Solo 681 or Dolmar 7900?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cerran

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Looking at another saw to have with the way EPA rated things are going I want a good saw I can keep around in case it becomes impossible to get the non-epa equipment in the future.

So which would be the better choice? I love my 372XP but was thinking of something slightly larger.

What are the pros/cons of each saw?

Pros: Both well made 80cc saws. (go easy troll)

Cons: Not as extensive dealer support as Stihl or Husky.

There are a bunch of threads here somewhere about that if you search.

I believe the Solo is a tad (or more) heavier, but may have some improvements (air filter?), and a tad more power.

Personally, I would feel safer by going with the Dolmar......

CuttinScott or 166 need to join this tread, as they sell both.

Last edited:
I've seen them run side-by-side and the 681 is a little more powerful. The difference is there but not all that great. WkPoor has one and says he no longer needs his 395 since the 681 is just as powerful in 32" wood.

I've seen them run side-by-side and the 681 is a little more powerful. The difference is there but not all that great. WkPoor has one and says he no longer needs his 395 since the 681 is just as powerful in 32" wood.

Interesting. Looking at the weights on Baileys, the 395 comes in at 17.4 and the 681 at 14.6. I know printed specs are off but that 681 is pretty light compared. Good job Dolmar/solo! I have always thought the 395 was heavy, I have only picked one up though. Guess I will stick with the lighter 660.....

The only bad thing about the 681 is the fact that Solo has even less dealer support than Dolmar, I also here that parts are scarce, even with online ordering. With that said I think overall the 681 is a little better than the 7900, but not so much so that I'd pass over the 7900. If you can find a local dealer get the 7900, if not order a 681 from baileys.:cheers:

Well I spoke to the "Local" dealer who is about 25 miles away for the Dolmar 7900 today and he quoted me $615 for the powerhead only. Seemed like a reasonable deal. Since my Husky 372 bars are interchangeable with the 7900 that means I can just use those bars on the 7900.

Is Amicks not able to Sell Dolmar at all mail order or just not over the internet?

I'm leaning towards the Dolmar as it has the longer history as a solid saw right now.

Last edited:
I have 2 7900s and love them. But with a 32+ inch bar my 066 and 395 outcut them by a large margin.

I am going to pick another 80cc saw before the 2010 epa regs change them, and my choices are between another 7900 and a 681 (which I have not run).

The 681 sounds a bit stronger, but my take so far is that the dogs they come with are too small for me and I don't know if they come with decomp yet which I want on a saw that size.

Some posters have said the AV on the 681 is a bit softer/spongier feeling than the 7900, but both are reported to have good vibration levels.

At this point I am leaning toward another 7900 rather because it will use the same parts, etc as the ones I have already. And the 7900 is a nice saw and gets the job done.

That said, I am still looking forward to running a 681 alongside one of my 7900s.

Edit: $615 for a 7900 PH is a great price if you could actually get it for that. Pick up a spare airfilter, a 372 ignitionswitch and you are good to go.

Last edited:
Is the 7900 PH the heated handle version? I don't really have a need for a heated handle version of the 7900 as most of my cutting is spring to fall.

I've talked the dealer down to $605 + Tax for the PS-7900. Although I am considering spending a couple extra bucks for the wrap handle as I do like the wrap handle on my 372XPW.

Any other suggestions on purchasing a Dolmar or Solo Saw? This will likely be my last saw purchase in quite some time unless I see another smoking deal on craigslist.

Last edited:
Is the 7900 PH the heated handle version? I don't really have a need for a heated handle version of the 7900 as most of my cutting is spring to fall.

I've talked the dealer down to $605 + Tax for the PS-7900. Although I am considering spending a couple extra bucks for the wrap handle as I do like the wrap handle on my 372XPW.

Any other suggestions on purchasing a Dolmar or Solo Saw? This will likely be my last saw purchase in quite some time unless I see another smoking deal on craigslist.

PH is Power Head. I'd lean towards whoever had the best dealer support in your area.

Mark

Well "best" dealer support is sort of difficult and there is really only one reasonable dealer in the area. Most of the others are home/garden centers who can order the Dolmar but aren't going to service it in any meaningful fashion.

As long as the saw doesn't up and pop bearings or seals I should be in good shape as I take very good care of my equipment.

Sounds like the 7900W is the way I'll go.

Any suggestions on a 20" bar/Chain combo that I can interchange with the Dolmar and my 372?

I have 2 7900s and love them... Pick up a spare airfilter, a 372 ignitionswitch and you are good to go.

I just bought a new 7900, is the ignition switch faulty? Is the proper fix to replace it with a Husky 372 switch?

Also, how long should I expect the factory air cleaner to last, or are you just suggesting getting a spare so it can be changed in the field (since the stock filter is IMO small)?

I just bought a new 7900, is the ignition switch faulty? Is the proper fix to replace it with a Husky 372 switch?

Also, how long should I expect the factory air cleaner to last, or are you just suggesting getting a spare so it can be changed in the field (since the stock filter is IMO small)?

Maybe the Dolmar switches are better now, but I used to have them fall apart every few months on each saw until I swapped in a husky switch. It's the only problem I've had. Since I keep a spare switch in my toolbox I am back in business in about 60 seconds.

The air filters are kind of wimpy looking, but I find they work fine and stay clean pretty well (green wood usually, sharp chains). I always have a spare air filter for each of my saws so I can swap in a clean one back at the shop while the old one dries from cleaning. They seem to be holding up just fine so far.

Last edited:
<snip>
I always have a spare air filter for each of my saws so I can swap in a clean one back at the shop while the old one dries from cleaning. They seem to be holding up just fine so far.

and the new saws have the new style pre-filter top cover which will help things immeasurably.

Maybe the Dolmar switches are better now, but I used to have them fall apart every few months on each saw until I swapped in a husky switch. It's the only problem I've had. Since I keep a spare switch in my toolbox I am back in business in about 60 seconds.

The air filters are kind of wimpy looking, but I find they work fine and stay clean pretty well (green wood usually, sharp chains). I always have a spare air filter for each of my saws so I can swap in a clean one back at the shop while the old one dries from cleaning. They seem to be holding up just fine so far.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep an eye on my ignition switch and air filter. How can I tell if my saw has the newer style cover, is there a filter built into the cover?

Thanks for the info, I'll keep an eye on my ignition switch and air filter. How can I tell if my saw has the newer style cover, is there a filter built into the cover?

It's more a screen instead of holes.

Occasionally someone will post a pic of the old and new caps, so a quick search should be able to find it.

Latest posts

Back