Solving the multiple-bidders conundrum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I absolutely hate showing up for an estimate only to see that the homeowner has also scheduled xxxxxx tree service to be there at the same time. Usually i just keep driving. Sometimes tree guys just happen to show up at the same time, but its a different story when the HO has scheduled both to be there at the same time as a ploy to get a cheaper price. Those types are usually the very worst price shoppers .

I love when that happens. what are you talking about? Its fun! what's the big deal.

Write up an evaluation of what needs to be done ! Write it "as in your oppinion the following work is neccessary ", Bla! Bla! Bla!.... Retain a copy of the written estimate. Include your Bid Amount for the work! Bill them $125.00 for your expertise ! Make it known to the client that you will lower your bill by 50% if you do the work ! When they don't pay take them to small claims court ! You"ll win 95% of the time ! Tried & proven method when they ask for your oppinion !!!!!!!:clap:

I have no idea what you are saying either but try that with me if you want. But everybody else in other professions certainly cashes in on it.

So I will toss out the " proposals" and write estimates. Something I never did. No estimate, that's the end price before I start. But an estiamte is just that and I think I will write them and then add a few bucks after we have finished. Actually I will wait til I am about done and then tell em.
Really, I am dead serious. I took the outback to get inspected. They go and put a set of 25 dollar wiper blade REFILLS ( not the whole thing just the rubber) and do it with out telling me. They call to say the car is done so I go get it. This is just OK? No. Besides, I got a set of blades along with 7 oil filters for the dam thing right here. They are just fine with pulling this crap and they do expect you to pay.
Thing was that blades were fine anyway, just some sap stuck to one. I checked the whole thing out before I even take it in. I do not like leaving my stuff with other people for reasons just like this. 25 dollar wipers no big deal? Over time its a mint and a half. I paid 8 bucks for the set that is on the car now. I don't have that car anymore since the oil guy ruined it but got another just like it.
That needed insp, it needed rotors too. The guy said " 424" but then it was 492 when I picked it up. Funny.

This used to really get to me but then, I came up with an idea!
In my earlier life I ran and hung out in some not so nice areas
and made many contacts that were let us say of the criminal types.
I have found by showing up in a suit with several of these meatheads
and explaining to my competition my concerns and the fact they are
on my turf they get the message. I get 20% if ya are going to do
business in my area just remember to break one pinky so they get
the picture!

Just fooling with yas

Vinny fire up the boat weeer goin shark fishin:laugh:

Last edited:
This used to really get to me but then, I came up with an idea!
In my earlier life I ran and hung out in some no so nice areas
and made many contacts that were let us say of the criminal types.
I have found by showing up in a suit with several of these meatheads
and explaining to my competition my concerns and the fact they are
on my turf they get the message. I get 20% if ya are going to do
business in my area just remember to break one pinky so they get
the picture!

Dude I have rolled to jobs and there was allready another company there, either doing the job. done the job, or just working in the front yard and I was supposed to work in the back. I never even changed out of my sandals for that kind of treatment.
The one lady actually scheduled us both for the same day and didn't tell no one about it. The lady called my boss to say I cursed at her when I told the guy driving our top-kick to " stop f-ing around and get the f-ing thing outta there!" He was still trying to decide what to do and my feet were getting cold. I thought I had put up with enough allready but I never really said 2 words to her.

I absolutely hate showing up for an estimate only to see that the homeowner has also scheduled xxxxxx tree service to be there at the same time. Usually i just keep driving. Sometimes tree guys just happen to show up at the same time, but its a different story when the HO has scheduled both to be there at the same time as a ploy to get a cheaper price. Those types are usually the very worst price shoppers .

It's no big deal. Just agree on what needs to be done and then each give the HO a sealed bid. That's my MO from here on out.

He is not kidding around. Lots of companies do that. I think my old boss at Park Cities Tree Service originated it back in the sixties. But I think you invented the word "gig".

Twenty years spent as an otr musician. Old habits die hard.

Back