[solo rigging] 1-man Fishing Pole technique?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eye.heart.trees

arborjunky
Reaction score
Is there any reason you couldn't set a Fishing Pole rig configuration, and simply have the bullrope's tail exit the basal anchorage & travel right up to you in the tree?

I see all kinds of issues so far as rope-interactions (piece comes banging-into your control-rope leg of the bullrope) but suspect in many cases they could be mitigated by setting a couple other anchors....biggest issue I can imagine would simply be getting the line tight if you're pulling the tail end of the rope from the canopy you just wouldn't have the same pre-tensioning strength but I can't imagine that's a deal breaker?

Would love to hear thoughts, and apologies if there's something obvious about this idea that negates it on its face, have been contemplating it a few days now and - provided I've got my rope anchored safely - feel I could do this successfully (I, of course, would triple check that my rope was long enough, in the particular case where I want to go try this my rope is farrr longer than needed so know I'll be fine there :) )

1) Someone must untie the piece lowered.
2) It would increase the load on the fishing pole by 150%, minus friction.

Why not just take a friction device up in the tree for the climber to use to lower?

I know it'd need to be untied but that's inherent to all roped pieces I drop (is there any way for me to drop a roped piece, and then pull that rope back up? Cannot fathom how there is, but you say that as-if it's particular to this method?)

I do use a friction device (Safebloc) as terminal, and frequently have a pair of XL's feeding the Bloc. I do get that, by doing the 'basal & back', that I'm doubling-up on the anchor point (why did you say 150%? I thought you double when you do a basal tie?), *BUT*.....while it'd be increasing the net force at that point, wouldn't it still be better since, while a bit more force, that force is now acting WAY more in-line with the tree (IE you're taking advantage of columnar branches & trunk and pushing the force "into them" to 'squish' them in compression, whereas with the normal approach - even though it's lower weight - that weight/force is at the worst angling possible.

I guess I was thinking of this as a technique for solo-rigging of areas where you dislike the integrity of the final anchor position, you're already using a Safebloc in that posiition, so instead of just having 100% of the forces on that limb pulling downward, sure you're upping forces a lil BUT they're now forces that're in-compression along the limb & trunking!!!

Hope that made sense, am eager to hear replies now that I've put it this way! It's certainly not a routine technique, just something I was thinking could be a tool for those spots where, even w/ the Safebloc, you'd still want a lil more help ensuring the integrity of that last anchoring point....this does increase force as you mention but sometimes 3X the force is OK if the force-vectors are significantly more favorable!

Latest posts

Back