solo saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anyone know anything about solo chainsaws?

wayne

I use to have one...

attachment.php

The old pro saws were top of the line, although hard to get parts for. The 680 was, and still is a sought after 5-cube for racing.

The new saws seem to be receiving praise in the power department, but for the guys that use them to cut timber, they seem to fall short in air filtration and overall ruggedness. The 460 and 660 Stihls are hard to beat if you are putting 8 hrs. a day on a saw.

I bought a 681 earlier in the year. I really like it and rarely pick up the 395XP anymore.There is nothing wrong with the filtration. The problem is flywheel fan really sucks in alot of air and dust and chips with it. Filter setup works fine. I just keep an eye on it and keep the airbox area blowed clean frequently. I'm easy on my equipment so I can't comment on rugginess but remember there are those that can break an anvil with a feather!

I bought a 681 earlier in the year. I really like it and rarely pick up the 395XP anymore.There is nothing wrong with the filtration. The problem is flywheel fan really sucks in alot of air and dust and chips with it. Filter setup works fine. I just keep an eye on it and keep the airbox area blowed clean frequently. I'm easy on my equipment so I can't comment on rugginess but remember there are those that can break an anvil with a feather!

Well, a few guys I know that have tried taking the 681/7900 into the woods for a day of falling have problems keeping the filters clean. NO air compressor in the woods to blow it clean after a couple tanks of gas.

I am sure they work fine and hold up well for most of the free-lance firewood cutters here at AS.

I can't deny the Husky air filtration system works great! If only my Solo had that system it would be but another nail in the 395 coffin.

Well, a few guys I know that have tried taking the 681/7900 into the woods for a day of falling have problems keeping the filters clean. NO air compressor in the woods to blow it clean after a couple tanks of gas.

I am sure they work fine and hold up well for most of the free-lance firewood cutters here at AS.

All the new Makita's/Dolmar's have a new pre-cleaner screen in the top cover to reduce filter cleaning intervals.

BTW, most of the blokes I know have an air compressor in their utes, and how hard is it to keep a spare filter ?
I think Echo may have come up with the fan system to reduce the air filter service intervals too, and some other manufacturers have now copied.

I carry a 7900 sometimes for felling, carry 2 spare filters in your pack/pocket, and you can put in a full day. I haven't got the new updated filter cover, but that might make it better. It's not that big a deal, but it does cause me to pick up the 372 more often.

Andy

Easy fix...............called a spare air filter!!!

so what would we say the consensous is on solos since this went on a rabbit trail?

wayne

I don't know what the consensous is, but in my opinion Solo makes a darn good saw. I got a new 681 a few weeks ago and so far I really like it. I know a couple of guy's racing 680's & 690's, and they are hard to beat. The only problem I see is the dealer network is small, and parts may be a problem without a dealer.
And I thought that was an Elk trail this thread went off on. If I'd known it was only a rabbit, I wouldn't have gone.

Andy

Last edited:
I have a dealer trying to sell me a 51 cc for about 380 but not sure if i want it im really eyeing a dolmar 6400

wayne

I'm no expert but me thinks that the 5100S and 7900 are the best 2 saws in the Dolmar lineup comparing weight to HP ratios. However I have not run anything but those 2 saws. Just looking at it from a paper point of view. I do think that the 5100S and 7900 make a good combo for felling and limbing. Same goes for the Solo equivalents 651 and 681.

Hi Wayne,

The Solo's are very well built, offering excellent power to weight ratio's in what seems to be a reliable package. My local dealer loaned me the following Solo saws for evaluation before purchase: 651 and a 656.

The 651 and 656 are basically the same weight due to the use of a common power head. The 656 has a larger bore, slightly increasing the cc's. I felt that the larger bore did increase the torque of the 656 and made it the better choice of the two, especially in hard woods reducing overall cut time. Both saws were very ergonomically designed and well balanced with an effective anti-vibration systems and a low noise muffler. A pre-filter is standard equipment and does help to keep the main filter clean.

Here are the specs:
651: 50.8 cc, bore/stroke: 45/32, max. power at rpm: 2.9/9500, max. torque at rpm: 3.0 at 6,000: max. permissible speed no load with cutter: 13,500 +/- 200 rpm, sound: 113 dB, sprocket: 7 ring.

656: 56cc, bore/stroke: 47/32, max. power at rpm: 3.1/9500, max. torque at rpm: 3.2 at 6,000: max. permissible speed no load with cutter: 14,000 +/- 200 rpm, sound: 116 dB, sprocket: 7 ring, weight: 5.3kg. Warranty: 2 year for both consumer and commercial use.

Husqvarna 357XP: 57cc, bore/stroke: 46/34, max. power at rpm: 3.2/9600, max permissible speed no load: 14,000 rpm, weight: 5.5 kg. Warranty: 2 year consumer, 90 day commerical.

I purchased the 656 and have cut about 15 cords of red and white oak thus far with about a 50/50 ratio of green and dried wood. I usually cut all morning, only stopping to refill the gas, bar oil, shake out the pre-filter and to drink some water. The saw is literally ran wide open for hours. The saw has been reliable, and a solid performer. However, I did find Solo's jetting to be far off: lean on the low end causing it to bog when opening up the throttle quickly, and very rich on top.

For comparison, my friend uses a Husqvarna 357XP and we have been cutting wood together for the last week. After finally getting some decent time on the 357XP, I can offer a revised comparison between the 656 and the 357XP.
Weight: No noticeable difference. However, the Solo does have a slight weight bias toward the nose of the bar where the 357 seems to have a perfect 50/50 ratio making it easier to carry around in the woods.
Noise: No comparison, I can't even hear the 656 when he is cutting next to me.
Ergonomics: Both saw are excellent in this category.
Vibration: I would rate the Solo slightly above the 357 at isolating the user from vibrations.
Ease of filter cleaning: The 357XP wins with a no tool setup. The 656 requires the removal of two screws to clean the filter.
Quality: Tough call. Both seemed to be excellent in workmanship. However, screws and bolts do seem to vibrate loose on the 357XP.
Performance: Before jetting the 656: no comparison, the 357XP would cut almost twice as fast. Now that it has been jetted, the 656 runs equal to the 357XP with perhaps a slight advantage in power and speed for the 357XP.

In closing, I have found Solo's to be an excellent saw, offering performance and reliability. I am very happy with the purchase and have ordered a 681 for cutting larger trees. The 681 is very close in designed to the Dolamr 7900, which is very well respected. I believe the 6400 and 7900 use the same power head and are similar in weight. If that is the case, I'd spring for a 7900, or the 681 because one can never have enough power. If price is a factor, you might want to look into a Dolmar PS5100 as it has been receiving great reviews. If you want something around 60cc and the prices are similar, I'd look into the 656 or 357XP as both are great saws.

Hope you find something useful out of all of this.

I have several of Solo's mid range saws. Yes, they have the dreaded plastic bodies and clamshell crank case. I have found them to be reliable and well built. One of them I purchased new (45cc) for 200$ the other one (39cc) came from e-bay as a non runner thrashed to within an inch of its life. I can't believe how well the e-bay saw runs for how thrashed it was when I got it. I also have an older 654 on the bench right now mid rebuild.

They don't have the dealer support like the big two, but parts can be bought direct from SOLOusa.com and availability has been very good.

Bottom line, I think they are well built saws for the money and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Back