So How Would You Handle This?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K.C.

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ancient Valley Oak. Apparently no maintenance on it for at least 10 years, probably more. Most lower branches have grown out and are resting on the ground for support. A couple months ago, this one branch that the tree had held above ground cracked and the far end is now down. I have been asked to remove the branch without further damage to the tree. The branch is at least 40 ft long and 4 ft diameter at the point of the crack. It makes a bow probably 10 ft above ground, 10 ft out from the trunk. I feel that if I just cut at the crack the limb will pivot and hit (damage) the trunk.

Picture this branch as your right arm - bent at the elbow and being supported by your thumb, pointer and little finger.

Here is my idea:

After trimming all of the excess branches beyond the ground support points I figured I could make some under and over cuts a foot or two beyond the split area, then cut off the "pinky finger" branch and maybe some "pointer finger". This would then get the branch to roll over into the direction I need it to go without damaging the tree trunk itsef, breaking off where I made the sacrificial cuts. Then I could clean up the damaged area at the split on the trunk.

I would have ropes and be tied off to help the branch roll in the desired direction.

Here are a couple of pics that hopefully show what I am dealing with, and I look forward to all of your ideas and input!
Photo0181.jpg

Photo0180.jpg
Photo0182.jpg

Am I on the right track or do any of the real experts here have some input for me?

Where the limb bows down I would tie it off so when you start trimming it back it dont peel down the tree. Once tied off start piecing all the limbs back then start piecing the log back. Make sure you under cut so it dont peel down the tree. Thats the way i would do it by the looks of the pics. Be carefull there could be alot of tension on those limbs!

This branch is so massive I'd be concerned that tying it off at the bend might bring something else down as well once the weight of the branch was being supported by the ropes.

I'm not an arborist so take this for what it's worth but in the firewood game I often put a big round under the trunk so it holds off the ground while I buck it up. Could you add some sort of support under the limb to hold it up? A piece of I-beam with plate steel top and bottom would probably do it and you could still tie it up as an extra precaution. I've lifted entire corners of houses on 2 lally columns and a 30 ton jack before, there should be a way to do this as well.

thats a shame looks like a nice old tree. Tell the owner if he really wants to save the tree then he shouldn't be nailing tree houses to it.:msp_glare:

I would try to save the limb if possible, making a cut on something that big could be its downfall. Hard to see from the pics maybe it could be propped up at the branch tips.

Can you get more pics of the whole limb in question?

If you are using natural crotch run the rope through one or use a double crotch. Tie one end to the limb your cutting and the other to another tree, truck or the base of the tree your working on. That is how you do it or rent a crane. That is a simple limb just be glad its not resting on a house!

thats a shame looks like a nice old tree. Tell the owner if he really wants to save the tree then he shouldn't be nailing tree houses to it.:msp_glare:

I would try to save the limb if possible, making a cut on something that big could be its downfall. Hard to see from the pics maybe it could be propped up at the branch tips.

Can you get more pics of the whole limb in question?

Yeah, I agree. Still, it looks like an easy enough job.
Jeff

Wedge a wooden beam (4x4 or two 2x4's nailed together) under the apex of the limb. For added support tie off the cracked side as high as possible with strength obviously being a factor. Make a v-notch about a foot away from the beam opposite the side of the split. Anchor a come-along or some pulling device and tie it to the part of the limb resting on the ground. when you pull it away it will break off. Then you can safely remove the side with the crack with no worries of it hinging back and damaging the trunk. I did some calculations with the weights and what not, a 4x4 and a rope will hold the one side without a problem.

Dang, Put on your 'man-suit' and tie in up there and piece it out! Toughest part of that job is moving that wood around. If you are leary on that butt hitting the tree, that is easy to avoid. How long have you been doing this? Just curious.
Jeff :heart:

Thanks everyone!

I agree about the tree. It is a beautiful specimen that is reported to be over 300 years old and I don't doubt it. We have talked about the tree house and bringing in a true professional to evaluate the remainder of the tree. He just wants this branch off for safety and so it doesn't further damage the tree. I just want to help him out.

I like MW's idea of bracing it at the bend, tying off and piecing it out. Thanks Treeman for your info.

Jeff, to be honest I am not in the business and my experience is limited to dropping some trees up in the mountains and dealing with downed trees. This is why I am asking for help from those in the know!

I have cleaned up some other trees and branches this big that have fallen in the same area but honestly have never had to drop a branch like this and save the tree. This would be good experience since there is nothing near the tree to get damaged if things don't go exactly as planned. I just want to make sure it is done safely and that the tree suffers no further damage.

Treeman & Jeff both say its simple and Jeff said avoiding hitting the trunk is easy. Can you throw me a bone here with more details?

It's hard to tell from the pics, but from what I can see and what your describing this is probably what I would do. Undercut behind the main crack as much as you can without pinching your bar, then go back to the fingers area and widdle away. My guess is that it will either tear back to your undercut and pop off when you remove the support fingers or it may even lift up a little when the weight is off it. It looks like it would miss the trunk but you could always put a piece of scrap plywood up against the trunk to keep the trunk from getting beat up. That's my guess from looking at pics and not actually being there. Good luck. Also, I agree removing such a big limb all the way to the trunk is probably not gonna heal very good, but if it was my house and my kids in the backyard, the limb would have to go.

Aren't those old Oaks protected? You may want to check with the county before you touch it. If you are in Sonoma or Marin, they will blow a gasket if you cut anything like that grand old Oak. Things have changed, you see a hazard tree, they see a heritage tree.

Undercut behind the main crack as much as you can without pinching your bar, then go back to the fingers area and widdle away. My guess is that it will either tear back to your undercut and pop off when you remove the support fingers or it may even lift up a little when the weight is off it. It looks like it would miss the trunk but you could always put a piece of scrap plywood up against the trunk to keep the trunk from getting beat up.

What you are describing was my original plan after carefully looking things over, except I was going to undecut slightly in front of the main crack so the hinge point would be a little further from the trunk. Then start piecing it from the "finger" end. There is a creek behind the tree so hopefully I can lay it down in such a way that the branch kind of rolls over away from the creek or goes straight down.

Also, I agree removing such a big limb all the way to the trunk is probably not gonna heal very good, but if it was my house and my kids in the backyard, the limb would have to go.

What the owner has agreed to do is to bring in someone who will know how to properly treat & seal the end. I will not be flush-cutting it to the trunk since there is another branch growing out from that same crotch, just behind the split. This can be seen in the second picture.

As for heritage tree status, yes we have that designation in this area however I'm pretty sure trees on private property are not included unless requested (and most don't request it because of the imposing restrictions), and nothing prevents removal of hazardous branches in poulated areas, especially any that are already broken off. Believe me there will be alot of tree left for them to celebrate!

Dang, Put on your 'man-suit' and tie in up there and piece it out! Toughest part of that job is moving that wood around. If you are leary on that butt hitting the tree, that is easy to avoid. How long have you been doing this? Just curious.
Jeff :heart:

Sounds like you might have to break out your saddle again. STAND BACK EVERYONE!:msp_lol:

I would leave it alone, the broken limb looks no more dangerous than climbing up on the platform. Big old trees like that can shed a big limb without warning.

If anything I would wrap the crack with cabling rope and call it a day.

Did you find that saddle yet Jeff? Better hurry before something dumb happens.:msp_wink:

Just have them call a pro it shouldnt cost much to get it on the ground.

;)
I would leave it alone, the broken limb looks no more dangerous than climbing up on the platform. Big old trees like that can shed a big limb without warning.

If anything I would wrap the crack with cabling rope and call it a day.

Did you find that saddle yet Jeff? Better hurry before something dumb happens.:msp_wink:[/QUOTE

This is the best post you ever made! Yeah, my 'bowline-on a bight' Ya know? I did buy a saddle!!! A Karl Kuemmerling' signature back in 1978, I it was the the bomb!
Jeff Dang!

OK, You will not ever find anyone to 'properly treat and seal the end'! If you got somebody say's they can, they are a liar. Tree's heal themselves! You seem very Gullible.
Jeff :)

I guess I should have been more specific - I told him he needs to have someone who works with these old oaks come and evaluate what needs to be done with it after its down since I'm not going to cut it back past the split. That is the owner's wishes to have it sealed. If that is not the accepted practice then I'm sure that's what he'll find out.

I really think there is no reason to cut anything. I don't deal with this kind of situation very often but I do believe that all that needs done to to wrap some rope around thing to mitigate the possiblity of hurting someone.
The tree is fine, its just that we, as humans, are not fine with the tree. Cutting off that branch is more work and trouble than its worth and judging by the guy standing under it I can tell he ain't gonna pay for a whole lot.
Get some Nerex, Cobra or the like and wrap it up, the cost will be nominal, solve the problem( if there even is one) and end this debate.
AND, if I hear that any of you went and cut that limb off I will personally come and kick yer ass... or at least make fun of you on Arboristsite.com till you blow yer own head off in shame.

Back