So when is Stihl gonna update their MS260......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

if it aint broke dont fixit:chainsaw: the only realy bad part on the 260 pro is the beachin plastic main handle :cry: i bought a mystery stihl it had an aluminum main handle i swaped it an the mystery saw handle bolted right on. now the saw feels more like a real saw. if stihl would put metal main handles on the 260 pro i mite just go for buying another :greenchainsaw:

if it aint broke dont fixit:chainsaw: the only realy bad part on the 260 pro is the beachin plastic main handle :cry: i bought a mystery stihl it had an aluminum main handle i swaped it an the mystery saw handle bolted right on. now the saw feels more like a real saw. if stihl would put metal main handles on the 260 pro i mite just go for buying another :greenchainsaw:

I got the last metal handle 026 at my dealer in '94! The next one sold at that dealer was plastic.

Well now that they own Redmax they will rape that company of their technology and leave them for dead just like they have done other companys. I'm guessing their engineers have a lot of time on their hands.
Thats exactly what will happen
Lakeside, doesnt Stihl actually have two strato charged engines? The other being a concrete saw?

Lakeside, doesnt Stihl actually have two strato charged engines? The other being a concrete saw?

True. They have a TS700 and TS800 cut-off saws. The 441 like lake said is the only strat chainsaw at this time.

Yes.. Sorry, I was talking chainsaw only. The TS700/800 use a reed strat design - not the piston version of the 441.

The "plastic" handle of the 026 /360 /361 is PA66-GF ( Glass fiber filled nylon) and the best thing they ever did (over 10 years ago). Almost indestructible... and unlike the Aluminum tube, never bends out of shape and twists the tank.

glas fiber

The "plastic" handle of the 026 /360 /361 is PA66-GF ( Glass fiber filled nylon) and the best thing they ever did (over 10 years ago). Almost indestructible... and unlike the Aluminum tube, never bends out of shape and twists the tank.
glass fiber is ok for the average home owner. for those of us that run saws all day metal with a rubber over coat it produces less vibe. also the metal has a better grip surface.:popcorn:

glass fiber is ok for the average home owner. for those of us that run saws all day metal with a rubber over coat it produces less vibe. also the metal has a better grip surface.:popcorn:

Im with you, i cant stand those plastic front handles...

They did - it's the 441. Write to your congressman about the EPA;)

Yeah I know,what I meant was that I wished they would have introduced the 441 and left the 440 alone and still available...As for pollution,How much can a engine that small be polluting the atmosphere anyway?

Yeah I know,what I meant was that I wished they would have introduced the 441 and left the 440 alone and still available...As for pollution,How much can a engine that small be polluting the atmosphere anyway?

It depends on which component you want to measure, but from everything I've ever read the traditional 2-stroke engine is astonishingly filthy, like maybe 50 times the hc of a modern car.

Well the 440 is history, and by most accounts the 441 is a decent saw!!!

Time to move on!!!

Maybe, but the 441 weights more than the 460, without most of the additional power.......:blob2: :blob2: :yoyo: :yoyo:

I went with the Husky 372xpg, even though it is more than a 25% premium over the 441W here...:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Well the 440 is history, and by most accounts the 441 is a decent saw!!!

Time to move on!!!

Maybe, but the 441 weights more than the 460, without most of the additional power.......:blob2: :blob2: :yoyo: :yoyo:

This subject has really been beat to death.

:deadhorse:

The truth is the 441 is out now and no more 440....like it or not!!!

The 441 is a good saw.............no matter what BS is posted about it!!!

This subject has really been beat to death.

:deadhorse:

The truth is the 441 is out now and no more 440....like it or not!!!

The 441 is a good saw.............no matter what BS is posted about it!!!

True, pretty soon I believe - but the 372xp is alive and well here.........

....the 440 was newer offered here for some "odd" reason......

...make your guess.....

Last edited:

I went with the Husky 372xpg, even though it is more than a 25% premium over the 441W here...:greenchainsaw:

I recently had the chance to use the 372 and a 440 with my 441. All wore 20" bars and I was unable to detect any difference in weight between the 3.

I recently had the chance to use the 372 and a 440 with my 441. All wore 20" bars and I was unable to detect any difference in weight between the 3.

Well did the 372 eat them Stihl's alive or was the performance close?

Actually I didn't notice any real difference in cutting speed. We were playing around with some old dry chestnut oak that was right at 19". I actually liked the 372 the least because it felt the least torquey. It probably was faster than I let it be, but even with a real sharp chain, it just didn't have the nuts to really hunker down and cut when you lean on it. The 440 had a muffler mod and seemed to match the 441 in torque, but wasn't any better hp wise. I'm only a novice here, but I have grown to really appreciate my 441 for it's torque.

That said, 2 of the saws I've used previously are an 041AV and a 051. Both of those saws have WAAAAYYY more torque.

Actually I didn't notice any real difference in cutting speed. We were playing around with some old dry chestnut oak that was right at 19". I actually liked the 372 the least because it felt the least torquey. It probably was faster than I let it be, but even with a real sharp chain, it just didn't have the nuts to really hunker down and cut when you lean on it. The 440 had a muffler mod and seemed to match the 441 in torque, but wasn't any better hp wise. I'm only a novice here, but I have grown to really appreciate my 441 for it's torque.

That said, 2 of the saws I've used previously are an 041AV and a 051. Both of those saws have WAAAAYYY more torque.

Interesting indeed. Yes the 041 and 051 are torque saws. I got both and get a kick out of just pressing them and making them beller. I also got a 044 and a 441. The 044 stock form is no match for the 441. Your using a muffler modded one may have equaled it up abit. The two I got are completely stock and the 044 has a new top end on it. The 441 is like new too but with several more tanks of fuel through it. It powers by the 044, not by a huge margin but enough to know the the 044 is never going to outcut it in stock form...

Now that you mention I got to thinking. One race we finished dead even between the 440 and 441. I was at the 19" end and my buddy(440) was at the smaller end. I dunno how big(or small) it was, but it had to be atleast 1-2 inches smaller. Cheating bastard.....:biggrinbounce2:

Yeah I agree about the 041 and 051 sound. Awesome sounding saws. They kinda sound like a 2 stroke James Earl Jones.:hmm3grin2orange:

I'm sure our soon to be neighbors loved hearing the 041 for awhile on the big hedge I cut up last weekend.

Back