Some Arkansas Sweet/Redgum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDB777

I find unique timber and cut it up
Reaction score
Had to move some stuff around today to make room for the next load of Eastern Red Cedar and Wild Black Cherry I have sitting in a field in Beebe. Some of these ERC butt logs are right at 26" across and the WBC is almost 32" across....truly great pieces of timber, and I am going to think on them for awhile prior to slicing them up. Plenty of smaller pieces I can use for pen blanks already....and once the bigger stuff is cut, it can't be un-cut!

Sorry, no 'action shots', I was kind of busy cuttin'!!!!:msp_w00t:

Here are some photo's(eye-candy) for your enjoyment. Used my Jonesred 2094 Turbo 32" ripping set-up and Alaskan Mini Mill to cut these pieces. Was just a small crotch and I cut it so the inclusion grain would be the 'showcase'! This is some leftover Arkansas Sweet/Redgum, nothing special, just didn't want to burn it!

Enjoy!!!

How about a few close-ups:

Before anyone says anything, no water was used on these. Chainsaw milling doesn't use PinSol/water mixture and therefore doesn't need to be washed off. I just used an old broom to sweep them off(the sawchips). After running my Woodmizer so much, I have gotten use to seeing a nice clean finish, these chainsaws really mark the face plenty bad! But it is fun none-the-less!!!!!

Thanks for looking, I had fun today....well accept for moving those 2400lb logs!

Scott (feeling old now) B

BobL is a man with keen eyes people, and knows his chains!

You sir are correct! The Stihl 064 uses 114DL and the Jonesred uses 105DL, and them bar do not interchange! So when the Stihl decided it needed a day off(freakin' thing didn't want to start), I just grabbed a saw that would. I have ordered three more loops of ripping chain(1-114DL and 2-105DL). And that won't occur again!!!

That and the wood itself was really on the edge of not being user friendly(overly aged), and I had a difficult time slowing the saw down during the cut(scary sharp chain, big motor, and soft-ish wood).

Scott (sure are gonna be pretty later) B

BobL is a man with keen eyes people, and knows his chains!

You sir are correct! The Stihl 064 uses 114DL and the Jonesred uses 105DL, and them bar do not interchange! So when the Stihl decided it needed a day off(freakin' thing didn't want to start), I just grabbed a saw that would. I have ordered three more loops of ripping chain(1-114DL and 2-105DL). And that won't occur again!!!

That and the wood itself was really on the edge of not being user friendly(overly aged), and I had a difficult time slowing the saw down during the cut(scary sharp chain, big motor, and soft-ish wood).

Scott (sure are gonna be pretty later) B

Bob's the man! He's been at it for a while.

I've found that Stihl RM (3/8 .050 full comp) cuts as smoothly, or almost as smooth as ripping chain, and more quickly.

Your slabs definitely will have some character. I was cutting a largish walnut crotch last fall, and found bark inclusions deep into the crotch, much like yours. I also found some steel and a piece of limestone in that crotch.:msp_confused:

Scott,

If your not gonna burn it.........whats the plan for it?

Was it just a "I gotta mill something I'm going out of my mind need sawdust" moment.

Jeremy

Thanks for posting. I never thought of redgum or sweetgum as being particularly attractive. You've convinced me to go back through the pile of firewood logs and pull them out for milling! Curious why you used a CSM instead of the LT 10. Were they just too wide?

I actually enjoy using the 30LP chain....but like I said, didn't have one to fit the other brand of saw. Got some loops now though!

Didn't use the bandsaw mill for a couple of reasons.
#1: Was already using the chainsaw mill to take a slab off a chunk of hickory that was too wide to fit on the WoodMizer.

#2: The piece was right at 22-1/2" wide at it's widest point and I wanted to cut the piece in the direction I did to get the most out of the grain structure. The LT-10 with clear 20" between the guides....

#3: It is difficult to lock the short pieces onto the bunk of the WoodMizer, without making 'rigged' stuff. And my ability to come up with the 'rigging' is not within my patience parameter(I get to throwing things that don't work as intended)

#4: Was too lazy to get another blade out of the box.

Scott (besides, chainsaws are fun) B

Latest posts

Back