Softwood lumber agreement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis

Arboristsite MVP
Reaction score
Hey guys...this was emailed to me yesterday and thought I would share it with you...I do realize that it isnt the masses that wish this tariff in place...but I am just sharing some of the feelings that are going around up here north of the border...

Dennis

Softwood Lumber - We can do something.

Forwarded from Ken Fowler:
This message is being sent to everyone in my address book and I am asking you to consider doing the same. Here is why. As you may know by now, the 29% tariff recently announced by the U.S. will have a devastating effect on the lumber industry in all lumber producing provinces, with an estimated loss of tens of thousands of jobs resulting in a major blow to the Canadian economy.

The U.S. knows that it will take 3 years for a resolution by the WTO or NAFTA, and that Canada cannot win if the Federal Government starts a trade war. So they can stick it to us and there is not much we can do about it.
There is, however, one thing they may have overlooked. Canada is the US's largest trading partner in goods, services and tourism. The Canadian market is made up of countless individual buying decisions. All of us make individual purchases every day. In most cases we have a variety of choices in products or travel destinations. Chile, Australia, B.C. and California all make great wines, so who needs California. There are lots of great travel destinations, so why don't we go to Havana or Paris instead of Hawaii.

I'm not suggesting large scale campaigns or boycots, just individual decisions, when we can, not to choose US products or destinations.
To make sure the point gets across, tell the retailer or travel agent why you made the choice.

We have all experienced internet viruses in the past. What I am suggesting is a positive virus. This message travelling from my address book to yours and beyond, can reach thousands of individuals in a matter of weeks so they can begin making their buying decisions.

If you think this is a dumb idea, thanks for reading this far, and just hit delete. If you think it might have an impact and is worth trying please forward this to all the people in your address book. If you want you might add your local newspaper to your list, to track how far this idea goes.

I think it will have an impact and is worth trying.

All the best.

Ken Fowler

Hi Dennis, I hear ya. I don`t know why the Federal Gov`t has to be screwing with our northern brethren like this. This kind of knee jerk response doesn`t seem to be saving any US jobs, just making a nice fat profit margin, with no value added, for the wood products producers. Homebuilders who aren`t at the top of the food chain in their respective markets will also suffer with the higher market prices. We all know that the US produced market prices will adjust to the same level as Canadian products, this coupled with the extra high cost of fuel for trucks and generators is really going to hurt the builders this year. Who knows how many contractors are just going to throw in the towel in what looks like a very tight homebuilding market this year. As building costs rise, the pool of potential, viable clients shrinks. When this happens, bidding becomes more cutthroat trying to get the few people who can afford to build. When bidding becomes too competitive, many builders are forced to eliminate their profit margin from the contracts, and thus, they simply become employees of a building company. Being a contractor has too many pitfalls and hassles to put up with for "employees pay". So what happens to the trades people who worked for or subbed for this contractor who gave up? Once again our government has shown their collective lack of wisdom and succumbed to lobbyist patronage. Russ

I agree I watched a political forestry panel the other night and his comments was that there is a world market out there and if Canada and the US got together we could dominate the world market. So much for free trade and working together eh

Nothing againts my American friends its all big bussiness and governments that are controled by big bussiness.

I have also changed my buying practices a few years ago by trying to support local bussiness and to buy Canadian products.
I watched the you Americans do the buy USA and i think this helped boost their economy.

Anyways vented enough.

Earth first log all the other planets later

John W

Stupid Stupid Stupid

Why can’t the lobbyist understand that a free market works? Let the markets decide the prices. Slowing trade slows the economy and brother we don’t need a slow economy. Therefore, to my Canadian brothers I will drink nothing but Labats and purchase my future saws from either JW or big D. What makes me so upset is these lobbyists are cutting the very throats of the people they profess to support. High prices hurt everyone across the board. From one American to my Northern Brethren, I’m sorry that pig headed morons screwed you.

I hate this is happening, we don't really hear much about it down here. Believe me, I'm no bleeding heart, or green span or whatever, and as much as I like the saying, log earth first... Is that Canada's BIG Resource? What happen' when the Fir is gone? Sorry boys just throwing this out for reflection. Sounds like a good one for KEENER? Ya'll be careful up there

I think everbody's correct about the meddling of politicians and big business in the free trade market (what happened to Nafta?). I'm no economist (BIG Yawn) but maybe the root of this tariff is the lopsided exchange rate is hurting the US timber companies. I know in my neck of the woods, all of the 18 wheelers are hauling 2 by's in from Quebec. Heck, its cheaper to drive to Monteal fro the weekend to see the Red Sox play than to drive into Boston and pay Fenway prices.

I agree and i guess the root to most of the problem is our slumping dollar. i have said for years that we need a North American dollar with Canada US Mexico. I think with us the Canadians having the natural resources and the Mexicans with cheaper labour and you Americans with the money, we could rock the world in products and services.

No we have other resources like lots a water.oil gas but most of it is controled by government and they dont have the balls to open it up to big businness and have our economy and dollar increase.

We all need to work together for the common goal of feeding our families and having WOOD roofs over our heads.

John W

Latest posts

Back