Smart Holder - Worth Getting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarksvilleal

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just saw the Bailey's video on the Smart-Holder. For $99.95, looks like it might be a good buy for me as I get going with my new Redmax G5000. However, I know these infomercial videos are often too good to be true - i.e., deceptive. Heck, they may be using balsa-wood or papier-mache logs in that video, for all I know.

But if the video is real, it looks like a winner to me. What I'd like to know is have any of you old-timer grizzled chainsaw pros ever used it, and does it really work as advertised, and is it the time- and back-saver that it looks like in the video, at least for some part of the cutting chore?

Last edited:
I bought one last year on sale and I love it. It is a back-saver, indeed. Other benefits: your saw chain doesn't come anywhere near the ground, and pieces are cut to length more consistently. I like the way it has organized my work flow.

I bought one last year on sale and I love it. It is a back-saver, indeed. Other benefits: your saw chain doesn't come anywhere near the ground, and pieces are cut to length more consistently. I like the way it has organized my work flow.

OK, precaud, thanks to your input I just ordered the Smart-Holder from Bailey's. I may also build a sawbuck according to plans I got from a recommendation on this site, but this one seems so unique and portable, and one that will store away very compactly, that I thought it was worth a try. Sure, I might be able to build one myself mostly out of wood that would work in a similar way (I don't have any welding equipment or experience), but life is short and I'm not getting any younger. I think my back will thank me for getting this one now.

Good deal, Al. You'll still need the sawhorse for stuff larger than 9-10" diameter. When I use my Makita electric to cut to length, I stack a couple bricks to put the saw on so I don't have to bend over to pick it up either...

I can't understand what good this thing would be? Is this for when you buy a load of logs and get them delivered? None of the timber I drop could be lifted up onto that thing and I sure as heck wouldn't carry it into the bush.

Not every place on the planet has monster trees. Around here, the best firewood is pinon. I'm lucky if I can find one that WON'T fit in the Smart Holder.

Most of my stuff is smaller as well. The wooded section of our lot was clear when we bought the land 35 years ago. The biggest trees are maybe 18 inches in diameter now, but there is a lot of smaller stuff as well, plus long branches pruned from some of our shade trees and fruit trees that would fit nicely into the Smart Holder for cutting without bending over. I burn as much as possible even of the smaller stuff in our wood stove. Helps keep the winter heating costs down.

I figure if a limb is light enough to pick up and put on that rack it is to small to waste my time cutting.

But, I also dont have any shortage of wood. If anything is smaller than 6" it gets taken to the brush pile. And anything bigger than 6" I dont want to be picking up to cut it up.

That thing looks fine if you are going to have small trees delivered to a site. But I prefer using my timberjack

11902_lg.jpg

to get the logs up high enough to make it easy for my small saws.

Though I guess if I used my 660 I wouldn't have to bend over much.

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back