Snowblowers what kind would you buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 1980 Toro 725 (7 hp 25") walk behind I use at my mom's. I clear snow a lot with that and it has never failed to start (it has the optional electric starter which is a big help at -40).
At my place I have a 1985 Allis-Chalmers (now Simplicity Sovereign) 912 Hydro garden tractor with a 36" single stage blower (belt drive). I clear my driveway and about 10 more (neighbors) every time it snows.
Its a beast, it only has a 9 hp Kohler one lunger but with the hydrostatic drive, chains and wheel weights it can go through almost anything, when the snow it too deep and heavy (usually about 20 cm or more with big drifts) I just lower the blower and "cut" a road through to where I'm going.
I live in Winnipeg (Manitoba, Canada) which gets a moderate amount of snow, we usually have snow about 3 -4 ft deep in the spring but the real beast is the cold (-30 always with frequent forays to -40) and how it beats up equipment. With regular maintenance both of these machines have been great and continue on.... 5-15 cm expected tonight/tomorrow!

the good thing about honda is..........

I wondered how long it would take for Honda to come up. I think it's safe to say if Honda builds something it's going to be among the best. I just wish they didn't cost so much.

you can get parts and service.yeah they cost more but you sure get A LOT more.get something repaired at the big box stores.toro and ariens used to make good stuff.not sure if t hey still do.i'd say if you bought one from an authorized dealer you would be OK.

he's right.

did you have a contest and take measurements?

go out west,most people out there won't use anything else.they have done something with the auger or chute that i cannot really put my finger on.the discharge chute looks smaller .maybe that is it.they actually work in wet snow.i have never seen anything like it.the hydro trans doesn't fight you either.

i am of course talking about 2 stage blowers here.

No problems with the Tecumseh engines on any blower I've used, and I used to make my living clearing snow with blowers. Change the oil and you'll be fine with B&S, Tecumseh, or Honda.

In terms of brands, Ariens, Simplicity/Snapper (they appear to be the same unit), Toro, and Honda seem to have the best machines in terms of build quality and durability according the the folks on plowsite and elsewhere. Toro probably has the best dealer network, at least in the places I've been. Rumors of JD's quality going downhill persist, though I see lots of newer JD 2-stage machines in service and working fine. If long-term durability is your primary concern, the top-of-the-line Ariens have cast iron auger/impeller gear cases, too.

For my money, I'd probably go with Ariens or Simplicity for a large-frame model, and the Toro 522 for a small-frame machine. These units seem to have the best reputations as solid performers, and the little Toro is super simple and looks to be nice and nimble.

That said, I don't have much first-hand experience with the new machines since I'm still running a 1968 John Deere...

JD_Small_1.jpg

my friend has one of these and it still runs and works better than most new units.

A little tip I use when buying is ask your local small engine guy what he fixes the most and what he thinks .
I was there the other day and he a couple of walmart specials with cast aluminium gearboxes in pieces...
I had a craftsman and it waited till spring untill the parts got to me !!!!! total crap considering it was a loose pulley that destroyed itself and could have been replaced in 10 minutes but it had a weird mount that only sears sold!!!!
I say keep what ya got and put a couple of hundred into it and if it lives a few more years its worth it.
keep lookin for deals in the spring on this stuff at big box stores as they like to blow em out to make room.

Ariens (the biggest 1 they make) :hmm3grin2orange: The damn thing has heated grips, all wheel drive, electric start, and believe me, it will blow wet snow about 150 feet. Bring on the snow...

you can get parts and service.yeah they cost more but you sure get A LOT more.get something repaired at the big box stores.toro and ariens used to make good stuff.not sure if t hey still do.i'd say if you bought one from an authorized dealer you would be OK.

Kinda the same thing has happend with Honda. They started making mid range engines (the GC series) for other brands. Used to be the cheap GC engines were black and the good GX engines were red but I've seen them either color lately. Sad thing is the way they're marketed people think they're getting Honda equipment but all they're getting is a cheap piece of equipment with a mid range Honda engine on it. Point being if you want anything of quality whether it's Ariens Toro or Honda stick with a dealer or you may not get what you expect.

i have a yard machine, 10 hp.

but, to be honest, i usually grab the shovel and do the driveway just for the excersize.

unless it's too deep or too heavy.

I currently have one made by Noma, that is around 15 years old. Basically the same as what Sears once sold. It has a Tecumseh 8 horse engine which isn't all that bad, except for the carburetor. I'm forever cleaning the fuel passages in that.
But it looks like it's may be on its last legs. I have decided that my next one will be a Honda. I have a Honda lawnmower, boat motor, generator and once had a Civic (the best car on the road IMHO). Honda just builds the best. And as they say "Buy the best and only cry once."
Good Luck

i have a yard machine, 10 hp.

but, to be honest, i usually grab the shovel and do the driveway just for the excersize.

unless it's too deep or too heavy.

+1. Great exercise, so long as it doesn't get to deep or wet and become frustrating. If it's light and if you're working on a smooth surface, this thing is awesome:

31-1gWm3vvL._AA280_.jpg

It is angled and allows you to make neat windrows as you would with a plow. Much better than most snow pushers, and far better than conventional square-ish snow shovels.

This ol' girl fires up from hibernation after 3 pulls. Introducing the 'Crusader'. Not sure of the year or make but it really shoots the snow. Not as nice as yours computeruser, nice job on the paint. I gotta get me some of those chains....:bowdown:

+1. Great exercise, so long as it doesn't get to deep or wet and become frustrating. If it's light and if you're working on a smooth surface, this thing is awesome:

31-1gWm3vvL._AA280_.jpg

It is angled and allows you to make neat windrows as you would with a plow. Much better than most snow pushers, and far better than conventional square-ish snow shovels.

Wow, you should be a salesman!:biggrinbounce2:

This ol' girl fires up from hibernation after 3 pulls. Introducing the 'Crusader'. Not sure of the year or make but it really shoots the snow. Not as nice as yours computeruser, nice job on the paint. I gotta get me some of those chains....:bowdown:

Stylin'! I'd love to see some video of that thing at work. I've seen a couple like it being given away as freebies, maybe I'll have to snatch one up one of these days.

As for the chains, well, they didn't work so well. The v-bar chains, on pavement, cause me to keep snapping the pin that holds the two halves of the axle assembly together. I think that regular chains would have plenty enough traction without being so grabby. I used the chains once in deep snow and then hung them on the wall, where they still reside. Luckily they'll fit my brush mower and, when I finally restore it (or at least get it running), they'll fit my Gravely L-series. I might put some regular chains on at some point, or more likely just a more modern SnoHog tire.

Thanks for the compliments on the paint, by the way. It was professionally done, with a price to match. When I dropped it off at the paint shop I asked for a quote. The guy said he wasn't sure how much work it would take to blast it down, how much paint would be required to fill in some of the rust pitting in the impeller housing, etc., so in haste I said "I don't care what it costs, just call me when it's done." He took my words very seriously. :mad: Oh well. If I had it to do over again, I think I'd tear the whole thing down and do the entire unit. But it works as it is, so that'll do.

I've got a Mongomery Ward Model # GIL-35210B made by Gilson. This model is from 1977 and yes she still runs. I am the third owner only thing I plan to do is one day change the motor as she is only a 3.5 HP. The moter is BS model 92902 type 0448-02.

Well went shopping yesterday and looked at
snowblowers Ariens and Simplicity

Ace Hareware has the Simplicity P11528 model is $1950+tax

Ariens 11528DlE 1999.00+tax

Both are pro models

The other models that are close in size that are non-pro
models are around $1500+tax

Pro model includes OHV engine and Cast Iron Gear box for the augers

for both models

Back