Snkes.... Arghhhhh

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About the only thing I know of to avoid snakes in a woodpile is get rid of the woodpile. Everywhere I've lived and had a woodpile I've run across snakes in it on occasion.

Snakes in the winter?

Even in the winter, heck I thought they would migrate into the ground for the winter months? Maybe some mothballs randomly scattered around the wood pile would work?

Snakes, and a bunch of other critters as well, are just naturally attracted to wood piles. Squirrels, skunks, cottontails, and spiders all love woodspiles.
By piling up the wood you've created a habitat for them...all kinds of little nooks and crannies where they can get in out of the weather and birth some young.
If they're not poisonous just gut up and get used to the idea. And wear some gloves when tearing down the stack...even non-poisonous snakebites can hurt.

snakes are actually good for the wood pile. they eat mice and many of the bugs in there. i never chase them away for that reason.

of course, if you have a rattle snake or something venomous, it's a different story......

how can I keep snakes out of the woodpile ?

Aww heck you are in PA the snakes you have are not usually poisonous
if ever! Try my wood pile copperheads,blackwidows are commonplace
here I kill ten of each yearly in my piles! occasional timber rattler
but usually hear them.

Last edited:
Aww heck you are in PA the snakes you have are not usually poisonous
if ever! Try my wood pile copperheads,blackwidows are commonplace
here I kill ten of each yearly in my piles! occasional timber rattler
but usually hear them.

Are your Copperheads more Venomous than ours?

Are your Rattlers More venomous than ours?

Ever see the damage a Brown Recluse does?

Would you feel like s hit if he got bit by one of these after giving this advise?

I have gotten some stuff (forget the name) that had a strong sulfer smell to it...is supposed to keep snakes away. i will try to google it.

WHAT ???? I have TWO beautyful very large rattler skins hanging in my living room. Gottem both at two differant times this past summer not 100 feet from my wood pile. Oh yeah, dead smack in the middle of PA. I have several friends who hunt and eat the damn things. No shortage of meat either.Lots of people say cats will keep em away. Myself, I'd rather see the snakes. hehehe

Are your Copperheads more Venomous than ours?

Are your Rattlers More venomous than ours?

Ever see the damage a Brown Recluse does?

Would you feel like s hit if he got bit by one of these after giving this advise?

Ok the above mentioned animal bites alllllll suckkkkkkkkkkkk bbbbbbbbbbaaad. check out you-boob. I think I'd rather be bittin by a snake then spider.

Well if "schlong" is german for Snake, then I simply hate all schlongs. Big schlongs, little schlongs, fat schlongs, skinny schlongs, Yellow schlongs, Black schlongs..... geez I feel like Dr. Seuss.

Spiders, I can let crawl all over me... see a "schlong", I run like the ####ens.

snake repellent

If you buy snake repellent, all it is, is crushed moth balls, granular sulfur, and kitty litter(used as a filler). Just moth balls will keep snakes away, but you can add sulfur if you want.

Back