So happy I heat with wood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alleyyooper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So happy I heat with wood, we have not been any where normal temps since some time in Oct 2013 a day or two. We have been mostly 20F below our normal temps and the wind has been really bad. I even broke down and bought a heater for my deer blind and I've been deer hunting since 1952. I never even had a blind till 2003 when I built my first one.

Our house had a electric furnace and a wood add on furnace in it when we bought it. I at one time went shopping for a natural gas furnace to replace the electric one. I canned that Idea when the wife just kept making excuses why this one or that one just wouldn't be a good one. Now she can be warm still when the power is out and we don't have to worry which bank to rob to pay this months electric bill. I used the electric for one month in 1995 when I was really really busy at work. When the 420.00 bill came I bought the wood I hadn't had time to cut my self.
I also have the ashes that came in so handy after our recent ice storm. I spread them in the drive way the path to the pole barn and honey house, I spread them around the mail box to give traction on all that ice.

:D Al

You must live somewhere near me based on your weather and name. Cheap heating is great plus a lot of us do firewooding as part of our enjoyment. I spent about 1000 bucks last semester commuting to NMU and I'll have another thousand this one coming up so my gas has to go in my car instead off the furnace.

Deer camp is near Rapid River, I live in troll land. Still the cabin is also heated with a wood furnace I think a hot blast given to me when the hunting Partners daughter couldn't get home insurance with it in the house early 2000's.
I have lived with fire wood heat nearly all my life. My mom cooked meals on a pastel green wood fired cook stove till the mid 1960's when she broke down and got an electric range.
One of my first child hood chores was to carry in the wood for moms cook stove and the night supply of fire wood for the old round pot belly warm morning wood stove in the living room.
My child hood home had a dirt floor room just for fire wood storage.

So happy I heat with wood, we have not been any where normal temps since some time in Oct 2013 a day or two. We have been mostly 20F below our normal temps and the wind has been really bad. I even broke down and bought a heater for my deer blind and I've been deer hunting since 1952. I never even had a blind till 2003 when I built my first one.

Our house had a electric furnace and a wood add on furnace in it when we bought it. I at one time went shopping for a natural gas furnace to replace the electric one. I canned that Idea when the wife just kept making excuses why this one or that one just wouldn't be a good one. Now she can be warm still when the power is out and we don't have to worry which bank to rob to pay this months electric bill. I used the electric for one month in 1995 when I was really really busy at work. When the 420.00 bill came I bought the wood I hadn't had time to cut my self.
I also have the ashes that came in so handy after our recent ice storm. I spread them in the drive way the path to the pole barn and honey house, I spread them around the mail box to give traction on all that ice.

the only thing bad about ashes for traction,,they track all over the place...

This week provided another great example of this thread's title.

There was a power outage this week around here. Was out from 1:00 am til 7:00am. Not especially long, but the temps were 0 to 2 degrees with plenty of wind, which no doubt caused the power failure. Houses. especially older ones, will chill down pretty quick in that weather. Only a woodstove that requires no electricity will keep you toasty in that situation, and my quadrafire 3100 did just that.

But as Al posted, this has been a brutal winter, and we're only halfway through. Folks that heat by paying a bill are getting clobbered. Those of us who heat with wood merely have a little more work ahead of us this year.

Enjoy the warmth guys!

This week provided another great example of this thread's title.

There was a power outage this week around here. Was out from 1:00 am til 7:00am. Not especially long, but the temps were 0 to 2 degrees with plenty of wind, which no doubt caused the power failure. Houses. especially older ones, will chill down pretty quick in that weather. Only a woodstove that requires no electricity will keep you toasty in that situation, and my quadrafire 3100 did just that.

But as Al posted, this has been a brutal winter, and we're only halfway through. Folks that heat by paying a bill are getting clobbered. Those of us who heat with wood merely have a little more work ahead of us this year.

Enjoy the warmth guys!

I bet there will be more wood stove converts after this winter. Once the sticker shock of that bill in the mail comes in. Plus, more saw sales, chains, repairs, snowblowers, etc.

Real cold and snowy weather got to be good for you OPE dealers up there, and your customers who sell wood!

Yep... life in woodheatland is good... I ain't even turned the power on to my gas furnace this year.
In fact, I robbed the fuse for it to get the wood furnace powered up and ain't even bothered to pick-up the replacement yet... L-O-L.

That's weird... my spell-checker (Google Chrome) says the word "woodheatland" is a good word??

I feel ya Alleyyooper. I grew up with wood heat, my dad, my grandpa, etc all heated with wood. Only took half a season of heating with propane to make the decision to put in a wood heat source. So glad I put in the OWB this past fall. Propane guy stopped by the other day, walked over to tank, looked at gauge, got back in truck and left. :rock: The wife and I were geeked to say the least.

Only a woodstove that requires no electricity will keep you toasty in that situation, and my quadrafire 3100 did just that.

I'm partial to my wood boiler that heats all parts of the house by convection, no electric needed here either.

Feel sorry for those less fortunate that are totally reliant on electricity - that's gotta be a pretty helpless feeling when the lights go out.

Feel sorry for those less fortunate that are totally reliant on electricity - that's gotta be a pretty helpless feeling when the lights go out.

I keep hearing that argument, but I see no merit in it. Yes, I need electricity still to run my boiler setup, but I had a generator before I had an OWB. To run just a furnace/OWB requires very little power and could easily be handled by a small, cheap generator and a couple extension cords. If you're really hard up for cash, you can get a 2hp generator/800 watt generator for $100 at Harbor Freight. I picked up a 5000 watt Generac off CL for $300. Runs my whole house minus the well.

our utility bills go down in the winter...I just need a way to get Verizon out of my life and stop paying 120.00 to watch tv commercials
look up a Roku, we ditched cable and using that with a good old fashon antenna we get all that we need for tv watching and now pay about 30 a month.

i love my wood stove, we can loose power on a regular basis and i have no concerns with heating the house. even then i still have a genorator with an out door plug on the side of my house. poer goes out i wheel the genny around plug it in, hit my changeover switch in the basement and my essentials are right back online.

even if it never starts my 4 kids will always be warm and we can cook on it.

Been using a woodstove for most/all heat for 35+ yrs too, from when my ex thought it just wasn't cool. Sorry, hearing failure, dear.
Nine years back, I didn't bother to light the pilot for the gas-disposal unit. No temptation to go back
Challenge now, after many storms & hurricanes, is to burn the wood in the stacks to make room for the wood in process. Not rushing, though.

I keep hearing that argument, but I see no merit in it. Yes, I need electricity still to run my boiler setup, but I had a generator before I had an OWB. To run just a furnace/OWB requires very little power and could easily be handled by a small, cheap generator and a couple extension cords. If you're really hard up for cash, you can get a 2hp generator/800 watt generator for $100 at Harbor Freight. I picked up a 5000 watt Generac off CL for $300. Runs my whole house minus the well.

There was no argument in what I posted - I was more talking about people with resistance electric heat, or even in places like apartment buildings with a central heating unit that needs lotsa juice to make it all work. Lots of the older generation are in places like that, or maybe use a fossil burner that they don't have the means to get working when the power goes out. No mention of OWBs by me.

I hear ya jred...the problem is they jack up the price of cable so I only save 30.00 by cancelling tv. I hear google has a project in Kansas city as an internet provider, 70.00 and way faster thananything else...anyone have it? sorry op for changing the subject I have a woodstove and electric heat and never turn it on

There was no argument in what I posted - I was more talking about people with resistance electric heat, or even in places like apartment buildings with a central heating unit that needs lotsa juice to make it all work. Lots of the older generation are in places like that, or maybe use a fossil burner that they don't have the means to get working when the power goes out. No mention of OWBs by me.

I didn't mean to make a stab at you personally, sorry bout that. I was referencing the argument of wood stove vs. OWB, wasn't thinking about those that don't have any wood heat available.

Back