So ya want to criticize videos eh? Come get some here then!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't been on this forum in a while

Great video, especially for us non-pros. Really shows the value of rigging skills. "Cut for show - Rig for dough" :rock:

Helmet cam is terrific but I can't let my wife watch. She has severe motion sicknesss and there'd be puke all over my keyboard. Cheers.

Joe

Seems to be the genre'. Put a video up and get hammered.

I see they're still having a go at 1CallLandscapes video from August 2006. Ya notch is this that and the other bla bla bla. :sword:

But thing is you dont see to many working day videos from other people but plenty of lip service.
pokinit.gif

Toward the end have a look at the amount of crap on the neighbours roof. That over here constitutes a private nuisance and is reasonable ground for pruning or removal.

It's a big one at 56mb and 11mins

www.palmtreeservices.com.au/video/pine.wmv

It is a knotless take down of a pine in a tight location, no buckets, no cranes, no BS.

Awesome video EKKA I thought I was the only person to use humboldts regularly when cutting tops out.Its good to see people that actually know what they are doing for a change.

About 3/4 in, you almost dropped that tree limb on the groundsmen´s heads :eek: You also almost got hit by a tree limb :eek: scary stuff :eek:

Btw how does it feel falling down and have you ever dropped your saw ?

There's not too many climbers around who aren't prepared for the limb etc to get them, mainly caused by groundy not lowering but can also happen when slews tear out and the butt comes spearing back.

Be prepared for it, that's all.

Make sure all people have helmets on and I like high vis so I can see them.

Your videos are getting better in that there isn't as much useless talk. Some of your first videos were all talk, no action.

This one shows a simple, straight forward take down, and you got it done. Good job.

But since you are asking for criticism, I have a few comments.
It was interesting to see the old school hitch and no fair lead. It takes two hands to advance your rope! Is the lanyard the same way, you need to hands to slack it under pressure? Just curious why you're climbing on such an antiquated system.
I was also wondering why you attached your sling so far out the limb. It seems to be why the one limb came back at you. Had you tied it closer to you it would just drop down under you, or if you need the height and you're out there anyway tying the limb, just cut it out there.
On a note of safety, I like to have the ground crew standing out of the line of swing, so if something goes wrong, they're out of the landing zone. Remember the recent thread about the fatality caused when a roped limb hit the ground man?
It may be my perception because it's a video, but are your saws really dull?

Ekka, I was wondering why you cant use webbing loop runners instead of the 1/2 inch kermantle slings to girth hitch around the branches. I would think they are strong enough to hold the weight, but is it because they arent as strong as the rope? Any other reasons for the use of rope slings?

The webbing slings aren't as nice to handle, not as heavy when you flick them.

Mike, my saws are about as dull as your personality. :D

Thanks for that video Ekka it saved me from taking a wallop a couple weeks ago.

Love it !

What saws do you use , ekka? I love your mix of old and new school technique. And of course your choice of music.
What ever you do... Keep the vids coming, please!

Here's my saw list

ms200T, 250, 440, 460 and 660

Have had experience with Echo, Husky, Shindaiwa but have been Stihl loyal now some 5 years+. Most impressive saw to use I think is the 660, that is a beautiful saw. :greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back