so much wood, I'll just sell some

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hupte

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
after this post: http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...ul-problem-too-much-wood.288955/#post-5625691

everyone helped me to come up with the bright idea to sell some wood. and thats where it all went wrong. (lol)
I put an ad on CL. for oak firewood. after a number of different scammers (I didn't fall for any of em) I got a legitimate call. he's close and he only wants half a cord. Sure! I thought, only half a cord!?!?, that will be easy!! I thought... I cut and split this pile of oak 2 years ago. but I processed it for the owb. the pile is a mix of 18" inch dia. rounds, 5' long branches, big chunks, etc... pretty much anything small enough I can lift it.
DSCN0792_zpsdbmrh8ix.jpg

DSCN0797_zpsjl6tpkiu.jpg

so after 3 partial days of cutting every piece down to 16" then splitting it all. I remembered what it was like years ago when I burned in a wood stove. I don't miss it at all. I could have taken 15 foot long logs 18-20" dia. and processed 4-5 cords for my owb in the time that it took me to c/s/s this half a cord for a fireplace insert.
DSCN0796_zpsgsrqqxxg.jpg

DSCN0794_zpsn4e0g8ry.jpg

then there is all the little cut offs from processing this stuff. I just threw em in the trailer. its more of a hassle to keep em and move em than to just throw em in with the half cord.
DSCN0793_zpsc53kqozb.jpg

DSCN0798_zpsnnlkkp6y.jpg

I don't see myself selling more wood in the near future. unless maybe its in log or round form.

Well, you are reprocessing and not starting from scratch to process normal 16s. If you start out aiming for 16s, it would go faster.

In your situation..I'd sell split wood, and just accumulate and burn long branches and tops for myself. That way you are at least getting paid for the more labor intensive part of the equation.

You are processing it twice. Of course it's going to take a long time.

?? this is the reason behind the 4'x4'x8' of 16" lengths as a standard of measurement! common for most wood burners, any other length from this is equal to more money to process! whether shorter or longer, it's a break away from your normal method and costly in time for your daily routine! some one not ordering a common length should expect to pay more for unusual lengths from common! if they are a regular customer the lengths will be saved from odd cuts for a rare sales or processed for a return sale of a steady client! 90% of my sales are of common 16" .....

I've got the problem of too much wood. I got too carried away last year. Out splitting an piling the last 3 cords of rounds this morning. Seems I have in the stacks and already cured enough for this year's sales AND nexst year's plus 2 seasons for my own use. In this climate (semi-arid) Willow keeps very well after stacking. This year I sold 7 cord at $120 and use about 3 cords to mix with the Black Locust each year. Gonna have to cut way down on the fun this year. Spend most of my trips to that willow grove on cleanup of a centuries dead fall I guess.

My main customer (3 to 4 cord/yr) likes his split smaller than I like. Kinda hard to predict just where I will be on load out for him. Last year I staked out 4 1-cord ricks and reserve that for him.

Harry K

You are processing it twice. Of course it's going to take a long time.
I don't even remember processing it 2 years ago. so it doesnt really feel like I'm doing it twice. it just takes so long compared to processing for the owb. I think I'm spoiled. lol.

Well, you are reprocessing and not starting from scratch to process normal 16s. If you start out aiming for 16s, it would go faster.

In your situation..I'd sell split wood, and just accumulate and burn long branches and tops for myself. That way you are at least getting paid for the more labor intensive part of the equation.

?? this is the reason behind the 4'x4'x8' of 16" lengths as a standard of measurement! common for most wood burners, any other length from this is equal to more money to process! whether shorter or longer, it's a break away from your normal method and costly in time for your daily routine! some one not ordering a common length should expect to pay more for unusual lengths from common! if they are a regular customer the lengths will be saved from odd cuts for a rare sales or processed for a return sale of a steady client! 90% of my sales are of common 16" .....

very solid advice thank you!!

Latest posts

Back