So how does one seiz a brand new..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtu160

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
hydraulic Pump? I'm so mad and upset with myself. I started it up ran about five mins and seized. Thought it was the motor, but turns out to be the pump. It makes no sense to me if there was oil in the pump.

Foreign matter from the tank or lines ?

The old one might have shelled out sending debris upsteam. It just took 5 minutes for it to get back to the new pump. Check your filter to be sure it isnt bypassing and letting stuff through.

Sometimes air in the suction line.Probably from a loose spin on filter,filter mount threads,or a loose suction hose clamp,or fitting. It could also be a defective pump or you had a failure that contaminated the oil,plugged the filter,but usually the pump will whine,and moan a while prior to it failing.Low oil level can cause it although it gives warnings too.Last thing is RPM,some pumps are rated to 3000-3600RPM max,and many OHV engines will run 4000 easily,while not likely,it could be an issue.

Last edited:
This had to be a bad pump, I mean less then 5 min and no noise at all, just seized. It has brand new strainer and filter. Too John D I matched this motor and pump, the motor goes 3800 max rpm and the pump needs 3600 rpm. Can under running it cause damage? Thanks.

Last edited:
I had to buy a new pump for my Chomper last year, and it lasted less than 30 days before locking up. The company I bought it from said they couldn't waranty it untill the company that made it looked at it, so I dropped another $480.00 so I could work while they figured it out. In the end they said the pump had been "over pressured". I never figured that one out, a 3000 psi pump running at 2500 psi was "over pressured". The other new pump is doing fine, and before I got their diagnosis I had turned it up to 3000 psi. It cost me for 2 pumps, reguardless.

Andy

This had to be a bad pump, I mean less then 5 min and no noise at all, just seized. It has brand new strainer and filter. Too John D I matched this motor and pump, the motor goes 3800 max rpm and the pump needs 3600 rpm. Can under running it cause damage? Thanks.

Running a 3600 rpm pump slower than 3600 is fine.It isnt likely you oversped it,as the engine at 3800rpm can be annoying to listen too.I like to run most splitters around 3200-3400 max, the last few hurndred RPM arent worth hearing the engine scream for for me unless im in a real hurry,it dont seem to add much to the speed of the ram.

My best guess is contamination.

It may have come from the factory or from your system. The clearances inside hydraulic components even inexpensive pieces are vey tight, it doesn't take much to gum up the works.

Is this a new piece of equipment or did you replace a faulty pump on an existing piece? If new, there may be welding slag in the tank that has to be removed or you're right back where you started. The pump itself may never have been properly deburred and cleaned prior to assembly. Used to see that on hydraulic motors from time to time.

Hopefully this gives you a little help.

Take Care

Latest posts

Back