Solution to the 21" Mingo marker wheel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That one I linked was, IIRC, 7075 aluminum, not steel. (and on closeout for $10 if you can't find a used one for free)
A nice crankset (2 arms, two chainrings, and bolts) weighs about a pound and a half. The smaller (42 tooth) chainring alone probably weighs less than 3 ounces. I was thinking you could screw the chainring to a 18" Mongo wheel, but maybe that wouldn't be feasible.

Ah, I didn't notice the link. It's all skeletonized and aluminum. That would work great. :clap:

Ian

Make one out of a circular saw blade. A 7" blade will measure about 21 3/4" and a 7 1/8 blade will measure 22 1/2" etc. :)

Hmmm.... good idea, back in a minute, maybe two.

Last edited:
One half hour later, a quick test.

Found an old 7" blade that I used and abused on roof shingles and a couple of rubber grommets that would fit, I used only the yellow one. It fit snuggly on the hub of the wheel and inside the arbor hole of the blade.

978568754_FGvmh-XL.jpg

I used my 18" wheel as a test bed.

978569011_NTvE3-XL.jpg

978568833_TeAep-XL.jpg

Test out on plywood to about 22". A slightly smaller blade is all that is needed to obtain 21". A 6 1/2" blade should get you near 20".

A few spots of silicone would make it permanent. I can take this one apart and use the 18" wheel if needed.

978569063_Dniho-XL.jpg

Last edited:
As I don't want to run around hunting a new can of paint because This one is empty or the nozzle is stopped up. IF I were to care what length the sticks were I would simply have a tape measure and one of those PINK Lumber chalk markers and I would have the log marked before you got that wheel thingy out of the truck.

Haywood

I spent 2/3 of my life in the military to hopefully preserve, among other things, your freedom of speech to make such comments. I was only offering an alternative method in a humorous manner.

I was just giving you some ribbing in return. I meant no offense. I did 7 years in the army myself and am a veteran of the first go-round in Iraq.

Ian

One half hour later, a quick test.

Found an old 7" blade that I used and abused on roof shingles and a couple of rubber grommets that would fit, I used only the yellow one. It fit snuggly on the hub of the wheel and inside the arbor hole of the blade.

978568754_FGvmh-XL.jpg

I used my 18" wheel as a test bed.

978569011_NTvE3-XL.jpg

978568833_TeAep-XL.jpg

Test out on plywood to about 22". A slightly smaller blade is all that is needed to obtain 21". A 6 1/2" blade should get you near 20".

A few spots of silicone would make it permanent. I can take this one apart and use the 18" wheel if needed.

978569063_Dniho-XL.jpg
11 years later I'm in the same predicament. Any chance you could restore the pics? I'm looking for 20" dots.

Over a decade later, still works.
Just measure around the outside for length of cut you prefer and mark. Cut the the ring off and shorten to your marks. Squeeze together, reduce the center to fit and epoxy. I used a large hose clamp to hold until set up.
Mingo 22.JPG

Latest posts

Back