So you think you can back up a truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Impressive. When I used to haul trailers/wagons, at the end of the day it was all I could do to back my car into the driveway. I'd always turn the steering wheel the wrong way.

I knew a guy who could back up TWO loaded hay wagons. I cannot even back up one at time. (Heck, I sometimes have troubles backing up a simple trailer.)

BTW, the guy who could back up the wagons became a truck driver and he sure could back up those tractor/trailers.

All in a day's work I guess. The one comment on the vid page was "wow, this is why women don't drive trucks" ... pissed me off, but some folks really think that way.

wood pups

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uSMozIsQUA&feature=player_embedded

Should probably go in the logging section, but I figured more people would get a laugh here. That is some serious truck driving skills. Who wants to give it a shot?

Thats the beauty of a cab over 10-14 wheel prime mover and lots of mirrors and or a cab cam with the measuring lines on the screen for distance.

A suicide know and power steering works wonders too-but you can bet that they would notbe doing this in winter for sure on that mountain.

A set of limiting chains used reduce sway while backing works wonders as long as they are short to aid in backing in straighbt lines only-

In short space moves the key is the ability for the front axle to swing in a wide arc freely to reduce the required movement of the prime mover which aids in the geometry of the turn.

Love those pulp pups!!

Did you happen to notice the poster's "handle". This could explain a lot.

yeah, just a troll i 'spose. I couldn't work that truck like that but I can parallel park like nobody's business. think it's 'cuz my balls hang low

Last edited:
I cant help but wonder if he either pinched or ripped off an airline or 2 doing that lol good job doing that id say but way hard on the equipment,I wanna see that same trick but loaded. :D

I used to work with that guy, They have added on to the landing since they fired me. I backed a few too many trailers over the hill :ices_rofl:

Impressive, I'm good but I ain't that good

Jeff

Cool video, that driver has some skills. The cliff just adds a huge pucker factor to everything on top of it. I'd like to see his hitch setup, that pintle hook has to be sticking out a good bit past the frame/bumper whatever's back there, he had the tongue where I thought it was gonna get turned into a pretzel a couple times.

My dad taught me backing almost before I learned going forward. My first job driving was hauling hay racks to the elevator and backing back out about 50' down a narrow lane before turning around. Got "volunteered" to help those who were "reverse challenged" when in truck driving school in the Army.

Yes, very impressive if you think about what happens if you get to close to the edge.
I learned backing up with a lawn tractor and trailer at 12, Chevy Astro van and 16' boat at 15, and have since moved up to a 26' Travel Trailer. While I was still working at a wholesale tree and shrub nursery, I'd back up hay wagons, but none of those compare to backing up these tracking nursery wagons we used:

http://ellisproducts.com/product.php?lookupsku=Tracking Wagons&loadsku=1&cat=

I've never had the chance to drive a tractor trailer, but would love to just try backing one up sometime. Seems to me that backing up a 50' flatbed trailer would actually be easy because you can see where you are going, but a box trailer would require mirror-know how.

The longer the trailer the easier it is id MUCH rather back up a 53' or 48' than a smaller trailer especially a boat trailer.. my stepson always asks why i can back up my semi with next to pinpoint accuracy but I have to pull forward 4-5 times just to back up my boat trailer.

I cant help but wonder if he either pinched or ripped off an airline or 2 doing that lol good job doing that id say but way hard on the equipment,I wanna see that same trick but loaded. :D

I was thinking it was like backing a hay wagon, but with mirrors, and I wouldn't want to do it with a tall load, because loaded hay wagons get very tippy when you put the front wheels on the centerline.

wood hauler-fixing my typo whoopsie

spelling fix :D

Thats the beauty of a cab over 10-14 wheel prime mover and lots of mirrors and or a cab cam with the measuring lines on the screen for distance.

A suicide knob and power steering works wonders too-but you can bet that they would not be doing this in winter for sure on that mountain.

A set of limiting chains used reduce sway while backing works wonders as long as they are short to aid in backing in straighbt lines only-

In short space moves the key is the ability for the front axle to swing in a wide arc freely to reduce the required movement of the prime mover which aids in the geometry of the turn.

Love those pulp pups!!

Back