Some Ideas On Milky Hydraulic Fluid !!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainsteep

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Is it air or water and how would you be able to tell the difference, I drained the tank and pulled the filter and strainer and both were plugged, would that do it or is there something else wrong, would the plugged filters make the cylinders bleed down.also is it possible that it is sucking air in a return line but no leakes visible.

If it's white it's most likely water, brown, you have air in the sytem you need to bleed out.

Tst

To test for water just but some on a non flamable piece and put a torch to it if it spits and pops it has water in it. in the factories they use water in hyd. fluid to aid in the cooling. if the filters are pluged there may be other fluids in the mess.

Water in oil makes it look like a chocolate milkshake. Air bubbles are just airbubbles and if left to sit,like in a drainpan the bubbles will come out and fluid will look clear.:)

better get the fluid issue straightened out before major cold weather, it can ruin a hydraulic system or a trans on a piece of equipment.

Btw, what type of machine are you working on.

It doesn't take much water in the oil to make it look milky.
Found this:
Emulsified: Water and oil can form tight bonds that are difficult to break. This form of water in oil is what causes oil to become milky and is the most harmful. Oil will begin to become 'milky' at about 150 - 300 ppm, depending on the base stock and additive in the lubricant.

Is it air or water and how would you be able to tell the difference, I drained the tank and pulled the filter and strainer and both were plugged, would that do it or is there something else wrong, would the plugged filters make the cylinders bleed down.also is it possible that it is sucking air in a return line but no leakes visible.

So what were they plugged with?

better get the fluid issue straightened out before major cold weather, it can ruin a hydraulic system or a trans on a piece of equipment.

Btw, what type of machine are you working on.

i am working on joe a pc 400 komatsu (pics on the thread trying to get going)

So what were they plugged with?

YUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Clean the strainer, change the filters!!!

ok the fluid is brown and when you turn the joystick jumps in your hand.

You have air, and or a restriction in the system. Maybe you are sucking air in somewhere? Which Joystick? Travel or boom/bucket?

YUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Clean the strainer, change the filters!!!

You have air, and or a restriction in the system. Maybe you are sucking air in somewhere? Which Joystick? Travel or boom/bucket?

swing joystick, also when you lift the boom up it wants to keep going up when you release to stop.

i wonder if you have some sludge buildup in the tank? or some junk or someone put the wrong oil or other material in there.....

swing joystick, also when you lift the boom up it wants to keep going up when you release to stop.

Sounds like you need to look into the spool valves! Is this electric over Hyd controls? Sounds like one of the valves is sticking and may be going "over relief". Meaining it looses power because the valve is open and hitting the relief valve to bleed pressure off. Causes a loose of power and everything on the machine is "lethargic" in moving.

Sounds like you need to look into the spool valves! Is this electric over Hyd controls? Sounds like one of the valves is sticking and may be going "over relief". Meaining it looses power because the valve is open and hitting the relief valve to bleed pressure off. Causes a loose of power and everything on the machine is "lethargic" in moving.

Thanks for all the info going get the shop manual out and start reading on how to bleed the air out and look for the spool valves and that problem, thanks again

The biggest enemies of hydraulics is dirt and water. Better flush out the system and change the filters. And like red says check for something stuck or going over relief.

did you not say that one of the screens or filters was coming apart? was it breached? it could have gotten some sludge in the spool valve...
I think I would start by cleaning the tank and flushing the system and fresh filters... that seems like the cheapest place to start... no sense throwing parts at it and potentially ruining them with a contaminated system. it might be just some gunk in there... ( hows that for technical :dizzy: )

did you not say that one of the screens or filters was coming apart? was it breached? it could have gotten some sludge in the spool valve...
I think I would start by cleaning the tank and flushing the system and fresh filters... that seems like the cheapest place to start... no sense throwing parts at it and potentially ruining them with a contaminated system. it might be just some gunk in there... ( hows that for technical :dizzy: )

thanks all of you guys, that why i like this site, will keep you all posted.

This was happening on Melvin (the yoader) and the Kobelco loader on Monday. We're having some really (for here) cold weather. The loggers were saying that their problem with this would have been solved by changing to a lighter grade oil for the cold weather. Their solution for the day? Don't let go of the controls.

Joe is acclimated to Forks. He might take a while to get used to your climate.:)

Back