smokey smell

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steel

Reaction score
Hello Folks
I just installed a ussc magnolia 2015 wood stove in my doulbe wide.It has an outside air intake. When it goes out in the middle of the night my oil furnace kicks in and I get a very strong smoke smell in the house.Chimney for the stove is 2 feet over the roof. Any ideas why this happens ????
Thank you:confused:

stove is cold, furnace needs outside air--pulls it down thru the cold chimney of wood burner----have a outside air intake for the oil furnace?? otherwise youd have to rig some sort of ele damper to shut when the oil furnace kicks on--better to bring outside air intake close to oil furnace--and that may not work--cause the cold air coming down the chimney needs no help-----

stove is cold, furnace needs outside air--pulls it down thru the cold chimney of wood burner----have a outside air intake for the oil furnace?? otherwise youd have to rig some sort of ele damper to shut when the oil furnace kicks on--better to bring outside air intake close to oil furnace--and that may not work--cause the cold air coming down the chimney needs no help-----

If the outside air supply is hooked directly to the woodstove and your house is really quite air tight the furnace may be pulling air in through the outside air supply into the woodstove and then into the house. This is probably more likely than pulling air down the woodstove chimney.

you guys are right on the money!

What they said.

Feed the dragon more.

The smoke has a lot of carbon monoxide and fumes that can make you sick or dead if inhaled. Don't wait to get this corrected. Either keep the wood stove running so the furnace doesnt kick on or stop using the wood stove till the problem is corrected. I hate to hear about winter accidents about people trying to keep warm.

Welcome to ArboristSite.

Latest posts

Back