Soapstone Stoves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfhines

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm some what new to this site. Great website by the way, lots of good info here!
My question is does any body run the new Hearthstone Equinox stove? What is your over all impression of the stove? I'm no rookie to burning wood, I've been humping wood most of my life, but have no experience with the soapstone stoves only C.I. and plate steel.
The new stove will be the primary heat source running 24/7 October thru April. Here's the scenario, Located in Western MA. 1870 Plank on beam farm house (1470 SF) gutted in 2000, replaced windows, studded and insulated. Summer 2008 tore down the 700SF kitchen/breezeway/wood shed it didn't have a foundation and the wind would blow right under it, and added a 1300 SF Timber Frame addition. The new stove is going back in the kitchen With a masonry chimney and the old non EPA Lopi stove is hooked up in the basement of the addition. Don't get me wrong I love that big old Lopi and do believe it would heat the house it's just not a looker.
Lastly do you think do you think the Equinox would heat this updated house?

before demo
Kitchenentrywoodshed.jpg

after
house111-20-08.jpg

Thanks
kfhines

Yep I do. You need to take a look at Woodstock soapstone too. 75% efficient gets you a 30% tax break on them too. Soapstone holds heat a long time.

Quite a few folks have soapstone stoves over there.

http://www.**********/econtent/index.php/forums/viewforum/2/

It looks like your older house is split up into smaller rooms with low ceilings? If so, how are you going to move heat fromt he kitchen to the rest of the house? A big soapstone is capable of heating 2000+sq ft, but you may end up with a really hot room & the rest of the house cold. Passive or active fan drivin vents might get the job done. I had a 1624 sq ft log house with a great room(24' ceiling) with a Hearthstone Heritage. It would run us out of the living/kitchen area, but the back two bedrooms always stayed cool. We are currently starting on a new house & to solve this proplem the downstairs master bedrom will have a 12' sliding wall that will open it up to the great room.
I'm thinking in your application, a basement stove would distrubute heat better than the kitchen..........

RD

Zodiac45,
I will look at them but I would prefer to have the dealer close by in case I have any warranty issues. Thanks.

savageactor7,
Thanks for the link. I will have to do some reading over there.

MotorSeven,
You are right about the low ceilings 7'-6" first floor and 7'-3" second. When I gutted the place I opened up the floor plan quite a bit. As long as every body leaves their bedroom door open I didn't have any trouble with circulation. With the wood stove in the old kitchen it would cook you out of the 10' x 11' room. I plan on putting registers in floor of the bed room above the new kitchen.

Would any body using a soapstone stove go back to using a steel or cast iron stove?

Thanks for the replys.
kfhines

With a setup like that, I'd think you'd be better off with two stoves, otherwise I'll bet you end up with some real hot/cold areas.

BTW, who did the architectural work integrating the new addition to match the old house?

Last edited:
I have a Hearthstone Heritage. We live in a 1895 house with little insulation etc. I have it in our main family room which is centrally located. It keeps that room warm and nice and the upstairs is comfortable but some of the other downstairs rooms are not. I am looking to install a cast iron VC or Jotul as a 2nd stove to better heat my house as a single stove doesn't heat by house by itself.

The way the house is set up, I'd say two also. My house is more than 200 years old and parts were added on at different times. There are three central chimneys. My Glenwood cookstove keeps a good half the house warm and a Jotul Allagash down at the far end equals it out. For next year I plan too add a woodstock soapstone classic or fireview too the middle chimney and only use the Jotul for trasition times in spring and fall since it's a gasser (propane). The middle chimney is where the oil burner vents so I have too run a stainless flex flue for the soapstone. The chimney is plenty big though and the oil burner will only ever work when I'm out of town as backup. :cheers:

Wow Steve 3 wood burners going at once!!! You are a busy man, I hope they get some good burn times. I can hardley manage one at times. LOL. The next wood stove I buy will be a soap stone they are pretty:cheers:

BTW hehehe, April is getting closer:greenchainsaw:

Wow Steve 3 wood burners going at once!!! You are a busy man, I hope they get some good burn times. I can hardley manage one at times. LOL. The next wood stove I buy will be a soap stone they are pretty:cheers:

BTW hehehe, April is getting closer:greenchainsaw:

Actually two Frank, The 3rd is a gasser. Yeah come on April! :cheers:

Back