Some days...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday morning started out with the little boy in tears because his little electric powered Gator wouldn’t run. After a bit of messin’ ‘round and disassembly I determined one of the drive motors was bad. Some further disassembly and I had the motor in my hand. The darn thing ain’t designed to be “fixed”, a totally sealed unit. I looked at the boy and told him I couldn’t fix it… he looked as though someone had doused him with a bucket of cold water (dad can fix anything) and that’s when the tears started. OK… OK… I’ll try something… and I put the grinder to the crimps holding the brush retainer on. I managed to get the thing apart without destroying it, filed and cleaned the commentator, lubed the bearings, realigned the brushes, and somehow got the thing back together. I wasn’t holding on to much hope, but… It worked! But now I’d lost half the morning that I had planned to use for splitting wood… and it was already getting hot.

After dragging the splitter into the woodlot I came back for the trailer… and discovered the flat tire. Lost another hour or so foolin’ with that. Finally… ready to split wood. I got maybe half the trailer filled when the splitter made a terrible noise… and quit running. When I go to pull the rope… NO COMPRESION! Now I’m cussin’ like a drunkin’ sailor, throwing and kicking stuff… and sweatin’ in 90-plus degree heat. Hauled it up to the shop and pulled it apart; the strew holding the choke plate on had fallen out, been sucked into the engine, and got between the intake valve and head… bent the intake valve. I managed to straighten the valve (good enough) so it would seal and reassembled the engine. Found a screw for the choke plate and decided to use a bit of Lock-Tite on it… Ya’ know, some days it just don’t pay to get out’a bed… the damn bottle of Lock-Tite exploded (don’t ask) all over the carb, filling the inside of it. What a royal mess… I spent the next 4 hours cleaning that stuff from all the ports and passages. It was darn near 7:00 PM before I had the splitter running again.

I skipped supper and drank a box-o-beer instead… and there’s still a half load of splits in the trailer I never did unload.

I dunno...looks like we got us a new hero on board....wtg on putting the fix to that motor.

Life is not about what we want...it is about what we can do for others....we will always get ours..if we put others 1st.

Now sometimes others can be takers...be aware ,but they stick out like sore thumbs...still be there for them but make them earn the gift.

The boy...depending on his age may need a lesson too ..in that things don't always go our way of what we want...I re-learned that lesson this weekend.

White Spider...did you order a spare motor?

Again...wtg on the fix....you're his hero!

Be grateful you have the skill to rebuild an electric motor and an gas one at that! Some wouldn't have a clue where to start!

Last edited:
Now admit it - the smile on that boys face was worth every other irritant that happened that day.:msp_thumbup:

Your are your boys hero though...

I'd say in some years to come you'll be glad you fixed the boys stuff first. When the old back is too worn out to split
and all the other things you worked on are in the shed or belong to someone else, you'll remember the tears in his eyes
and he'll remember you did everything you could to make it work. I take my hat off to you sir. Let all the broken down
equipment sit for a day or a week and spend time with that little guy -- one day you'll be very glad you did! :msp_thumbup:

Back