Solo 651 vss Dolmar 5100

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO there is no contest....my brother has a Dolmar5100 and my Pop has a solo 651. The Dolmar 5100 wipes it out in all categories and the solo is a decent saw. It will be my next chainsaw purchase....very impressed.

Which model Solo 651 SP or non SP?

SP is farmer grade (50,9cc, kW/hp 2,65/3,6)

non SP is pro grade (51ccm , 2,94kW/4,0hp)

I have been thinking about Solo also. I here conflicting reports. I always listen to people who own both brands.
E.V.A.Sawman has both saws in question. He said in a post Solo had more power. Others say no?
I tried to PM him but he does not take PM's.

solo vs 5100

I have both saw ans my solo is the old 3-4 yrs. square style. The two saws internally look quite different, carb mount air filters, ignition. My 5100 has maybe 12 tanks of fuel through it. the solo has many tanks of fuel, well broken in. the 5100 with an 18" 3/8 b&c would bog in the same wood the solo would not (solo 20" 3/8). I recently switched the 5100 to a .325 18" it made a difference but not that much. As far as a limbing only saw now the 5100 may be a bit faster, but when you put it in wood, the solo is still the champ. Maybe the new style solo is the same as the 5100 I don't know, but my solo is not. Also my solo has about 155lbs. compression, and the 5100 is at 175lbs. both cold. both good saws. Maybe all the other solo's have less power and maybe I just have a strong runner. Just like cars, snowmobiles, bikes, etc. it always seems you will get a strong runner out of the bunch.

In fairness, the one my Pop has is the farmer grade solo.. Both good saws either way...:

i think they ran the saws @ a GTG last year up north. from what i remember the new solo was unremakable and would have its hands full with a 260 $tihl. the details are a bit fuzzy.

Too many versions of Solo 651 out there - LOL :dizzy:

...and Solo is well known for "optimistic" specs - not sure if they have gotten over it yet....:popcorn::popcorn:

The 656 sure looks good in the spec sheet, but again....:confused:

Last edited:
Which model Solo 651 SP or non SP?

SP is farmer grade (50,9cc, kW/hp 2,65/3,6)

non SP is pro grade (51ccm , 2,94kW/4,0hp)

Old specs, and proven to be very optimistic in the past.......:givebeer:

The new 651/656 is a more or less new story - but none that have used them has been impressed either, if memory serves.

Last edited:
Old specs, and proven to be very optimistic in the past.......:givebeer:

The new 651/656 is a more or less new story - but none that have used them has been impressed either, if memory serves.

From everything I've read about Solo VS Dolmar,reviews from real users,reviews from web sites, spec sheets and dealers,I would go with Dolmar.

The spec sheets do look impressive from Solo,also the quality and durability seem good with Solo.Their can be a trade off for speed vs reliability and longevity.

Just my opinion.

I have a Solo 651pro from the mid 90's. The feel is just about perfect regarding handle distance, angles, and the rear handle is a bit fatter than most in that class, which I like. It handles just as good as a 346, and of course way better than a 5100. Power wise though, it isn't going to keep up with the 5100 or the 346/2153. So, we have the same old debate about which may be more important to an owner: More power, or more comfortable to work with.

Other items: Build quality goes to the Dolmar. There may have been changes, but things like the starter assembly and that hoaky paper clip throttle link on the Solo are kind of lame. But I think the 651 is an easier saw to work on than the 5100.

Looks like you're going to have to get both of them.:givebeer:

Solo 656 cc

The Solo 656 is listed at 56 cc, which gives it roughly a ten percent displacement advantage over its 50 cc competitors. I would expect the added displacement to show up somewhere, either in peak power or in lugging power. However, much depends on respective engineering genius and compression ratio.

Latest posts

Back