Some history, please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yah, I grew up in a suburb of the largest city in the PNW then (now Seattle is bigger) and my dad had a Homelite chainsaw. Macs were the ballsy saws that the loggers used. My brother and I got a pair of huge 36 inch Macs at a garage sale once when we had a landscape/tree biz in California (late 70's). At the end of that era, my brother bought a small Stihl and I got an Echo. Times were already changing (mid 80's).

I cannot see myself using that old Mac down in the barn for anything other than looking at. It is like the one in my avatar. Its is heavy, and requires a lot of stength just to start it up. It is a beast to get going. Once going in wood, it will rip. But then you have to remember to pump the bar oil as you go. The Olympyk is a lot lighter, and actually runs pretty good. It drives the 24 inch bar easy. No brake on that saw though; it never had one. :greenchainsaw:

The Stihls are so much lighter and easier to use. Once you get used to a 361 type saw, there is really no going back.

When I was a kid I just thought chainsaws were supposed to be yellow. The strange red one never lasted very long anyway.

I was born in 72 so my earliest memories were of the late 70's getting firewood with dad. He had a pair of 925 homelites that he traded a 090 for before I was born. He got the 090 for next to nothing from a logging outfit and had it rebuilt. He said the 925 were far and away better saws for 32" and smaller bars. I still have the one left thats in decent shape. I have also ran and owned both saws 090 and 925 and agree with dad. 090 is just kind of a big slow hog unless you have a huge bar on it. Both are easy to drop start so thats not a problem just hate the slower 090 speed. Nowdays I would never run any of the older saws in any brand. The new ones are just sooooo much better. But I will always have that 925 and start it up a few times a year. All the rest prob need to go though. I would say back in the day homies and macs were deff the top dogs in the cutting world. But could you imagine if someone time warped a ms660 back to 1970. They would have the same look on thier faces that I did after a buddy had me try his "sissy" 044 after running my 925 all day. :jawdrop:

Last edited:
Back