cost all that much so why not? Or make your own. I made a dawg for one of my little Poulans, and it works better than the saw does.

The only times I have had much use for dogs at all

was when cutting fire breaks, and really didn't care if the saw lasted more than a season. I would go for the smallest ones.

You don't like to use dogs to buck logs into rounds for splitting? They save a lot of arm strength and stabilize the saw in the cut. I wouldn't want a saw without them.

I just kinda lean back and hold the front of the saw a little off the log

and let'r rip, that's after reaching over and cutting the far side in a ways. With the teeth sharp and the depth gauges set right the saw does the work without much added pressure. If I was bucking 5 foot diameter logs I might need to dog it a little but all the big chinkapins are long gone and there aren't many og redwoods in the Ozarks.:msp_unsure:

Latest posts

Back