some duck calls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swift4me

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Thought I'd post up some lathe work I've done lately. Aside from the ebony and rosewood calls, they are all from chainsaw milled wood from the farm.

IMGP2229.jpg

IMGP2230.jpg

IMGP2232.jpg

IMGP2235.jpg

IMGP2170.jpg

IMGP2078.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Pete

duck calls

Thanks for the kind words.

When I had a hunting and fishing store, I'd sell my ebony or cocobolo mallard calls for $140 and the whistles for $60. Now I'm in France where good calls don't really exist as alot of guys still use live decoys, so I'm thinking I'll be selling them for less.

Checkered or fancy glued up multi-wood calls are more expensive.

I made southern style box turkey calls for years in California for $125, but there were very few custom box call makers in the west. Seems like the prices are lower where there are more callmakers.

I'm starting to mess around with some copper reed Reelfoot tyle calls too.

I make my own inserts and spend alot of time tuning each one, so $60 seems cheap for the time involved.

I hope that answers the question.

Thanks,

Pete

Thanks for the kind words.

When I had a hunting and fishing store, I'd sell my ebony or cocobolo mallard calls for $140 and the whistles for $60. Now I'm in France where good calls don't really exist as alot of guys still use live decoys, so I'm thinking I'll be selling them for less.

Checkered or fancy glued up multi-wood calls are more expensive.

I made southern style box turkey calls for years in California for $125, but there were very few custom box call makers in the west. Seems like the prices are lower where there are more callmakers.

I'm starting to mess around with some copper reed Reelfoot tyle calls too.

I make my own inserts and spend alot of time tuning each one, so $60 seems cheap for the time involved.

I hope that answers the question.

Thanks,

Pete

French hunt? I thought they were against using guns?

wrong in Indiana

Hunting is a big thing here througout history and still today. Part of the reason for one of the French revolutions was that they tried to take away hunting and fishing from the general population.

It is suffering the same slow death as in America due to kids not taking it up, but the percentage of people who buy hunting lisences here is higher than most of the states in the US, except for Michigan, Montana, Alaska, Pennsylvania, etc.

I can buy 20 long guns cash and carry in a single day if I want to. Handguns are heavily regulated, but possible. Trap and skeet are big too. We have red stag, roe deer, wild boar, chamois, ducks, geese, woodcock, migratory pigeons, lots of red fox and others. Unfortunately, my two favorites, wild turkeys and coyotes are not founf here.... yet. I'm working on the turkey thing.

Oh... the thing about the French being rude... that BS too.

Pete

Hunting is a big thing here througout history and still today. Part of the reason for one of the French revolutions was that they tried to take away hunting and fishing from the general population.

It is suffering the same slow death as in America due to kids not taking it up, but the percentage of people who buy hunting lisences here is higher than most of the states in the US, except for Michigan, Montana, Alaska, Pennsylvania, etc.

I can buy 20 long guns cash and carry in a single day if I want to. Handguns are heavily regulated, but possible. Trap and skeet are big too. We have red stag, roe deer, wild boar, chamois, ducks, geese, woodcock, migratory pigeons, lots of red fox and others. Unfortunately, my two favorites, wild turkeys and coyotes are not founf here.... yet. I'm working on the turkey thing.

Oh... the thing about the French being rude... that BS too.

Pete

Bieng around the corner from Eibar and the Basque gun making cultural center, a fine made and balanced double should be in your future...

Some of the best firearms I have ever held, came from your neck of the woods. I'd be Gun poor and starving if I was you.:cheers:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Those are very nice looking calls. Hey find me a French model 1950 9mm . They are very hard to find in the states. I do have a 1935a nazi proofed :biggrinbounce2:.

Really nice work, I'd rather have a piece of hand made artwork like that than the acrylic calls of today, don't find that many quality wood calls here in the U.S. anymore. Cody and Camp both still make some very decent custom turkey calls though. What species of duck do they hunt?
Spent four or five days in Paris years ago, understand it's a tourist center, but they were the rudest, yankee hating people, I've see in my global travels, the vietmanese were friendlier.lol I understand from others Paris is not representative of the rest of the country.

thanks

THank you for the kind words on my calls. I really enjoy making and tuning each one. The tuning, same as in turkey calls, is the fun part. I've never turned acrylic, and will probably stay with wood, but I've blown alot of good acrylic calls too. When hunting in small spots, nothing beats wood for a ducky sound.

Dingeryote... From 2001 til last year I had a store in California selling fly fishing and high grade hunting items. We were a direct importer of Arrieta shotguns. Over the years, we visited the small shop several times and saw every step of the process. IN my store, we sold, or did importations for guns from Grulla, Arrizabalaga, and of course AyA.

I agree they are beautiful guns. Their biggest problem is a lack of young guys who want to learn the trade. Maybe with the crisis in Spain, more young kids will start to think about working with their hands. Maybe.

Pete

Thought I'd post up some lathe work I've done lately. Aside from the ebony and rosewood calls, they are all from chainsaw milled wood from the farm.

IMGP2229.jpg

IMGP2230.jpg

IMGP2232.jpg

IMGP2235.jpg

IMGP2170.jpg

IMGP2078.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Pete

What good would these calls be for us?

Our ducks don't speak French. :(

Very nice calls, and work. How do they blow?

you're almost right RValue

The European widgeon make a different sound than ours, but the green winged teal, pintails, mallards, gadwall and wood ducks all are the same.

Pete

Eurasian widgeon

Yes I agree, they are a beautiful bird. In California, they shoot a few hundred a year that cross over from the Asian flyways, but I've never killed one. They have a one-note whistle of about the same pitch as ours. I've had to tune my whistles differently, but still try to keep the other sounds it makes, like the pintail, drake mallard and teal.

Unfortunately I do not live in a very good part of France for duck hunting. I'm excited about checking out some spots in Spain where they hunt on rice fields. Unfortunately, I think they harvest too many ducks here, so there are ducks, but not like our great flyways in North America.

Pete

Amazing skill.
Very beautiful wood!!

I noticed that you mentioned coyotes, do you make Coyote Calls? If so, how much to ship to US?

Back