so much to learn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammerlogging

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So, I work fo a "big" guy. We run multiple sides, run way advanced steep terrrain systems. I can pretty well say that we are way beyond the Appalachian norm. We're taking a week off right now, 4th of July tradition.

So I need to put a new ceiling in my sitting room, a wopping 192 sqft. during this time off

So I go to little ol' logger/sawyer Bob down the road a ways. Naturally we get to talking and stuff once he asks if I'm a timbercutter or somethin

Turns out, as he told me, I must not know nuthin about saws. Says a 660 needs to be runnin atleast a 12tooth sprocket, and if you're not really doggin in and working it, you don't even know what that saw has behind it. That I haven't even started to see what kind of power that saw has.

Pretty nice guy except for this saw portion of our conversation, I let it slide, he was real serious about it (was a tear welling up?). At .40 / bdft rough cut pine he could've told me the moon was made of cheese for all I care. Of course, I could tell to skip the conversation about utilization, regeneration harvests, and avoiding high grading. But, he did remind me that I should consider going around the countryside fetching field trees for veneer with my pickup and a propane tank carrier instead of all this "axemen stuff"

Last edited:
Are you sure you weren't talking to this guy?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L16uOcVH7gI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L16uOcVH7gI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

12 tooth... LMAO...

Just keep on, keepin' on... lots of guys "know" what's right. Just gotta decipher it sometimes and weed out the BS. :)

Gary

Heck Gary, don't you guys use 18 tooth out in the PNW? Heck with all that soft pine and all. We use a 12 tooth here in pa especially when we break out the 48" bar. Hard wood slows things down ya know??:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Gald to know I am not the only one that runs on to those types of folks!
Seems like most of em are pretty long winded, and it's when I am trying to get home, it's usually somone that spots Ya walking out of the store with You're beer or, stops me on on the way out of the woods I am getting to where I can usually see it coming but have yet to figure out how to avoid it.

It kinda does sux when you have a customer that does this and you have to be polite. I always walk away thinkin "what a jack!$%"

But.... then again sometimes I too am the jack@$%.....:cry:

granted, the fellow has got it made. Farms some vegetable on pop's land, runs 2 of 4 POS skidders and fetches a little wood from family and friends, all back in that holler.

But man, talkin about saws just killed me. I said if it weren't for everyone on the crew running Stihl I'd consider a Husky 390 or 395 cause I like that chain speed, same reason I run a 460 when the timber is such that its better, love that pep and chain speed. Now, there's nothing wrong with torque, but here it came again...."You just don't know half of whats inside that saw"

I mean damn, a conversation to avoid.

Got that wood planed, the poly or whatever it is is drying, maybe all done by manana?

Er, like,

"Oh, you're a logger? I used to cut some firewood......."

Yeah, not exactly.

So, I work fo a "big" guy. We run multiple sides, run way advanced steep terrrain systems. I can pretty well say that we are way beyond the Appalachian norm. We're taking a week off right now, 4th of July tradition.

So I need to put a new ceiling in my sitting room, a wopping 192 sqft. during this time off

So I go to little ol' logger/sawyer Bob down the road a ways. Naturally we get to talking and stuff once he asks if I'm a timbercutter or somethin

Turns out, as he told me, I must not know nuthin about saws. Says a 660 needs to be runnin atleast a 12tooth sprocket, and if you're not really doggin in and working it, you don't even know what that saw has behind it. That I haven't even started to see what kind of power that saw has.

Pretty nice guy except for this saw portion of our conversation, I let it slide, he was real serious about it (was a tear welling up?). At .40 / bdft rough cut pine he could've told me the moon was made of cheese for all I care. Of course, I could tell to skip the conversation about utilization, regeneration harvests, and avoiding high grading. But, he did remind me that I should consider going around the countryside fetching field trees for veneer with my pickup and a propane tank carrier instead of all this "axemen stuff"

Your friend has more money than brains.

the ceiling is finished. Got everything moved back in without 30 minutes to spare before the rain hit- the trim job might reveal this rush against the rain.

Latest posts

Back