Solo 650 Deal or No Deal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainman14624

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Local Ace Hardware store that handles returned items has a Solo 650 without the bar and chain. Everything in box looks new and even has chain guard in box. Price is $250. 18" bar and chain combo would be about $50 with shipping.
Deal or not?

I would play hard to get and see if they will drop the price a little. Definitely look it over closely and check for anything out of the ordinary or broken. Also, I would imagine that you could get a bar and chain under 50 dollars from a member on here.

Yeah, I think I'll offer $200 and see if he'll take it. I noticed the Ace Hardware Outlet had a complete 650 for $319, so $250 is not that great a deal when the "all sales final" sign is figured into the equation.
Thanks for the input,
Rainman

Talked to owner and he said he rarely negotiated a price if he only had one or two of an item, and there is only one chain saw in the place. I gave him my card and told him to call me if he decided it had been sitting on the shelf too long. I really don't need the saw because I've got a Stihl MS250 to handle my firewood needs. It just doesn't hurt to have a backup and I can't pass up a bargain. If he drops the price to around $200, it would meet my parameters as a bargain. He did say he asked the guy who is a Hustler mower dealer and has a small-engine repair shop about the saw and he raved about the quality of the Solo. However, this is the upper end of the homeowner saw line and not the professional, and I really don't put much faith in the Hustler dealer's opinion anyway.

Update!!!

Just got a call from the Ace store owner. He was under the impression the saw did not come with bar and chain until he got another Solo in. He said I could have the 650 without bar and chain for $150. I told him to put my name on it and I'd be there Wednesday (he's only open Wednesday and Saturday) to pick it up.
Thanks for the input. Now I need to find a good price on bar and chain. Solo numbers are 690025N for 18" bar and 690026N (95VP72) for chain. The Oregon bar-chain combo part number is 112570.
Rainman

That's even better than you hoped for; sounds like a bargain to me--congrats!

Just got a call from the Ace store owner. He was under the impression the saw did not come with bar and chain until he got another Solo in. He said I could have the 650 without bar and chain for $150. I told him to put my name on it and I'd be there Wednesday (he's only open Wednesday and Saturday) to pick it up.
Thanks for the input. Now I need to find a good price on bar and chain. Solo numbers are 690025N for 18" bar and 690026N (95VP72) for chain. The Oregon bar-chain combo part number is 112570.
Rainman

Any small mount husky, dolmar, jonsered bar will work. Check with the sponsors here and on ebay. Chains aren't that much if you get a bar and chain deal seperately.

Picked the 650 up today. Bought some fresh gas and added Stihl HP oil at about a 30:1 ratio. Choked it, pulled about 3 times and it tried to hit. Pushed in choke and it fired up on the next pull. Let it run a little, varying the rpms, but nothing close to WOT. Ordered an 18-inch ArborPro bar and Woodsman Pro (Carlton) 20NK chain from Bailey's. Got right at $200 in the whole deal, so I'm tickled. Can't wait to try it out on some firewood.
Thanks,
Rainman

Great saw, and great deal. I have a 645 That I bought from the local hardware as a similar deal to yours. I liked it so much I bought a thrashed 639 to play with.

I really prefer a 16" bar on these saws. The 650 should be fine to pull it, I have an 18" on my 645, but I like how the 16 balances a little better.

I haven't run an MS-250, but I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes your backup saw

I have a 690 Solo for my milling saw. Needless to say at 90cc it runs strong and sounds like a dirtbike. Enjoy the bargain 650!

Streblerm was right. The MS250 has been relegated to backup duty after my second firewood-cutting session with the Solo 650. Cut through white and red oak like "buttah."

solo 650....for $200.00

the 650 is a simple,tough saw...it vibrates more and is not quite as strong as it's competitors...but for 200.00 you got a deal and a half.
I was going to say that the solo will smoke your 250 but you already found that out!!!!!
nice going and enjoy the new saw!!!:clap:

Latest posts

Back