Snakes are OUT !!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Non-Poisonous Snakes that disrupt the farm's egg production get dispatched. Most poisonous snakes stay out of harms way, but an occasional Copperhead has come into the yard, and that's a no-no.
I've shown this chicken killer several times. When they strike, there will be up to 5 during that season. Must be an overpopulation thing.
snakecharm0032.jpg

Snakes and spiders challenge my manhood...

Spiders?? :D

Snakes don't bother me, and I don't kill 'em either. I usually have a couple Bull Snakes in the wood stacks every year and I figure they keep the rodent population in check. I caught one just short of 8 ft long and near big around as my wrist last summer... the (then) 5-year-old thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. Much to his mother's dismay we turned it back lose in the wood stacks. I see an occasional rattler in the limestone outcroppings down along the river and I had to chase one out of the shop a couple years back. Supposedly, according to the wife and my mother, I should'a killed that one... (shrug)... heck, he was scared out'a his wits of me and couldn't get away fast enough.

I have never seen snakes in the wood pile or stacks but I always see their old skins when load the wood into the wheel barrel. I have only ever seen garter snakes, milk snake (once) and a black rat snake (once), and usually the skins in the wood stacks are only 1-3 feet so I just assume they are garter snakes. Does anybody else get a lot of frogs/toads around their wood piles before they split and stack? Every time I cut trees down or get log length logs I always see frogs/toads jumping all around.

I love to hate a snake!!! We have quite a few around here. Mostly I just let them be. Some I catch and relocate to the woods.

When it comes to the cottonmouth / water moccasin I kill them quick if the get around the house!!!!

Never found a snake in my woodpile but it is covered up with little brown lizards. They blend in real well with the wood too. Makes you jump when you pick a stick up and what you thought was bark runs up your arm. I have found black snakes in my tool shed before and I leave them there. Rather have a non-poisonous snake in the shed than the mice chewing holes in everything.

I never could figure out why guys carry "snake shot" in their gun. It is much easier to kill a snake with a stick or ax than take aim with a gun. If you are that scared to get close to a snake why not just leave it alone. Most snakes will run away from a fight with a human.

I live in SE Pa and have not seen a snake as of yet. The worst snake we'll see around here are copper heads. We have a large amount of glacial granite laying around the property - perfect for a snake looking for heat, so I'm wary when my daughter is walking about. I've spent a little bit of time walking through the various potato patches looking for copper heads, but haven't seen one yet. I know they're coiled up somewhere, because there isn't a rodent in sight. I'll just leave them be and carry on. Like others have already said, it's not the snakes that bother me, it's the spiders. I'm an arachnophobe.

We'll see what happens when all of the logs littering our property get stacked. I'm sure it will attract all manner of wildlife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wish I had some snakes that would eat mice around my shop. Tired of finding holes chewed in stuff and poop everywhere. They get on the machines and pee which causes rust. Hate using poison but that is my only option.
Don't like being around the snakes but know they serve a purpose.

Wish I had some snakes that would eat mice around my shop. Tired of finding holes chewed in stuff and poop everywhere. They get on the machines and pee which causes rust. Hate using poison but that is my only option.
Don't like being around the snakes but know they serve a purpose.

I feel like leaving a rat snake in my office at work for that very same reason! These Philly mice are tough and disgusting little bastards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back