Snow plowing options???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeJunkie

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm in a bit of a situation as i need to decide what vehicle i want to plow snow w/ this winter. I have a brand new Chevy 2500hd 4x4, which is my original plan. However i also have a 97 Jeep wrangler 4x4 w/ 4.0L I-6 w/ 33" bfg AT and it does well in the snow, it however has 95k miles. Thus i worry about the tranny/clutch, as it's a bit touchy. If need be this could be fixed before hand though.
I ask b/c i know it would be easier maneuvering w/ the jeep as well as the prospect of screwing up my brand new pickup. Well, this doesn't exactly excite me. I think I might as well use the jeep as this would at least give it a practical use, and leave my pickup for trees and hauling.

Anyone have an opinion? Anyone ever use a jeep for plowing? How did it do?

Jeep for plowing

I think the jeep would do pretty well every jacked up jeep I have ever been in did retty well in the snow. I would much rather use that then a brand new truck I think I would buy a a crap truck before using a 2500 hd for snow plow which is hard as he*l on trucks. Just my 2 cents

The Jeep would work...as a backup.
I'd rather know that a new truck is doing the job and less likely to break down. It is a worktruck isn't it?
Are you doing this for hire or your own personal work?

The jeep will be good for light snowfalls, and tight driveways. However when the snow starts piling up, or the lots start getting big, the jeep just doesn't cut it.

You've gotta trailer that weighs 9,900 pounds loaded.

Will the jeep pull it? Probably.

But wouldn't you feel safer pulling it behind the 2500HD?

;)

That all depends on allot of things. Are either of your trucks plow prep'd from the factory. If not you might have a prob with the dealer to do any kind of warrantee work on a truck with a plow setup on it if its not. The other thing is what exactly kind of plowing are you planning to do? If there's a chance you could be doing any kind of commercial lots then don't even think about taking a jeep of any kind. Esp if your going to be sub work, you would be lucky enough to pay for the gas from any contractor using a Jeep on lot work. You had better to check on you auto ins and you business insurance, make sure it will cover you if someone falls on their ass after you plow their drive. You know guys who plow for a living will look at you like you at the same way the guys here would if you were to pull up to do a td with a wood ladder and a hand saw.

If you want pm me and ill send you a link to a snow plowers discussion group. I don't know if its allowed on here....Rob

Anyone ever make any money at snowplowing??? Or is it just a convience thing for some of your customers.

The last few years around here have been very lean if you depend on plowing for winter income.

I've thought about it a few times, even checked into the insurance end of it. Doesn't seem worth it unless you know it is going to snow heavy and deep. The guys that do plow always seem to be putting money back into their trucks for repairs.

I'm kinda lazy anyway when it snows, easier to just sit tight and play in the shop or get out and do a few tree jobs I save as aces in the hole that are next to drives or streets when the weather is decent for winter tree work. The thought of getting up earlier and getting out to plow has never had that much appeal to me.

Larry

I used my brand new Dodge for plowing but that's what I bought it for. It's now eight years old and still running strong with no problems after 225,000 miles. Plus the snow plowing more than paid for the truck. I also have a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. I wouldn't even think of plowing snow with it. Wranglers just aren't made for heavy snow so I wouldn't rely on it when customers are relying on me.

Guys,

Thanks i think you've given me some good answers.

Here's the scoop. I'm going to be subbing for a large landscape company here in town. Primarily plowing one lot, it's huge. A large trucking company. Apparently last year during a couple of snows this lot took 13.5 hrs to plow for one truck. There will also be some other lot work, as my brother and i are planning on doubling up on the big lot to get it knocked out a little quicker. Anyway, they're paying $75 an hr.
The truck isn't exactly a work truck. It's 50/50. Its the LT version w/ too many bells and whistles to really be called a w/t. But i purchased it knowing i was going to need to use it to do some work. The original idea wasn't to use it for plowing though. This just came up.
I was wondering if this is going to void my factory warranty. I know the truck wasn't prepped for plowing from the factory.

Here's the truck

If the truck isnt plow preped the good luck in getting it fixed under warranty. You may be thowing your warranty rite out the window..Rob

Latest posts

Back