Solo 637 climb saw and Active 39.39

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt81

Bliss: Saw full of fuel and yard full of trees!
Reaction score
I have been offered a Solo 637 from a dealer who is getting rid of old stock. He has a Solo 637, 636, 643IP and 652 all at great prices. I know that the Solo 637 climb saw has decent build quality but will be slower than a 200T or my 338XPT probably for that matter. I knew a little about the Solo but was looking for some extra info. I stumbled across this on the New Zealand Solo website.

http://www.solonz.co.nz/Products/Chainsaws/Pruning-Chainsaws/Solo-637-Chainsaw

Notice how where it says model it says Active 39 and not Solo 637? Does this mean that the Active is simply a Solo saw?
I Thought that the Solo 637 was 40cc and not 38cc like the Active? Plus the Active has 2 bar studs vs the Solo's 1. Also the published weights are very different (3.3 vs 3.7) if they are to be believed. Surely this hints at Solo making these saws for Active? Hard to believe that if this is simply a typo that it would not have been fixed on their companies website. :rolleyes:

I have wanted to try out an Italian made Active 39.39 for some time and finally found a dealer in Falkner Victoria.
I thought the Active was something special being Italian made. Not all that interested now if it is just a re branded Solo. :(

Here is some Active info on their models for those interested.

http://www.active-srl.com/eng/catmotoseghe.pdf

As I wrote in the other thread it is a clone to the Zenoah 2500 / Oleo Mac 260 / Efco 2600 with a little more ccm/hp. I did a thread some time ago on the oleo mac but the pics got lost. Will have to redue. I still have mine and have used it a lot. I like it! Of course I am no pro so it's not heavy duty use. Would it stand up to pro use? I have no idea but I guess it would last a few years. Here is a link to the review.
http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...leo-mac-gs-260-efco-mt-2600-pic-heavy.204968/

Would I as a pro buy one? The answer is no. Why? Because I have read so much about the Echo 355t being a GREAT TH I would rather buy that.

As I wrote in the other thread it is a clone to the Zenoah 2500 / Oleo Mac 260 / Efco 2600 with a little more ccm/hp. I did a thread some time ago on the oleo mac but the pics got lost. Will have to redue. I still have mine and have used it a lot. I like it! Of course I am no pro so it's not heavy duty use. Would it stand up to pro use? I have no idea but I guess it would last a few years. Here is a link to the review.
http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...leo-mac-gs-260-efco-mt-2600-pic-heavy.204968/

Would I as a pro buy one? The answer is no. Why? Because I have read so much about the Echo 355t being a GREAT TH I would rather buy that.

I was just curious how it mentioned Active 39 on the Solo NZ website under the 637 Top Handle. o_O

I am just after something that performs ok and is reliable as a back up to my main climb saw, which is the 338XPT NE at the moment. I have never owned a Solo saw and am not a brand snob so i am interested to look outside of a Husky / Stihl saw purchase. I do have a T540XP BNIB. I just do not like how it feels in my hands at all. Even with the Tech-lite bar it still feels a little awkward compared to my 338XPT. Maybe it is just i am too comfortable with the 338XPT and need to try something new?

Yeah, i hear you about the Echo. I have heard nothing but great reviews. I have a 360T and it is well built, reliable and easy to start cold or hot. It just doesn't set my world on fire with it's performance. Honestly my old worn out 334T will cut rings around it. I have been informed that the 355T is a huge step up from the 360T however.

If i buy smart and get the Echo like everyone tells me, the 338XPT might be the backup saw. ;) :chainsaw:

Solo were building saws in west germany before stihl/husky. They are quality products that are better value than the majors. Did you know solo pretty much designed the Dolmar 6400/7900 saws....not many people do. l have lots of solo gear sprayers, b/pack blowers, saws, brushcutters ect. l will say this l would not swap any of them for the equivelant stihl/husy, not a chance. My solo 681 ( pretty much the same saw as dolmar 7900) would confidently spank any stock 80cc saw on the market and is so so smooth. l want a 643ip (semi pro) just for its power/wieght. Matt l challenge you to find a stock 40cc saw that...A, is lighter B, has more hp/kw. Go on have a look at the specs and compare it to the others. Please proove me wrong....l confidently know you will not. Buy with confidence my friend. Oh yeah they dont cut corners like stihl..no MIC(made in china) parts like stihl/husky, real fuel filters & not them crude cheesy nylon/plastic one in stihls Don't get me wrong, l run huskies/stihls but the reason they are so dear is they spend lots of money marketing telling the world how great their ideas are....like elast start, air injection, revboost. Get the drift. Buy solo with confidence & you will be pleasantly supprised.

@CR888
Well I like my Solo 644 (new pro model with 45ccm/3,5hp) a lot!!! and see the brand as an excelent buy! But I believe for a small saw the Tanaka/Hitachi ECV-4501/ CS 40 EL fall's into the same class with 43ccm and 2.8hp at 4kg weight! I only have the little brother ECV3801/CS40EK (38cc/2.4hp!/4kg), but I can tell you I like mine! It is built like a pro saw with magnesium body. Here is a short video so you get kind of an idea.

Solo were building saws in west germany before stihl/husky. They are quality products that are better value than the majors. Did you know solo pretty much designed the Dolmar 6400/7900 saws....not many people do. l have lots of solo gear sprayers, b/pack blowers, saws, brushcutters ect. l will say this l would not swap any of them for the equivelant stihl/husy, not a chance. My solo 681 ( pretty much the same saw as dolmar 7900) would confidently spank any stock 80cc saw on the market and is so so smooth. l want a 643ip (semi pro) just for its power/wieght. Matt l challenge you to find a stock 40cc saw that...A, is lighter B, has more hp/kw. Go on have a look at the specs and compare it to the others. Please proove me wrong....l confidently know you will not. Buy with confidence my friend. Oh yeah they dont cut corners like stihl..no MIC(made in china) parts like stihl/husky, real fuel filters & not them crude cheesy nylon/plastic one in stihls Don't get me wrong, l run huskies/stihls but the reason they are so dear is they spend lots of money marketing telling the world how great their ideas are....like elast start, air injection, revboost. Get the drift. Buy solo with confidence & you will be pleasantly supprised.

I hear ya mate. I don't currently own any Solo saws but have used many Solo saws and other OPE products many times over the years. Nothing but good things to say about them. I own a Solo backpack sprayer. Honestly it is the best quality one i have ever used.

I just have maybe opened my ears too much to a certain troll that lurks around these parts, who tells everyone that Solo weight and power specs are never to be trusted! ;)

I am way ahead of you with the 643IP. I am currently thinking of buying one. I was looking to buy another Dolmar 340 because i use it so much for limbing, but looked around for something with similar weight but a bit more grunt (and a side chain tensioner! I hate the front one on the Dolmar!). I looked at other Dolmars but then looked at Solo and the 643IP looked head and shoulders better on paper. I bought a new Kawasaki KMS27 multitool hedger and pole saw from this same bloke not long ago. He has a few Solo saws at great prices. 643IP - $300. 652 - $550. 637 - $490 636 - $250 440 blower - $320 These are Aussie dollars prices with full warranty. I almost feel like selling one of my Dolmar 5105's and getting that 652. I have used a 652 before and they are a really fine saw. 3.3 Hp and only 4.7 kg! I am real attached to my Dolmar's so that is saying something about the 652 right there! :rock:

Stihl is without a doubt the best chainsaw manufacturer in the world. Notice i didn't say they make the best saws. ;) They thrive off their reputation and advertising. I have used many if not all of their more popular pro models over the years and they are ok to good, some models better than others, but no more than that. I do like the Ms460 and MS660, but both are close to double the cost of my 80cc Dolmar 7900! The prices they charge for new equipment is ridiculous. Servicing also. My boss got his MS660 rebuilt and it cost him basically the same as a brand new MS660 from the US. :dizzy: Plus it was not done well. I should have done it but didn't have the time then. I have never owned a Stihl chainsaw....ever, and hopefully never will. I am lucky that i don't wear Stihl coloured sunnies and am able to look around and see other much cheaper equipment made just as well that cuts just as well also. My boss is constantly borrowing my "crappy and plasticy" (his words) 338XPT because his MS200T is constantly not running right due to a Chinese carb that the Stihl shop has put on it. He has had to eat his words now because my 338XPT just keeps cutting and doesn't play up once a month like his Chinese carb MS200T. No Chinese parts to be found on my Dolmars, glad to hear it is the same for Solo. :clap:

Matt, l got a good solo contact (national importer) and get dealer pricing and clearence pricing. lf you want a few things l could see what l could come up with.......get the drift.

Matt, l got a good solo contact (national importer) and get dealer pricing and clearence pricing. lf you want a few things l could see what l could come up with.......get the drift.

Cheers mate! I really appreciate the offer. That sounds pretty good to me! I don't honestly NEED any saws right now, but i am always interested to try out new models i have never run and put them through their paces in a working environment. At the very least AS will be getting my honest no BS opinion, and hopefully we will be able to show the orange and white fanboys that there are other excellent quality saws coming out of Germany that have ALL German parts. I try with my Dolmars but people are always afraid of what they don't know. There is not much Solo airtime here on AS, it would be good to have some detailed info other than "they are good" or "they are awful".

Like i said i have used a 652 before and was impressed. I just have too many 50cc saws with the 2 5105's and the 345 and 346XP. I would like a chance to run the 656 as it is a fair bit more power than my 5105's while being lighter but still features a magnesium crank case. It would be nice to run a 651 alongside my 5105 also to compare them, as on paper these are very closely matched saws.

The 3 saws i would be very keen to get my hands on are: 643IP, 656 and the 637 climb saw. If the prices are better than the ones i mentioned in my post i would be stupid to say no.

l here you on the 'need' & wants with regaurd to saws. l am guilty as sin in the 50cc class to..snellerized 261, stock 261, 550xp and a cheap talon 50cc l was given. Don't get me wrong l love stihl gear....they make good stuff and l have 200t/201rear handle/ms241cm/M/Miind 660 on its way:). Its just the cost of them compared to what else is available that makes other options more sensible. You know the drill! I buy new still stuff from US and sadly don't visit my still dealer for supplies anymore after my last experience when l needed 3 rim sprockets and the guy tried to charge me $99! Funny thing was 1 of the sprockets was a Carlton....they seriously need to do something about their pricing as anyone in the know imports overseas. Another good solo to check out is the 656 pro saw...check out those specs! .....l just noticed reading your above post again you got your eye on that one:rock:!!

From what I learned after owning a solo 637 there was a OE old edition and NE new edition 40cc like I had. They are not a 200T or 338xpt. But still a good saw for the price difference, about half.
IMO AV better then 200T.

3450BB3750bb338637mac001.jpg

2009 stock video testing in frozen wood 12"round that was bigger then my 12" bar could reach through.

I have been offered a Solo 637 from a dealer who is getting rid of old stock. He has a Solo 637, 636, 643IP and 652 all at great prices. I know that the Solo 637 climb saw has decent build quality but will be slower than a 200T or my 338XPT probably for that matter. I knew a little about the Solo but was looking for some extra info. I stumbled across this on the New Zealand Solo website.

http://www.solonz.co.nz/Products/Chainsaws/Pruning-Chainsaws/Solo-637-Chainsaw

Notice how where it says model it says Active 39 and not Solo 637? Does this mean that the Active is simply a Solo saw?
I Thought that the Solo 637 was 40cc and not 38cc like the Active? Plus the Active has 2 bar studs vs the Solo's 1. Also the published weights are very different (3.3 vs 3.7) if they are to be believed. Surely this hints at Solo making these saws for Active? Hard to believe that if this is simply a typo that it would not have been fixed on their companies website. :rolleyes:

I have wanted to try out an Italian made Active 39.39 for some time and finally found a dealer in Falkner Victoria.
I thought the Active was something special being Italian made. Not all that interested now if it is just a re branded Solo. :(

Here is some Active info on their models for those interested.

http://www.active-srl.com/eng/catmotoseghe.pdf

Solo [Now AlKo] have NOTHING to do with ACTIVE SrL, not now, not ever!

The ACTIVE range is fully designed and made by them in Italy*

ALL chainsaw companies buy each others products, pull it to bits, reverse engineer it etc to get ideas, its normal, taught that in engineering school.

The only relationship ACTIVE have with another brand is with Maruyama of Japan.

*ACTIVE sell a 28.28 which is the Maruyama MCV3100T under private label, and also back-pack blower made my Maruyama model BL85, both are solid engineered Japanese products

This is common knowledge and done to expands its range

You can see it on the Facebook Page

Cheers

Agree herbs, the website is in need of an overhaul like AS just got. Extra info like the Husky or Dolmar sites would be a good start.

My boss actually started out with the Solo 637. He rates it highly. He said he would never go back after having the 200T for many years and after recently using my T540XP, but it was powerful and very reliable being used almost daily.

Solo [Now AlKo] have NOTHING to do with ACTIVE SrL, not now, not ever! The ACTIVE range is fully designed and made by them in Italy* Cheers

Turns out that the reason it says Active 39 under "model" for the Solo 637 on the Solo NZ website, is that Solo had been having stock shortages of the 637. Plus now that the 637 is no longer made, Solo were for a while simply buying the Active saw and selling it to people who were buying the Solo 637 to cover the stock shortfall. Shows how good the Active 39 must be for Solo to simply give it to customers in lieu of their own model of saw.

Latest posts

Back