So How Long Does Your Stove & Saw Last?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeave96

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Those of you cutting your own wood and burning 24-7 in your wood stove, how many years do you get out of your wood stove (and the make/model) and your chainsaw (make/model) before it's time to replace?

Just courious.

Thanks!
Bill

Stove:

Hearthstone HS 2: Since 1984, keep going with some repair work in 2004.

Chainsaw:

Stihl 046 Stock 20": Year Unknown, keep going.
(Somehow running better than 460.)

Stihl 460 Stock 20", 28", 32": 2004, keep going.

Poulan Pro 295 (#1) Stock 20": 2004, I killed it by my stupidity in its 4th year.
Poulan Pro 295 (#2) Muffler Mod .325 20": 2007, keep going (soon 3/8" LP 12")
Poulan Pro 295 (#3) Muffler Mod, 3/8" Low Profile 12", 16": 2007, keep going (soon 3/8" LP 16" only)

Mini Mac 160s: Year Unknown, I killed it by my stupidity.

Noko

Last edited:
Daka wood furnace...2002/03....still going.

Poulon WildThing....2002....still going...despite my best efforts.

If the right gas mix is used a homeowner cutting just wood for himself will never wear a quality saw out. The average person will not burn thousands of cords of firewood.

Scott

Had an old hotblast 1500 woodfurnace that was 20 years old before I straightened the baffle out and replaced one rail support on the furnace. Still would heat today, but bought a better furnace. Probably went on 25 years of service. And I have an 041 thats from the 70's. Was originally owned by a tree service and used for 7 or 8 years, then dad bought it. Cut many cords with it over the years and now I have it. Put an atom module in it to replace the points and condensor, and it will start 2nd pull. Still pushing 150 pounds of compression. I have other saws, but thats an old one but still good to me.

1983 home made stove made out of 3/16ths boiler plate.. 18"x27"x16" fired daily from oct.1st till mid may..... oldest saw still in use is the 670 jonsered with a 20" 3/8 full chisle 1987/88 dont really remember!! cutting on an average of 100 cords a year of pulp and firewood 50/50... now with the new 2171 it will be put on the shelf for another rainy year??

Late 70's / early 80's Woodchuck wood furnace in the basement, looking at replacing with a shiny new more efficient one in the next year or two. It has needed the occasional new firebricks, pipe, and last year a bit of welding. After I replace it, it will be kept around for future shop heating duty (whenever I get a shop built).

Current "daily driver" saws are 2 Dolmars, a 7300 bought this spring, and a 5100 that's just a couple months old. I expect them to last 20+ years, cutting 10-20 cords a year. Of course, something newer and shinier might well replace them before that.

Until I found this site, I was cutting with a 30 year old Olympik 271, a 5 year old MS290 and a 20 year old 280E Echo top handle. No major problems with any of them, carb kit on the 271 a couple years ago, and fuel lines on the Stihl. (The 290 also had some parts replaced due to a moron tractor driver...guess who?) I've got them on standby in the shed for those days I have helpers, or if something happens to one of the Dolmars. I may be replacing the Echo in the next year, but I sure don't NEED to...Dang you ArboristSite!!!

I've been Burning in this wood stove since 1993 and the MS 250 is a 2003 Model. The MS 260 Pro is this year's model.

The wood stove in the house is an Englander TR-18 and I have an Englander 24-ICD in my shop building. The one in the shop is a 1995 model but I do not burn very often in there.

I give the one in the house a workout from late October until about the 1st part of April.

Nosmo

Chainsaw -- ProMac 610 : 1978

Stove -- Federal AirTight 288CCL : 1987

Both currently operate flawlessly. OK, guys, I admit I show a Stihl MS 361. But, yesterday I started the Mac 610, and it stayed dead even with the 361. It's just a little heavier to hold and I'm not getting any younger.

Still, there is nothing that sounds quite like that gorgeous McCulloch at full throttle and under load.

riteway model 37---1973, very efficent, why change????? 264 oly ive been using for 34 years, finally a wrist pin keeper broke, and came up the side of the piston. never hurt the cyl!!!!! new rings--runs hard!!! do have other saws than the 264 now---cad----about 18 olys, and a few ODDBALLS!!!

Craft freestanding woodstove-new 1978 retired in 2007
Homelite 360 Professional- new 1979 retired in 2006

BIS Ultra 2004-Current aprox 7cords per year..As far as saws go I have a sickness that came from hanging out on the chainsaw forum.

This one lasted about 28 years, It was a very good stove.

attachment.php

Replaced it with this one and still getting used to the cat.

attachment.php

These saws are currently used, The 460 is about 5 years old and the 036 about 10. The 250 is fairly new about two years old. All still going strong. I have wore out a few old poulans and craftsmans. The longest lasting saw was a craftsman 3.7 I had it about 15 years before it kicked the bucket. It was a poulan though.

attachment.php

our stove has been in the house since 1958 when the house was built, i burn everyday that it is cold, burn about 10 cords over a winter, and my saw is an 041 made in 1979 still runs like new, starts on second pull. have to love that stihl quality, lasts forever!!! im 24 and im sure ill have it the rest of my life.

Vermont Casting

Had the Vermont Casting Ex Large for about 15 yrs, had to repair the fireback last year and replace the original catalytic cumbustor, great stove but takes a little to learn how to run it. Husky 50, then sold it and bought 141 because it was easier on my back. Bought the 346XP in Oct. and sold the 141. Rebuilt a Stihl 025 that my neighbor ran over with his tractor. Oh yes there's the Homelite that I inherited from my FIL about 10 yrs ago. Gotta stop hanging around here.:chainsaw:

Last edited:
Back