So confused about my bonzai!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonilm

Reaction score
well I bought my bonzai tree about two weeks ago, The instructions that came with it said to water once a week and give it filtered sun light. I dont remeber if the label said what kind of tree it was.but I do know its not looking quite as chipper as it did when I brought it home. I did a little research and Im pretty sure its a ginsing ficus. (not totaly sure, but pretty sure) If any one has any advice on how to care for, I would like to get back in shape before I lose it! its not bad, but Im not sure if its the season or if its sick! Im a first timer and would appreciate the help. Thanks!

How much water are you giving it? Bonsai trees are very particular about their moisture, the roots can not dry out, also they can not be under water. Get a book on bonsai techniques to help you out.

Is the tree growing inside. like a house plant, or outside, like in Karate Kid?
Watering is the main mistake people make with any plant. Too much or too little.
I don't know anything about Bonsi, but they sell ficus up here as a house plants (Ficus Benjamina) and if you move the plant into different light conditions, they will often defoliate, and then come slowly back. This will commonly happen when you bring it home from the store, because of the different light.

Ficus bonsai

I have several Bonsai trees, only one ficus( Benjamina). Indoor trees can be indoors, outdoor trees need to stay outside, unless,tropical. To much water is bad, ficus like to dry out between waterings. Does the Tree have a small gravel over the top of the soil, glued in place, if so, get rid of that, makes it hard to water properly. Ficus will drop all there leaves at times, not dead, just give it some TLC. Good Luck

Back