Snagfalling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to flush butts too, just flush em up with the saw. Not much difference in sawing a sliver off or sawing a sliver off with an extra in or two of wood in my opinion.

True, but when you're straight falling and trying to get 250-300 stems on the ground in six hours, every step you save yourself counts big. Often times we stick with 'em on the stump and they launch already slicked off.

True, but when you're straight falling and trying to get 250-300 stems on the ground in six hours, every step you save yourself counts big. Often times we stick with 'em on the stump and they launch already slicked off.

250 in 6 hours is... 41 trees an hour - that's gettin' it done

and thus, there it is, the golden answer for why saws are woods ported

Your stumps look good to me... But I didn't see an angled back-cut... You should work on that. ;)

I'd like to cut hardwood sometime... Just to see how it cuts. We don't have any here to try... Unless you're cutting in the city limits, and those were planted around the turn of the century along the road systems. They don't come down very often, and when they do, guys fight over the wood. lol

Your stumps look good to me... But I didn't see an angled back-cut... You should work on that. ;)

I'd like to cut hardwood sometime... Just to see how it cuts. We don't have any here to try... Unless you're cutting in the city limits, and those were planted around the turn of the century along the road systems. They don't come down very often, and when they do, guys fight over the wood. lol

I have 2 fess that I'll stick with the hard wood, we've got the Hemlocks, Spruce, White Pine, and other conifers here also, Pretty good sized stuff 2, and I pretty much don't care 4 cutting them up. I do like how fast they can b sawed up though, hot knife and butter, compared 2 hardwood.

when i cut in colorado over the summer, i had to change my thinking and visual perception of lean in softwoods versus hardwoods, which is what i've been trained and learning on.

also, like treejunkie said, the difference in the cut between hardwoods and softwoods is very obvious, you can feel it to. keep in mind i went from cuttin' dead oak bleached white by the sun, to beetle killed lodgepole pine. for the first hour or so on my first day i had a few head spins finding the lean - but i always had a wedge in the backcut.

i also had a headache as we were at 9200ft. elevation - a change of 8,000ft from two days before when i left tx.

But the bark doesn't look like red oak....I can tell by the smell of the wood!! Love that smell!

U like that smell? I can't say that I like the smell as much as I like stopping somewhere after cutting on Oak all day and hearing someone say "who stepped in the pile of ****?" specially when u bore into a goosed out stump full of water and soak ur leg, yummy! It's hard 2 ride home with yourself. LOL

when i cut in colorado over the summer, i had to change my thinking and visual perception of lean in softwoods versus hardwoods, which is what i've been trained and learning on.

also, like treejunkie said, the difference in the cut between hardwoods and softwoods is very obvious, you can feel it to. keep in mind i went from cuttin' dead oak bleached white by the sun, to beetle killed lodgepole pine. for the first hour or so on my first day i had a few head spins finding the lean - but i always had a wedge in the backcut.

i also had a headache as we were at 9200ft. elevation - a change of 8,000ft from two days before when i left tx.

Elevation sickness is the suck! I imagine reading the lean on hardwoods would be a challenge for me... Conifers are no problem. Hardwoods have a waaay different weight distribution I'm sure.

Elevation sickness is the suck! I imagine reading the lean on hardwoods would be a challenge for me... Conifers are no problem. Hardwoods have a waaay different weight distribution I'm sure.

yeah, sometimes you'll have two leans
plus the weight distribution of the crown
it'll make you think twice, or three times before you start your undercut
otherwise, hangup or skybound and then you'll wish you had a jack

in terms of lean, i found the conifers to be a little more straightforward
at the outset than hardwoods

what do you think, metals?

Last edited:
The little production softwood I've cut, always pleased with the way you can pull them around, definately different weight distribution. And in the HW, wintertime and summertime is a big difference due to crown weight changes.

Lets see, asymetical form, heavy tops, massive root flare, sometimes with an awful lot of tension, yes, its quite enjoyable to cut, takes a fair bit of evaluation to do it well. Many species with different specs, behaviors, and value for future timber, wildlife, etc. management. And yes, you can bore in and find 100 gal. of awful tannin enriched stink water, even on a tree thats just wind shook and not even hollow. And you'll let it all drain out, shove your saw in again and cut and another burst will flow out. Gets all over your legs/chaps. I read that about the smell of red oak, some of which old timers around parts call piss oak. To each his own....

I'll let you know that the butt cut felling procedure shown in tree junkies pics are, shall we say, the penultimate textbook fashion of felling a valuable large diameter HW. That said, I'd like to point out that we don't do this whittling all the time, although the open face, bore cuts, and wedges are typical, maybe cut a lsice off the root flare once shes on the ground. I'd also like to point out that thats a hell of a cherry he's pictured with. $.

Tree junkie, are you working with self loader trucks? A luxury rare at best further south.

wish my stumps looked that good. Post oak is a great firewood. Where you at is this great state forestry works?

practice makes perfect. you gotta do it everday and really work at it.
not that mine are perfect, i still got alot to learn if i wanna even think about
doing it for a living.

i'm northwest of you by about 90 miles, headed towards wichita falls

We cut lots of post oak at my buddies place outside Coalgate, OK. Its hard to get a stump like that because anything over about 10 inches around is hollow or rotten in the middle.

We cut lots of post oak at my buddies place outside Coalgate, OK. Its hard to get a stump like that because anything over about 10 inches around is hollow or rotten in the middle.

must be some bad post oak then

most of the post i cut is good stuff, dead or green

i only get into rot and hollow when i cut blackjack

It is, and try that in a Madrone patch...good Lord that's miserable. Madrone in August cuts like glass. You're swapping out chains every 90 minutes.

Tree lengthing Doug Fir besides Madrone? I have done some, quite a bit really in the past, bucking one length off the big stuff. I've been fortunate enough to cut some really nice timber in my whole carreer. Not much handfalling in these parts if there's not a lot of nice wood, even tower ground.

I'd also like to point out that thats a hell of a cherry he's pictured with. $.

Tree junkie, are you working with self loader trucks? A luxury rare at best further south.

That cherry was pretty sweet, that was on state game lands (love the way that they manage their land) had quite a few beauties on that piece, took 2 little pics though. That butt left the landing @32' which is pretty rare around here, veneer logs make strange things happen. Wasn't forked, yet had a broad top 2 it, so I climbed it and trimmed it up a bit 4 where I wanted 2 lay it.

Yes our trucks are 99% self loaders, 24' bunks, tri-axle, there r a few tractor trailers that haul tree length but they 2 travel with a loader. and yes r truck drivers cry alot.

I'll get some truck pics up soon...

That cherry was pretty sweet, that was on state game lands (love the way that they manage their land) had quite a few beauties on that piece, took 2 little pics though. That butt left the landing @32' which is pretty rare around here, veneer logs make strange things happen. Wasn't forked, yet had a broad top 2 it, so I climbed it and trimmed it up a bit 4 where I wanted 2 lay it.

Yes our trucks are 99% self loaders, 24' bunks, tri-axle, there r a few tractor trailers that haul tree length but they 2 travel with a loader. and yes r truck drivers cry alot.

I'll get some truck pics up soon...

TJ- the veneer buyer probably just wanted it around the log yard for a while, a trophy. For others to drool over--- "How would you buck this up?" rolling out as anyone took a glance at it. I've never seen 32' trucked off a landing in the east, except pulp.

Back