softwood burners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This is my 1st year burning softwood.. I just started burning on Weds, just because the house gets a chill come dark. I kept a few spruce and fir I cut last fall to burn. I'm pretty happy with the result. yes they burn fast but the do burn nice and hot and it's better then burning my good wood. I've started keeping all the soft I cut off my property. I figure it's free and it burns..

We started burning Thursday night with birch. I have about one cord of birch to go with my 5 cords of ash and hickory. The birch has been cut and split about 1 year now. Temperatures running in the 30's at night, and the 60's during the day, not running the insert during the day I've used about the 1/2 my normal weekly allotment in the 3 nights. I've also had coals every morning if I wanted to fire it back up.

In the dead of winter we will burn about 1/2 a face cord a week of hardwood (4' x 4' x 16") as this is the size of the ATV trailer we load and park in the attached garage.

It looks like the temperatures are going to stay this way all next week so when I reload the trailer probably Monday night, I'll stay with the birch.

TJ...soft wood will burn fire as long as it properly seasoned, it just doesn't last as long but so what. You're still ahead burning it because it warms you and saves on Propane. If I were scrounging I wouldn't turn down anything till I got a couple 3 years ahead on the woodpiles.

Oh and don't forget soft wood has to be covered on top when seasoning.

Latest posts

Back