Snow blowers what kind would you buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saginaw22

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Well everyone I dont know where this post should be put so
I thought that I would start here.

I am thinking about buying a new snowblower and wondering what kinds you
guys are fond of.......

I live in northen michigan and were get our share of snow around here.

A few brands that stick out are

Toro
Ariens
Simplicity
John Deere
Cub Cadet

looking to spend 1000-1500 dollars

at least a 8-12hp with a 28" cut

I've got an old Toro that must be 15 years old and it still starts right up every year when I need it.

Simplicity builds an excellent machine.
I had an eight horse for years and moved up to an 11hp 5 years ago. I can't speak for the others but the Simplicity is very easy to service. The only repairs I've done other than tune ups are shear pins on the auger, and the light bulb for the headlight. Mine has a Tecumseh Snow King engine but I believe now that Briggs owns Simplicity they come equipped with a Briggs engine. Electric start is a nice feature if you have 110 available where it's stored. The big Simplicity's also have a very nice feature that unlocks the differential for much and I mean much easier maneuvering in tight quarters.
Depending upon what you look at, don't spend too much time on the engine, be sure to look at the bucket and auger. What gauge is the steel and how many and the quality of the welds. Can you bend the the auger blades with your hand? Snow blowers are items where parts availability is critical, being down for 3 weeks in the middle of winter is not an option. Make sure the dealer has belts and shear pins in stock at all times.
Hope this helps, good luck

Ariens are probably the best. I think they make them for Simplicity and John Deere, but I might be wrong on that. Cub Cadet is the same as MTD, and are decent machines, but don't pay more for the yellow paint. I don't have any experience with Toro. Stay away from Murray.

I am sorta thinking about getting a new one too. Yesterday I spent 30 minutes getting my old one started (5 hp/22"). It is old, old and I actually rehabbed it out of a basket.

Given a budget where I wouldn't care, it would have to have a Honda engine (I already own 3) but that puts the price up in the stratosphere.

I wil be looking for around a 10hp and want electric start but only if it also has rope start. I stall mine too often out in the state's plow berm.

Harry K

I would go Toro in a heart beat. My dad got rid of our Toro 724 (7hp, 24") when it was 20 years old (6 years ago) and it still ran great, it was just kinda heavy so he wanted to upgrade to a newer model. I'm actually looking at getting my uncle's old 1970 Toro (I think also a 724) for my driveway till I get the John Deere 40 plowing snow. The new Toros are built just as well.

I've been using a troybuilt 6.5hp for last 4 or 5 years. Once its started it runs fine but it took me almost an hour to pull start that bastage.I put this thing together new for my uncle and I have been the only one to ever use it. Every year I shut fuel supply off run it out of fuel then drain whats left in the tank just to be sure fuel is good the next season but nothing seems to help. Even when warmed up its a real pain to start. For like 6 hours yesterday I never shut it off went from place to place leaving it throttled low while in the truck. I recently moved and now have a reason to buy my own snowblower and I can tell you it will more then likely not be a troy-built and will almost definitely have a starting system on it.

We Have Had John Deere For Ever They R Like The Energizer Bunny Just Keep On Goig Going And Going

I have the JD/Frontier 10/28 about 4 years old. If I was buying a new one today, there is no way I'd stay with JD.

Another vote for Toro (I know I already chimed in, but this is another machine). I just got my uncle's 1969 Toro 832. It's been sitting for 10 years, I put gas in and it started on the 5th pull and ran great other than the stuck throttle (revs crazy high, had to shut it down before it blew up). The throttle plate just has some varnish on it and so it's jammed. A good carb cleaning and I'll be in business. It's a sweet old 8hp Briggs and Stratton.

F 250 with a diesel and Western.

I agree with newb......................but all I have is a sheet metal snow scoop. I usta have a nice snow blower till I ripped the auger off by getting it caught in the dog chain. Years from now when I decide to retire I'm going to strap my snow scoop to the hood of my truck and drive south until someone asks me "What the hell is that contraption" and that is where I will settle down and retire.

simplicity all the way.

they last forever and have the weight needed for traction.this is a lacking feature in many of the new machines.

they last forever and have the weight needed for traction.this is a lacking feature in many of the new machines.

My dad has a lightweight YardMachine blower (~5hp, 22" I think) and it does fine. He's had it for 8 years now, got it when I was in High School. We ran it through 2' of sticky snow no problem, and we used it to cut back the banks at the end of the driveway - 4' of icy, packed snow, about 2x taller than the blower. We run chains on it, and between that and just forcing it into banks I've never had a problem.

just make sure to summer-ize your winter equipment. Get some stabil for the gas and/or empty the gas tank every year. That will keep your equipment from corrosion in the fuel lines, tank, etc. Most machines do a good job just ask you salesman. Size depends on how often you are going to use it and the size of your driveway etc. Smaller can be better, just takes a little longer.

Back